Free Fruit!!

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Free Fruit!!

Post by jog666 »

A neighbor brought down a few blue & rasp berries today. I asked if he had more & sure as shit he did & brought it all down.
blueberry - 1.jpg
3# Raspberry
1# 6oz fresh blueberry
16# frozen blueberry

I thumbed through HD along with a few wine sites while the smoker was going. All of the wine sites say add a bunch of sugar & other shit to make wine. I didnt really want to add any sugar or other crap. At the most, water to get the volume up.
blueberry - 2.3.jpg
Blended the hell out of it all. Since the frozen berries were still half froze, I set the pot on the fire box & would give it a stir every so often to keep it from burning or sticking.
blueberry - 3.jpg
Ended up with just under 2.5g. Added enough water to hit 4g
blueberry - 4.jpg
I pulled a sample out to filter so I could check the starting gravity. 1.030
Not that great but it was free.

Thinking about adding some sugar to it but not sure. One thought was to let it finish, rack it into another bucket with some sugar water to get the volume & gravity up then run that. Or run as is, use the backset to melt the sugar & dump onto the solids then run that when done. Thoughts?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Free Fruit!!

Post by still_stirrin »

jog666 wrote:I pulled a sample out to filter so I could check the starting gravity. 1.030...Thinking about adding some sugar to it but not sure. One thought was to let it finish, rack it into another bucket with some sugar water to get the volume & gravity up then run that. Or run as is, use the backset to melt the sugar & dump onto the solids then run that when done. Thoughts?
With an OG = 1.030, your "potential" ABV is only 3.87%ABV. And since you only have 4 gallons, the "potential" alcohol is only 3.87% x 4 = 0.155 gallons (at 100%). But that means you'd only collect roughly 1.24 quarts of product at an average of 100 proof (50%ABV). Not much to make cuts from.

I would add some sugar and let it ferment out. If you add enough to get the OG = 1.075, you'd have a potential of 9.67%ABV, which will give you roughly 3.1 quarts at 100 proof (potentially). That would be a little easier to make the cuts.

Watch the acid level with those berries. Raspberries can be acidic and as the ferment progresses, it could attenuate quickly due to the dropping pH. Adjust with pickling lime if it gets below pH = 4.0.

If it were me....I'd add sugar to bring the OG up. YMMV.
ss

p.s. - remember, when you do run the fruit wash/must, much of the estery fruit flavor will be early in the run. So, don't waste the heads...keep them for blending.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

:clap: YOU LUCKY BASTARD! Way to go jog666! :clap:
Getting hung up all day on smiles
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

still_stirrin wrote:
jog666 wrote:I pulled a sample out to filter so I could check the starting gravity. 1.030...Thinking about adding some sugar to it but not sure. One thought was to let it finish, rack it into another bucket with some sugar water to get the volume & gravity up then run that. Or run as is, use the backset to melt the sugar & dump onto the solids then run that when done. Thoughts?
With an OG = 1.030, your "potential" ABV is only 3.87%ABV. And since you only have 4 gallons, the "potential" alcohol is only 3.87% x 4 = 0.155 gallons (at 100%). But that means you'd only collect roughly 1.24 quarts of product at an average of 100 proof (50%ABV). Not much to make cuts from.

I would add some sugar and let it ferment out. If you add enough to get the OG = 1.075, you'd have a potential of 9.67%ABV, which will give you roughly 3.1 quarts at 100 proof (potentially). That would be a little easier to make the cuts.

Watch the acid level with those berries. Raspberries can be acidic and as the ferment progresses, it could attenuate quickly due to the dropping pH. Adjust with pickling lime if it gets below pH = 4.0.

If it were me....I'd add sugar to bring the OG up. YMMV.
ss

p.s. - remember, when you do run the fruit wash/must, much of the estery fruit flavor will be early in the run. So, don't waste the heads...keep them for blending.
I looked into the potential yield the other night & decided to wing it. Since then Ive been thinking on it & 4 pounds of sugar with a little extra water will get the alky up. So if it even turns out like shit for a quick & dirty wine, I can run it. Just waiting on the sugar/water to cool down. I have read that about the heads. I have only been taking enough off the top to take care of the nasty shit. After airing & checking, I decide which jars get kept or feinted.

kiwi Bruce wrote::clap: YOU LUCKY BASTARD! Way to go jog666! :clap:
Oh its getting better......
lime1.jpg
Out of the blue (or green) he brings me 178 limes......... more research.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

3-20-2019
blueberry - 5.jpg
blueberry - 6.1.jpg

Nice looking & smelling cap. Knocked it down & a good stir earlier today.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

jog666 wrote:
Thinking about adding some sugar to it but not sure. One thought was to let it finish, rack it into another bucket with some sugar water to get the volume & gravity up then run that. Or run as is, use the backset to melt the sugar & dump onto the solids then run that when done. Thoughts?
I hope you didn't add the sugar after the fermentation. "One thought was to let it finish" threw me off there. Sugar water won't produce alcohol unless it's fermented.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

6 Row Joe wrote:
jog666 wrote:
I hope you didn't add the sugar after the fermentation. "One thought was to let it finish" threw me off there. Sugar water won't produce alcohol unless it's fermented.

After, no. I know it wont produce without being fermented. I guess I was thinking about a second ferment. It was on the bottom end of a long day when I made the post so there is no telling what I left out of the post. I added 4# of sugar not to long ago so the alky will go up. It has been less than 24 hours since I pitched the yeast & they are still working strong.
6 Row Joe
Rumrunner

Post by 6 Row Joe »

jog666 wrote:
6 Row Joe wrote:
jog666 wrote:

After, no. I know it wont produce without being fermented. I guess I was thinking about a second ferment. It was on the bottom end of a long day when I made the post so there is no telling what I left out of the post. I added 4# of sugar not to long ago so the alky will go up. It has been less than 24 hours since I pitched the yeast & they are still working strong.
Good to hear. Had me wondering there for a min.
I don't drink alcohol, I drink distilled spirits.
Therefore I'm not a alcoholic, I'm spiritual.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Blueberry update - Ive been knocking the cap down twice a day with a good stirring. Damn its tasting good!!

The limes, Ive been searching the interwebs as I get time since the other day. Found a few, really just a few, recipes for a lime wine. Mostly skeeter piss or zesting & flavoring neutral. Some of them had a few other thing added along with nutrients & enzymes. Searched on here also plus lemons & other citrus fruits. The PH is about the only "issue" I see & plan to adjust with pickling lime. Read a few places to zest them, peel them & one or two to just half them, juice & throw them in.

My plan is to zest them (not sure how many yet), juice them all, adjust the PH & check the gravity. Bump that up with sugar & let it work off. Then a slow run since I dont think I will have enough juice, solids & flavor left in the fermenter to restart or use backset for a second run.

Thoughts?

Skeeter piss
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Blueberry update:
10 days of knocking the cap down & stirring turned into a dry as fuck wine. Tasted really good. I let several people try it & they REALLY liked it. I filtered off some for the neighbor that gave me the berries & another neighbor got a quart since she liked it also.
blueberry 7.jpg
Filtering & squeezing the hell out of it was real fun. :roll:
blueberry 8.5.jpg
I think I ended up with 2.5 gallons of just liquid that I ran off. Hot damn it was good! Shame I only pulled off a half gallon after fores. One thing I was scared of was a nutty/grainy bitter taste & smell, something I noticed in someone else's brandy. It finally showed up but wasnt until the tails & not nearly as strong. I used ALL of the backset, 6.5# of sugar & restarted it. Doing pretty much the same as I did to begin with. So far its smelling & tasting great, if not better than the first batch.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

lime2.1.jpg
lime3.2.jpg
I zested 45 limes. What a pain in the ass.
lime4.jpg
lime5.1.jpg
Ended up with over a quart of juice. I really need a juicer for this.
lime6.jpg
Melted 6# sugar & stirred in the zest while the water was still hot. After it cooled a bit & put the juice in. Dumped into a bucket & filled to 4.25g. DADY, energizer & nutrient was added. The juice had a PH of 3 (if the strips were right). Added a few dashes of pickling lime to up the PH.
lime7.jpg
It had a really nasty looking cap to it but smelt & tasted great. I have to get into it this week to see how it turned out.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Thanks I have two lemon and two lime trees in my yard.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi,
jog66 zested lots of limes.
I zested a lot of lemons for limoncello; they were halves that herself had juiced and there were two of those mesh onion bags nearly full.
I used a potato peeler, a lot quicker than a zester.

Geoff
The Baker
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Sunshineer wrote:Thanks I have two lemon and two lime trees in my yard.
Use them!! Im finally going to do something with a peach tree & some kind of apple tree in my yard other than animal feed this year.
The Baker wrote:Hi,
jog66 zested lots of limes.
I zested a lot of lemons for limoncello; they were halves that herself had juiced and there were two of those mesh onion bags nearly full.
I used a potato peeler, a lot quicker than a zester.

Geoff
It was a pain in the ass, plan & simple. Not something I want to do all the time.

An update on the lime, Finished dry as hell & with a STRONG bitter lime taste. Probably ok to cook with or a shot here & there but not drinkable. I ended up back sweetening it with a very heavy syrup. Mainly to not loose the lime flavor & only have to add enough for taste. A couple bottles went to neighbors I like. I took one to a memorial day party & was a HIT!! Had several people ask how much I wanted for a bottle. Then again yesterday at an after work breakfast, more people asked about it. Finished around a 8.5%-9% after sweetening.

The rest of April I got a bunch of mangos, bananas, papayas, oranges & more. First batch of bananas wasnt fit to drink. Mangos & papayas, were a complete waste of time. I have smelt rotting animals that smelt better. Good news is I ran all three above, no sense in wasting a little booze.

The oranges, I almost waited around to long. Had to pitch several outback since they were growing fuzz & changing colors. The good ones got washed & treated like the limes but with a bit more sugar. It will clear 13% if it finished dry. Depended on how my wife likes it, it will either be kept here & give out to friends.

The second batch of bananas, a whole damn case this time. Netted 24 pounds of "nanner meat". I did some reading into wine & brandy, the enzymes to convert the starches are in the peels. I treated the whole batch like an all grain run. Cooked the meat, added chopped up peels which I could tell a difference before & after them as the temp went up. Since I wasnt sure I added enough peels for a full conversion, I threw in a bit of amylase. After stirring & cooling, that hit a 1.052. I was fine with that but decided to add some brown sugar to add a few extra flavors. That bumped it up to 1.065. Stirring twice a day to get the what seems like a 3" thick cap knocked down & the yeast couldnt be happier.

I think Im missing something over the last two months but cant place it.

The blueberries..... I cracked open a jar of low wines to see how it was doing. Im not to happy about it. I had to look for the blueberry in it & I knew it was there. Im thinking about stopping this project after I run the next two buckets until I can get some kind of thumper set up or what not built. Then I can finish off the blue brandy.
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

persimm.jpg
5 gallon of persimmons.... Ran out of light yesterday. Still have to finish picking around one tree & go after a couple more trees. Hoping to have enough for 5-6g of wine plus some to cook off.
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

Nice!!!! :thumbup:
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

persim 2.jpg
Picked up just shy of 50 pounds this morning. Plus a couple gallons of not quite ripe.
Plc Ryan
Novice

Post by Plc Ryan »

Super interesting thread! Where I live in Northern Ontario we don't have a ton of fruit trees but there are quite a few berries and crab apples and I'm just starting to explore what can be done with them. I have 3.5 lbs pin cherries in the freezer that are going for a small batch of wine and three large ziplocks of crab apples for an apple wine. Fairly new to wine making but if all goes well I'll be picking a lot more next year and looking into larger batches of wine and maybe some brandies!
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

73limes.jpg
Neighbor brought of 73 damn limes. I juiced all of them for a batch of lime wine.
cello.jpg
Before the juicing, I zested 20 to make some lime-cello to go along with the lemon I already had going.