Apricot Brandy Project

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

Apricot Brandy Project

Post by ron71157 »

After much research and many runs under my belt, am trying my first fruit project.
apricots in the blender
apricots in the blender
My neighbor has an apricot tree that produces well. I gathered 20# from the tree pitted them then threw them in a blender and made a puree.
apricot puree
apricot puree
Added enough water to make 6 gallons with 1TBS gypsum, 1TSP epsum and 1 TSP baking powder. Not alot of natural sugar in the mash so i added about 8# and ended up with an SG of 1.07. Good for a sugar-head. Tastes excellent. Subtle apricot flavor. There was a good head going on its own and i almost let it go naturally to see what happens but wound up adding 1/2 cup fleishman's just in case. Ph was about 4.2 and bubbling nicely so far.

I'll see how it goes.

Tons of fun
I wake up every morning at the crack of ice
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Apricot Brandy Project

Post by shadylane »

Looks good. It will make a good brandy.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

You reckon that tester readin true in that puddin.

So I'm tole
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

I continue to wonder why you guys put sugar in fruit mashes, it takes away sooo much flavour that the plus yield sugar cause is not comparable with the quality loss. If apricots are not very ripe then just put them in a cold cellar for a week, they will develop lot's of fructose inside them by that time. For a fruit mash I collect apricots from the ground, those are ripe and full with sugar already.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

Hey Paul, you are a frikken gem mate. I love the insights you have and share with us here!
Paulinka
Swill Maker

Post by Paulinka »

No, you're too kind. I read a vast of experiments and methods here, so I really feel obliged to share some tricks and tips too, so the community (and of course our friends and family) can have happiness with the spirits we make.
ron71157
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ron71157 »

Thanks shady! Actually strained some for the true reading..this particular fruit is never very sweet...besides.. At. 08 I would have had to harvest 100#. Not practical but might try it next year. For now here I go!!!!
Cheers!!!!
I wake up every morning at the crack of ice
kwik44
Novice

Post by kwik44 »

I do not want to start a new topic but have a quick question. Do you distill the apricots with stones or without? I had some doubts today and finally put all the stones into the boiler. But I am curious what’s the difference ;) unfortunately I have had only one batch so I cannot check it myself.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

With = more almond aspect just after hearts portion, bitterness. Free cyanide not a concern especially with proper heads removal.
Without = straightforward fruit flavor
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
kwik44
Novice

Post by kwik44 »

Thanks MDH. I was just wondering about off-flavours. CN^{-1} is not a problem. From time to time I drink stone extracted vodka. OK then, I will watch the tails during spirit run. Bitterness shall not be a big problem, it shall smooth with time. I just have to pick the right level of it.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

kwik44 wrote:I do not want to start a new topic but have a quick question. Do you distill the apricots with stones or without? I had some doubts today and finally put all the stones into the boiler. But I am curious what’s the difference ;) unfortunately I have had only one batch so I cannot check it myself.
When you say 'stones'...

Of course you crack the stones open and discard them and use the Kernels, probably broken up a bit.
This is how you make Amaretto also, apricot kernels and maybe some almonds...

Geoff
The Baker
kwik44
Novice

Post by kwik44 »

I have used whole ones - those were from sour cherry. I like this woody/almond taste ;) The other were seed from chaenomeles (tiny, extremely sour, lemon like taste fruits). This year there is a lot of fruits in Poland so I will try other ones. Thanks for the hint.

To summ up the apricots - I did a spirit run today. Used my 3 tray bubble cap column. Up to ~96 degrees celsius in the boiler there was no bitterness, just pure fruit. Some started occurring between 96/97 so at 97°C I decided to switch the glass. I still have got ca 0.4l early tails and 0.5 late ones. I will give them a few days of aeration and then decide whether to mix them or not. The harts have a subtle almond smell. Last step is the most difficult - let it age undisturbed in a stoneware jug...
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi, kwik44,

Does the stoneware jug have any advantages?
I have just a few of them...
Normally I would use glass containers with oak 'dominoes'; I would like to use a barrel if I had one...

Geoff
The Baker
kwik44
Novice

Post by kwik44 »

I would say it depends how was it made. Those I have allow the distillate to breathe and thus mimic the barrel ageing. I have a 2yo plum brandy sitting in a glas jar and the second one in the jug. The difference is enormous, you would't say those were the same... The same is with my kirschwasser made recently. You can smell the difference after only a month. So that is why I am I am using stoneware jugs for the most of my "white" distillates. You can also age with oak, 1-2 cubes (1cm^3 each) is enough for a gallon of brandy.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Thanks, I will give it a try with those few stoneware jugs!

And watch out for more.

Geoff
The Baker