Apple wash with grape brandy feints

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Apple wash with grape brandy feints

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey y'all
I was lucky enough to taste BigBobs apple brandy that he made from apple cider. I've never had apple brandy before and really liked it. So I was at Walmart and found some Musslemans apple cider. $3.99 a gal. Needless to say I bought 5 gallons of the stuff. It's been fermenting for the last 2 weeks. I'll do a slow single run in a couple more weeks. I'm excited because of how good Bigbobs was. I've searched the forum and can't find anything about mixing grape brandy feints with an apple wash before distilling. I have a 5 gal. wash and want to add a quart of tails from a grape brandy I made 6 months ago. Is this a good idea? Will it change the flavor profile in a bad way? It's a apple cider wash with grape brandy tales 30% ABV. What do you apple experts think?
Thanks in advance
J.C.
JBC
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Apple wash with grape brandy feints

Post by cranky »

My thought is don't add it because this is your first apple brandy so keep it all apple to keep from mixing flavors, maybe add it on the next one or save it for an all feints run.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Cranky for the advice. I'll probably just do that. But I'm still interested in knowing if I add the grape feints will it be undesirable. Is it something that is done. Like adding grain feints for whiskey. I know the taste profile of wine brandy and apple brandy are different but can they be blended, and would most like the result?
I only have 5 gal of wash ( OG 1.040) FG- don't know yet. Just looking to boost my yield a little. But if it's at the cost of flavor it isn't worthwhile to me. Oh and it'll be aged on medium chard toasted Oak for around a year.
J.C.
JBC
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

That's just it, if you had done apple before and want to experiment I'd say go for it but if it did turn out that you didn't like it you wouldn't know if it was from the grape feints or the apple. I do so much apple now that I can actually experiment, that is if I actually kept track of my feints :roll: I found a coupe unlabeled jars in a cabinet yesterday that must be from brandy but damned if I can remember exactly what they were from and for some reason they aren't labeled. I did find one labeled plum feints but it has been years since I've managed to do a plum, that was back what I ran a little boiler. I have had good results with a "clean out the freezer" mixed fruit and accidentally mixing in some pear into the apple but like I said for the first time I don't think I would do it just to simplify things.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

That's sound advice. When I started it was sugar washes, all sorts from Tried-and-true. And when I graduated to all grain. It was Booners all corn, then all wheat malt, malted barley etc. Now I'm combining all sorts of grains. The specialty grains are the most fun. It kind of scares me that I might love the apple brandy. That means a grinder, press, more storage containers, tons of smashed Apple's to dispose of. Damn that would be fun! Gonna have to build another shed... oh boy, gotta take a brake. It's tiring me out just writing about it.
I love it.
Thank you Cranky
J.C.
JBC
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Yep it gets out of control quickly, Have you seen the pictures of my garden? It is currently covered with a layer of apple pomace at least 12 inches thick and that was after I filled up a 55 gallon composter, I keep building more, better, faster equipment to process it. I'm working on another apple chopper just because, I certainly don't need it :crazy: My garage has various fermenters all over the place. It never stops, but that seems to be the natural progression of this hobby.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yes!
I guess you know your hooked when all your other hobbies get pushed behind all the brewing equipment.
I'm becoming as big of a packrat as my wife.
Is there a support group for this addiction?
Just kidding.
Have a good one.
J.C.
JBC
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

JellybeanCorncob wrote: Is there a support group for this addiction?
Of course there is
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =7&t=53102
Isn't there a support group for everything now a days? :moresarcasm:
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

It figures.
Funny funny!
U guys da best!
J.C.