Muscadine brandy question

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Notsob17
Novice

Muscadine brandy question

Post by Notsob17 »

From what i have read?to keep the flavor of the Muscadines, i should only run it once. Should i run it about the same as i do a spirit run of UJ? This mash was from 85lbs of fruit i picked this year. I have another 95lbs ready to go as soon as the fermenter is free. The wine taste really really good. As you can tell, it looks really good too. I have high hopes for this. Any tips are welcome. First ever run besides UJ. Its at practically 1.0 right now.
Attachments
D4729E6A-D1B4-4E6A-A552-307D8B58C26F.jpeg
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Muscadine brandy question

Post by NZChris »

I don't know where you read that, but it doesn't sound right to me. To get the most flavor out of any grape, I would run it like Cognac distillers do.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Run it like UJSSM, slow and easy. Make good cuts. It needs to age. I put mine on some oak. Definately brandy but makes a great mixer with sprite as well.
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Notsob17
Novice

Post by Notsob17 »

ga flatwoods wrote:Run it like UJSSM, slow and easy. Make good cuts. It needs to age. I put mine on some oak. Definately brandy but makes a great mixer with sprite as well.
GA Flatwoods
Ga Flat,,,i used your recipe and i am really pleased. 84 lbs fruit, 28 lbs sugar, and 10 1/2 gallon water. I may just have to put away a few bottles of the wine,,,its that good. I need to build a de huller like you outlines. I heated up the fruit on the stove and mashed them with a mallet. I ended up with 17.5 gallons. I’ll lose some when everything settles but im really pleased with the amount of juice i pulled from the fruit. I did freeze them prior to,,,some have been in the freezer since last year.

I have 94 pounds in a cooler now thawing. I hope to have them ready to put in the fermenter tomorrow!
Attachments
F77FB7AC-757E-426F-9AF7-E9E823E835B8.jpeg
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Nice! If you build the grater be sure to try to find a piece of stainless cage wire rather than galvanized hardware cloth. Safer and will last longer. Be careful with the mallet to not crack the seed. If you do it will gain excess tannins and taste like dirt!
Ga Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Worm_Drippinz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Worm_Drippinz »

Looks mighty fine!!!!!!!
J0hnni3
Novice

Post by J0hnni3 »

I'm sorry that I missed this one, when it first came out. In case there's still interest, my own experience is that doing the ferment on the skins helped capture the favor. I've also done something that makes it not a true brandy, but was very happy with the outcome... I fermented the grapes and juice, siphoned off the juice, then I fermented a sugarhead on the remaining skins, then I blended both together and ran that. I ended up with quite a lot of product, and with both the grape flavor, and that foxy flavor coming through quite well and in good balance.
Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road »

For those type grapes I distill the lot, pulp, and skins....
You get really good flavour carry over, I just ran a 120kg of grapes that way.
Attachments
9F4E02C8-58C5-4CE1-9A86-A33393A233D4.jpeg
Never mistake kindness for weakness....