Seattle 3 pepper cider

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

hidalgo
Novice

Seattle 3 pepper cider

Post by hidalgo »

I have been asked to recreate Seattle 3 pepper cider. I see there blend of apples and even the type of peppers, but my question is two fold.

1. What quantity of peppers would a person use for a 10 gallon batch?
2. At what point during ferment would a person introduce them?
hidalgo
Novice

Re: Seattle 3 pepper cider

Post by hidalgo »

Ok, no imput. Here is what I propose:

I am going to maceration the peppers, individually, and put them in as I start the ferment. Each type of pepper will be in its own cheesecloth baggie. As the ferment progresses I will be able to taste the cider. I will be able to pull the peppers to get the taste just the way I want.

The peppers I am going to use are jalapeño, habañero, and poblano. I envision going light on the habañero, with more jalapeño and poblano playing larger rolls in the flavor profile.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

If people could help you they would. Seems like you can experiment and report to us.

My experience with peppers is in beer. Added to the boil, it gives flavor ( pre alcohol exposure). Added to the ferment, it adds heat. Alcohol extracts the heat in peppers. So, the longer the point in the ferment it is introduced the more heat, in relation, it adds.

However, my suggestion is to make a tincture with the peppers in a neutral or vodka. Then you can add that to the finished cider, in regulated proportions. Fermenting them doesn't do a whole lot that back adding won't.

Add far as the product you are trying to emulate, I have no freakin' clue. Don't know the product, don't know a recipe to start with. Your going to have to do some leg work first to get the ball rolling, and the fills here will probably have a better shot at helping you steer it.

Edit* Veteran tip - remove all seeds and throw away. Don't use 'em.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Thanks a ton, those thoughts on adding the peppers are great. The seeds are a no go, especially in the habañero. Maybe the poblano, not the jalapeño either. This is about flavor.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will report back.
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

Well, ferment is going. Typically slow for a fruit, as things progress, I will keep this post updated.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I live in the State of Washington and not sure what this is? Are we talking about a spiced cider, a whiskey cider,....
hidalgo
Novice

Post by hidalgo »

It is from the Seattle Cider Co. A limited brew with the peppers I mentioned.