Already rotting fruit?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

A-Rob
Novice

Already rotting fruit?

Post by A-Rob »

I couldn't find anything on this... I have a massive amount of muscadines and scuppernongs. They have started falling so we picked them. I didn't have my tubs clean and ready so by today they were already self fermenting lol can I still use them to make mash? Or will they not yield alcohol? My intentions were to make single run brandy with them in my pot still. Any help would be much appreciated. Shine on.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Already rotting fruit?

Post by NZChris »

Don't wait for answers, tread them now.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I would smash, juice or sqiush whatever then taste the must. If it tastes good :thumbup: . if it has off flavours its your call. Remember shit in =shit out most of the time. Even if it isn't up to par its a still run to learn from.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

If they are gettin a little ripe I would throw them in the freezer untill you figure out what you are going to do with them. Get enough to liquidfy and make 1 run. Do what Jedneck says. If it is real ripe then it has prob got max sugar. Max sugars is good. Freeze it before it rots. If it has bad stuff in it cut it out. Get it all frozen at max sugars and when you get enough to make a run beat the shit out of it and take out the pits and get ready to make good drop. Still it and let it age a few moths before you put your lips on it and enjoy. Single run/double run your ideas only but no sugars. Max flavors. Read taters peach thread in tried and true real quick and follow. ENJOY
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

already rotting and already fermenting are two totally different things.

Many old hobby distillers live for a huge score of ripe fruit... :D

That, to me, was what this hobby is all about...

Best of luck!
this is the internet
A-Rob
Novice

Post by A-Rob »

The fruit is already smelling rotten and musty, not mold as its refrigerated but shriveling and stout. Gonna mash it up, get the floaties out and drop some ec1118 in there this afternoon. Guess ill know where I stand in a couple days :-)