Fruitori mash distilling

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lucazzu
Novice

Fruitori mash distilling

Post by Lucazzu »

Hi guys,
Since i've some Apple and pear laying around i was thinking about a bit of mash for something like a brandy

I was Reading and Reading about that but i didn't understand something, does fruit mash produce more methanol and other unhealty things?!
What quantity do you think is to throw away for foreshot and heads ti be sure?

Thanks!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fruitori mash distilling

Post by fizzix »

Here's a whole bunch on fruit and foreshots:Fruit & Foreshots

Also you need to know how to use HD Google Search at top of page:
HD Google Search.jpg
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

I gave up on trying to go by specific numbers a long time ago. I think foreshots and other cuts are one of those things you just have to learn by trying. It's usually pretty easy to tell the forshots from the acetone smell, other cuts can be harder especially with fruit but there is no specific set number I can throw out there that would be anywhere near accurate. Brandy cuts can be tricky because of where different flavors fall during a run. For me apple usually requires some heads while pear flavor tends to come over in the early tails but it is something that has to be experienced to figure out.

I know, probably not the answer your looking for but it's true, give it a go and you will understand. You will also understand why I feel free fruit is the best fruit.
Lucazzu
Novice

Post by Lucazzu »

fizzix wrote:Here's a whole bunch on fruit and foreshots:Fruit & Foreshots

Also you need to know how to use HD Google Search at top of page:
HD Google Search.jpg
You're right! That's fine! Thanks
Lucazzu
Novice

Post by Lucazzu »

cranky wrote:I gave up on trying to go by specific numbers a long time ago. I think foreshots and other cuts are one of those things you just have to learn by trying. It's usually pretty easy to tell the forshots from the acetone smell, other cuts can be harder especially with fruit but there is no specific set number I can throw out there that would be anywhere near accurate. Brandy cuts can be tricky because of where different flavors fall during a run. For me apple usually requires some heads while pear flavor tends to come over in the early tails but it is something that has to be experienced to figure out.

I know, probably not the answer your looking for but it's true, give it a go and you will understand. You will also understand why I feel free fruit is the best fruit.
Ho cranky!
That's barely what i was looking for! So i must learn to cut! I'll try to run something , i'll have some kg of Apple to give a try!