Help just received 500 lbs of bananas.

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Help just received 500 lbs of bananas.

Post by Sunshineer »

Need a really good banana recipe don't want to waste 500 pounds of free nice fresh bananas me thinks lots of sugars here. :D :D :D
Fiddleford
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Help just received 500 lbs of bananas.

Post by Fiddleford »

Look through this

I opened HD google search and typed banana. The first few seem pretty helpful
Rye whisky rye whisky oh dont let me down
Gunna have me a drink then gambol around
Here's some fiddle music
Pt1
Pt2
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

You lucky SOB!!

I have 24 pounds of nanners working off for wine. I put them in a pot after chopping them up. Just covered with water & smashes the best I could. Turned the heat on, stirred & smashed some more. I think it was around 145*f it started to thicken up & I threw in a hand full of rough diced peels. Kept stirring & shut the heat off around 156*f & threw in a pinch of amylase. Once it cleared 152* or so it started to thin out. I put the amylase in "just incase". Without looking at my free fruit thread, I think I got 1.05x SG. I added some brown sugar for some extra flavors & got it into 1.06x area.

If I had 500# (or more than 1 case), I would do the same minus the sugar. I also knocked the cap down twice a day. This morning the cap isnt nearly as thick & the smell changed.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Thanks for your help and input I will let you all know how it works out going to run two 55 galllon drums one with brown sugar one only bananas and let you all know how it all works out start to finish by the numbers.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I’ve done bananas with very good success, tons of banana flavors coming over in the run.
It’s a bit odd as a solo white spirit but great for tiki type cocktails!

You can really think of brown sugar as plain ol’ white sugar and either way I’m not sure it would add anything positive to your spirit. And with 500 pounds of naners it’s not like you need to stretch the yield.

I do think it might be interesting to add in some pure molasses, kinda making a banana rum concoction.

Good luck, I look forward to hearing how this works out for you.

I think I put down a lot of my experience in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58248
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:...I think I put down a lot of my experience in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58248 ...
Adding “this” to that...
wikipedia wrote:Isoamyl acetate is used to confer banana flavor in foods. Banana oil commonly refers to a solution of isoamyl acetate in ethanol that is used as an artificial flavor.

It is also used as a solvent for some varnishes and nitrocellulose lacquers. As a solvent and carrier for materials such as nitrocellulose, it was extensively used in the aircraft industry for stiffening and wind-proofing fabric flying surfaces, where it and its derivatives were generally known as “aircraft dope”. Now that most aircraft are all-metal, such use is now mostly limited to historically accurate reproductions and scale (RC) models.

Because of its intense, pleasant odor and its low toxicity, isoamyl acetate is used to test the effectiveness of respirators or gas masks. It is also used in thermometers.

It is a colorless liquid that is only slightly soluble in water, but very soluble in most organic solvents. Isoamyl acetate has a strong odor which is also described as similar to both banana and pear.

The boiling point of isoamyl acetate is 288*F (142*C).
Certainly, the smell is intoxicating....that’s gotta’ be why it is so inviting.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Again thanks to all for your replys I will keep you posted starting to ripen nicely
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Well sorry I haven't been updating this post but I took your advice did two drums one with bananas only enzymes to convert starches and yeast on the second I did the same thing but added molasses both are still active didn't even bother to try and find my S. G. because everything was so thick but thinning as we go.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I hope it all works out great.

Geoff
The Baker
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

where the hell do you get all this fruit!! lucky man
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I have a friend that owns a wholesale fruit company I get first crack at everything that's to ripe to sell but just right to ferment check out my blueberry thread to.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Sept,Oct....How did things go??? I have a couple of banana trees here at the Hale, but I doubt one would produce even 100 lbs.