vodka from potatoes?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nzbourbonhead
Novice

vodka from potatoes?

Post by nzbourbonhead »

From what I understand vodka used to be made from fermenting potatoes. Has any one tried this and if so what is the procedure and the approx yields? here spuds can be a lot cheaper than sugar lol
Hic hic Now where did I put my glass
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I wish it were true, but I believe sugar still wins out in the cost competition.

From
http://homedistiller.org/wash-grain2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The potato is a relatively expensive source for alcohol. Potatoes contain 15-18% fermentable material while grains contain 50-67%. 10 kg of potatoes produce 1 litre of alcohol while 10 kg of grain produces 4 litres.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
nzbourbonhead
Novice

Post by nzbourbonhead »

Bugger to cold here to grow sugar cane lol
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

Yes, but you kiwi's don't have currently have an embargo against Cuba. Supposedly sugar prices in the USA would drop by about half if the embargo was lifted.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner
Josesillo
Bootlegger

Post by Josesillo »

JEJEJEJE i pity you all, at this time we have a very nice temperature of 24º C and of course we have plenty of sugar cane, maybe if any of you are willing to pay the shipment cost i could send you some by mail :twisted:
- - - - - - -

--Fishing and Distilling... What else is there to do???.--
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

What is dear about sugar in NZ? I used to get it for $0.80/kg but now it is $1.00. How is that too expensive?
Cheers,
Lindsay.
nzbourbonhead
Novice

Post by nzbourbonhead »

I am scottish heritage so allways looking for something cheaper ;)
swpeddle
Novice

Post by swpeddle »

[quote="nzbourbonhead"]I am scottish heritage so allways looking for something cheaper ;)[/quote]

you could wait for the sales at the supermarkets, etc. I grabbed a load of sugar for CAN$1 per 2kg bag last month. I felt kinda odd buying 24 bags of sugar and nothing else, though.
linw
Swill Maker

Post by linw »

swpeddle wrote: ..... I felt kinda odd buying 24 bags of sugar and nothing else, though.
You do a lot of fruit preserving in winter, right? :D
Cheers,
Lindsay.