Comparison Pear Fruit Juice Concentrate to Fresh

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Comparison Pear Fruit Juice Concentrate to Fresh

Post by gsugg »

I've got opportunity to get 5 gallons of pear juice concentrate from a decent size fruit processor. They recommend using a 6.51 to 1 ratio to bring brix from 70 in concentrate to 12 for single strength. My thoughts are to use ratio of 4.61 to 1 and end up with brix at 16 and SG of maybe 1.065 for a possible abv of 8.8 or close depending on how dry it goes. First, I'm going to use nothing but juice and yeast with maybe some nutrients. I don't want to add sugar cause it might wash out the pear flavor. Has anybody ever compared running fresh pressed to commercial concentrate (with no additives)? We've had several hurricanes in the past 10 to 15 years that have brought down a lot of our fruit trees in the area and I'm thinking the concentrate may be the way I have to go. Can I expect decent flavor off of commercial concentrate. Price runs like $10 to $16 per gallon of undiluted so it's reasonable.
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Re: Comparison Pear Fruit Juice Concentrate to Fresh

Post by distiller_dresden »

I've never used fresh, but I've been using this concentrate I found on Amazon in an apple brandy wash recently and 1/2 gallon in a 6 gallon wash added a wonderful pear flavor in the wash, a floral perfume in the cider, and a ghost of pear perfume almost like a dryer sheet in my brandy that's aging off on wood now. It's also a massive sugar punch for brandy washes, while being all fruit/no added sugar, so I am freaking in love with pear juice concentrate and say go whole hog and get it while getting is good and make yourself an apple brandy with a pear nose, a peach/pear brandy, pear/apricot brandy. The concentrate is awesome far as I'm concerned.

What's the company, can you put me in touch with them? I would love to order a 5 gallon bucket of their concentrate if possible because this stuff is my new favorite thing, but the 32oz bottles I've been getting are $20 each on Amazon and it's really pricey. I want to do a rum with a gallon of the stuff thrown in to see what happens to the flavor...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

If you run straight concenrate (after diluting so brix is reasonable not to stress yeast), just 1118 yeast and time is all you need. Resist the adding sugar thing. You'll be glad you did. PM me and I'll send you the info on the company with prices and a contact person. Edit: also, if you finish off a gallon or so as wine, back sweeten it, then use this to proof your brandy down; it really packs that pear flavor back in it.
Greg
distiller_dresden
Trainee

Post by distiller_dresden »

I'll shoot you a PM! I don't add sugar for brandies because I don't want to harm the flavor, but I have been using pear juice concentrate AS my sugar punch because it is so syrupy and high in sugar. It really added something to my apple brandy, I can't wait to see how it is after it's gotten done wooding, and then aged a few months, to see where it is then. If I can pick the pear out now, it should be something special in about 6 months...
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."