blaze my own trail

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bigbuck
Swill Maker

blaze my own trail

Post by bigbuck »

found some cheap bananas yesterday need to use quick so I'm gonna try a strawberry banana wash, and I need some input on nutirents for wash, can I just add some oats or cereal to wash to achieve this? gonna use bananas, strawberries, yeast, water, and a little sugar so far, shooting for around an 8 gallon wash
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: blaze my own trail

Post by firewater69 »

Banana is a very delicate flavor, you'll get more if you let the bananas get overripe and use the peels as well, there is a lot of flavor in them. There is a couple of threads on bananas around here. I see no reason to add grains, just treat it like a wine ferment.
Edit: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=58248
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

If you have a thumper, you might want to shoot the thumper with them. That way you won't lose the banana flavor in the mash.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

firewater69 wrote:Banana is a very delicate flavor, you'll get more if you let the bananas get overripe and use the peels as well, there is a lot of flavor in them. There is a couple of threads on bananas around here. I see no reason to add grains, just treat it like a wine ferment.
Edit: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 38&t=58248
Are the bananas not often treated with fungicides to preserve them?
firewater69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by firewater69 »

I just wash them like any other fruit.
Moonshine.... American as apple pie & it's part of our heritage, history & culture.
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

I decided not to use the peels, had 7lb of bananas bout 7 lb of strawberries heated everything to 140 and let it sit for an hour and 5lb of sugar and 1lb of brown sugar and then gonna pitch it, lil lite on the fruit but I am in new territory, run it through pot still and see what happens, just doing a little R&D for fruit season
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Just so you know, fruit tends to take a bit longer to ferment than a wash or mash. Give it the time it needs to ferment dry.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Collect in small jars, half pints!
The flavors will be more so in the heads and early hearts rather than later on.

Give it some time after blending, alot of time really as the fruit will hide for a good spell and may or may not reappear.

Good luck, Shine0n
bigbuck
Swill Maker

Post by bigbuck »

thanks for all the input fellas, I will post progress and results when finished :thumbup: