Fresh Pressed Apple Juice - Is this a good deal?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Fresh Pressed Apple Juice - Is this a good deal?

Post by gsugg »

So my oldest just called and she has a friend in grad school with her and their family owns an apple orchard in the mountains of NC. She said they'd let me have all the unpasteurized apple juice I wanted at $4 per gallon. Is that a good price? I haven't done any checking around and this just came out of the blue. Curious cause I'd love to run some since it's fresh and straight off the fruit press.
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fresh Pressed Apple Juice - Is this a good deal?

Post by nerdybrewer »

Not sure about NC but that would be a real good price here.
I'm not too far from the apple orchards of Washington state, fresh pressed would be a lot higher here (unless you are Cranky and get your apples for free and press them yourself LOL).
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Nerdy,
That's the impression I got was that for premium pressings, the price was reflecting that my daughter was a friend. Wonder if they'll feel that way when i tell them I want about 100 gallons!!
nerdybrewer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nerdybrewer »

gsugg wrote:Nerdy,
That's the impression I got was that for premium pressings, the price was reflecting that my daughter was a friend. Wonder if they'll feel that way when i tell them I want about 100 gallons!!
Would make some great hard cider!
Cranky's spoonfeeding:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52975

Time and Oak will sort it out.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Depending on where your location is it could be a good price. I've recently been looking into it and 4 bucks is about what you pay in Washington and Ohio in smaller 50 gallon quantities. In other states it can go a lot higher.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Yes, We have 2 orchards on an island and a small distillery wanted us to press the apples and they would buy them for $3.00 a gallon. With our small set up it wasn't worth our time. In the stores we pay that for a half gallon.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

One of my local brew shops is selling unpasteurized apple juice for double that price so I will say that $4 a gallon is a good one.

OVZ
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Below Walmart price.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Even Tree top runs $3 to $5 a gallon in the stores here. Unpasteurized is not the easiest to find now a days. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Bushman wrote:Yes, We have 2 orchards on an island and a small distillery wanted us to press the apples and they would buy them for $3.00 a gallon. With our small set up it wasn't worth our time. In the stores we pay that for a half gallon.
I was just sitting here doing the math on that
On my best tree this year I picked 184 pounds of apples in an hour
184#s = about 12 gallons of juice and took about another hour to process
So $3 a gallon at 6 gallons per hour average works out to about $18 an hour.
That's not worth it to me seeing as how I make considerably more than that fabricating steering wheels and apple chopper parts...I mean "Working" :shh: but for some enterprising young people they could make a real go of that.

If I weren't such a cheap bastard I'd be more than willing to give $4 a gallon for fresh pressed :problem: Hell come to think about it at that price I could work a day of over time and buy 100 gallons and be set for the year without having to really work at it. :think: maybe I need to find a deal like that.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Maybe you could find an apple press on Craigslist and call up "all apple orchards". Once the hurricane passes you could probably haul away as many pounds as you can pick off the ground for free.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer