Guelder Rose

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Guelder Rose

Post by Pikey »

I have come across a cluster of bushes. The fruit is huge (well 3/8" anyhow) berry with a single seed, grows in bunches like elderberries and so easy to pick in clumps. Seed is spread by birds and there are recipes for Jams and Jellies made of it. Here is the wiki of it :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_opulus

Now so far so good - but it is supposed to be slightly toxic (as are so many other things)

I'm thinking I can probaby gather enough to do a 25 litre wash if I use the 3lb fruit in 1 gallon rule of thumb.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience of this little beasty ?
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Guelder Rose

Post by Pikey »

Opinions seem to vary, but they seem safe enough !

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46344

I'm wondering how they would taste macerated in a Bacardi(ish) :)
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Don't know about Viburnum opulus, but Viburnum trilobum (a related species commonly called highbush cranberry, although it is not actually a cranberry) is used to make liqueurs.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

sweeps wrote:Don't know about Viburnum opulus, but Viburnum trilobum (a related species commonly called highbush cranberry, although it is not actually a cranberry) is used to make liqueurs.
Do you have any info as to how it is used please ?

[Edit - AHa I found it !
"..............Place berries with roughly an equal weight of white sugar in a non-metal receptacle with a tight fitting lid. Pour vodka over the fruit to cover. Stir it once a day until the sugar dissolves, and allow to age for one month. Strain and bottle....."

https://alongthegrapevine.wordpress.com/tag/liqueur/
That looks and sounds so similar - I'll try a bottle then - thanks for posting 8) ]
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Oh and here we have a wine recipe - almost exactly as my thoughts above :)

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/highbush.asp

[Edit - credit where it's due - tht site is Jack Keller . net ]
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I've never made a liqueur or wine with highbush cranberries, but I've tried them raw. They were REALLY sour.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

sweeps wrote:I've never made a liqueur or wine with highbush cranberries, but I've tried them raw. They were REALLY sour.
Your highbush and my Guelder rose seem so similar that I suspect they are probably the same - if tehy were tested - with the three part leaf and the purpling of the leaves in the fall etc etc. They do say the berries are sweeter after the first frost and that can be mimicked by sticking them in the freezer for a couple of days.

We have "sloes" over here which are so sour they pretty much seize your mouth up when you try to chew them - but they make a liqueur which is delicious. I do several gallons each year, even though it takes a kg of berries to do a gallon and there are a thousand plus berries in a kg - As a wine though they were way to sour. But a quick pass through the tea urn might cure that - or not I don't know how well "Sour" distils over :shock:

We shall see - but I'm deffo going to do that liqueur. The berries are supposed to hang about long enough for you to make it and try it then go and get a load more berries if it works !
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

I grew up in England and I have quite a few childhood memories of helping to pick sloes, quinces, wild plums and other hedgerow fruit. I was a bit too young for sloe gin, though!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

As I live in Gelderland, the Guelder Rose should be found here. I will look around.
But there is some project about elderberry too.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Kareltje wrote:As I live in Gelderland, the Guelder Rose should be found here. I will look around.
But there is some project about elderberry too.
Yes I believe so. They are less than everywhere - and I tend to find them on the edges of woodland fairly close to water, where there is a path around the woodland.

I'm having trouble with elderberry - most by far have dried up on the bushes - black yes - useable no. I have found a few bushes which seem ok, but it's going to be hard work !
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I have tried that 'stir once a day until the sugar is dissolved' and it is a minor PITA.

Can't tell you whether it was as good but I think it was (it was a while ago)....added simple syrup instead.
Seemed logical.

Geoff
The Baker
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Thanks fotr the thought 8)

Here is how it has gone so far ;
Guelder makins  resize.jpg
Berries in the jar, tasted one - not as sour as I was expecting.
Berries in the jar, tasted one - not as sour as I was expecting.
OOps - a little too much sugar methinks
OOps - a little too much sugar methinks
And perhaps a little too much juice !
And perhaps a little too much juice !
I think I've overdone the sugar and spirit a bit - so I'll try it in a week or so and if I pass any more berries in teh meanwhile I'll pick some.

I usually do the "fruit and sugar" method as the abv drops due to the ingredients and adding sugar as syrup will just dilute it more. A quick shake of the flagon once a day is no great hardship and even if you miss afew days, the sugar still dissolves.

SO there we are started with the liqueur then - easy as that !

[Edit - I wonder if it will be pink ?]