Pie Filling Ferment

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pie Filling Ferment

Post by WIski »

I have the opportunity to acquire a large amount of peach pie filling very cheap. I've looked around a bit for information on fermenting but haven't found much here. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to properly prepare the pie filling for fermentation? Any advice is appreciated and much thanks in advance........ :eugeek:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Pie Filling Ferment

Post by still_stirrin »

What's in the filling? Real peaches, corn syrup, artificial flavoring & color?

Does it contain potassium sorbate? Potassium sorbate is used to inhibit molds and yeasts in many foods, such as cheese, wine, yogurt, dried meats, apple cider, soft drinks and fruit drinks, and baked goods.

If you think it'll ferment...give it a try. But don't be surprised if it doesn't. And likely, it won't ferment completely dry. But don't overlook the proper care for the yeast: nutrients, oxygen/aeration, temperature and pitch rate.

At the very least, perhaps you'll get a nice sweet peach wine to sip...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Over many many years I have tried to make "Peach wine" and never got so much as a hint of peach flavour out of it ! Yet at the "Offy" I could buy "Peach wine" out of the cask which tasted very "Peach" indeed.

It's a liqueur mate - just make some alcohol and soak peaches in it ! - Try it with your "Pie filling" - I bet it'll come out really nice ! :)

[EDit - if you have enough sugar in your pie filling and no other use for it - then by all means ferment it and use the alcohol you produce as a base - then you'll see what I mean ! ]
Last edited by Pikey on Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

If it's canned you should be fine, anything in plastic and you'll probably run into what SS said. Canned things get pasteurized in the can after closing so they don't need preservatives.

Should be a fun experiment! :thumbup:
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Thanks SS. As far as the ingredients I would guess all of the mentioned. I don't have access to view the product yet but I will try and get confirmation on the contents. I didn't figure on the preservatives. Good insight there! If I can get it cheap enough I may just roll with it and see where it goes. I'm also going to do some research on dealing with the possible preservatives and stalled fermentation.
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Pikey, I have read Taters exploits with peach's and have always wanted a go at it. Your suggestion has me thinking...... :crazy:

Thanks for shakin the tree......
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

Thanks One Malt, I will be confirming ingredients before I start. Thanks for the heads up. :eugeek:
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Hi, Potassium sorbate prohibits yeast reproduction so if it has that then it probably won't ferment. If it has Potassium Metabisulfite then that should be fine as a preventative which will gas out in a day or so then continue fermenting with your yeast. I'll hit a fruit mix (fresh fruit wine) with Potassium Metabisulfite to slow down wild yeasties enough for my yeast starter to kick in and kill those wild mf's...

Good luck!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

WIski wrote:Pikey, I have read Taters exploits with peach's and have always wanted a go at it. Your suggestion has me thinking...... :crazy:

Thanks for shakin the tree......
Nuthin' to lose really is there ? If the ferment goes good and produces good peach shine - You're on a winner. If'n you hold some back, you can add it back as "flavour" when you get your "shine" made

Please DO report back and let us know how it goes 8)

Got a link to Tater's peach exploits ?
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

JS, I've been reading on potassium sorbate and yes it only prohibits yeast reproduction so I guess you could get some fermentation from the initial inoculation. What I was wondering is if you could introduce enough yeast on the onset or keep adding yeast until all the sugar was gone?? Does the potassium sorbate get used up as it does its work?? Would you be able to overcome it by using more yeast?? There is not much info out there on defeating this beast. That's probably why it's such a popular preservative.....
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

If you can get a first can of it to experiment with you can half fill a row of glasses, add varying amounts of water from none to 50% water in those glasses (there are gelatins and thickeners in most fillings) stir, add bread yeast. You'll know what is bubbling in less than a half hour and how you should handle that whole pickup load on their dock.

You might mix your water to thin out the goop, strain out the peach bits from the sugar, grind up the peach bits, and ferment separately.