Muscadines

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Muscadines

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey friends- this yr my vines did much better than last yr, and I have lot more grapes, so far I’ve got 11 gal of ripe black muscadines and bronze scuppernongs. I wanna distill them and try my hand at a grape brandy. I’ve done peach and pear but never tried grapes before n I wanted ask some of you guys that have worked with grapes before- Can I get away with adding any sugar? I have no idea how many lbs or gallons I need to make 20 gal of wash, I was jus gna wash n press everything I can get n see how much juice n pulp I have. I wanted find out if grapes have enough flavor carry over so I could add some sugar n maybe cpl gal of water if need to til I hit the 20 gal mark. Any help here be appreciated. I only got enough grapes to try it once so I wanna do good job.
I use a simple 15 gal copper boiler. I have a 8 gal copper thumper n worm but I think I jus gna use boiler n condenser n run twice.
semper fi
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Muscadines

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Do you have a refracto or any other way to read the sugar content of the grape Juice? Remember adding sugar will dilute the grape flavors.

OVZ
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Also if you are around 24 brix you will be fine without adding sugar

OVZ
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

I don’t have a brix refractometer but I do have a simple sg beer hydrometer . I’m not real sure where to be far as starting sugar content, I figured maybe 1.08 or 1.09. I think I see where your going with this- crush n press grapes, see what my sg reading is and then decide how much sugar n water if any can be added. Is that right?
I’ve read several recipes using grapes n they all vary. Does anyone know round about how many lbs of gallons of grapes per gal of wash? Just a good estimate?
semper fi
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Meant to type lbs or gal- sorry
semper fi
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

From my experience working at a winery we estimate 15 to 20 lbs for each gal of finished product, this includes spillage and waste. We are also processing many tons of fruit so our wastes are a bit higher than someone processing fruit on a small scale.
I think that at home on a small scale and only fermenting to still I think that you can figure on 13 lbs to a gal of juice. Grape with tough skins ( cab sav and ...) you might get a little less.

OVZ
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey that’s a good reference and help, thank you ovz
semper fi