wild plums

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PC1
Novice

wild plums

Post by PC1 »

in a couple months the wild plum trees on my property are going to be ready for harvest. they are red, about quarter size, and quite tart and also very sweet. seems like they would be perfect for a run. My biggest concern is that they are very susceptible to some form of wild yeast and do seem to rot quickly.

Does anyone have a wild plum recipe?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: wild plums

Post by NZChris »

Crush plums.
Add yeast.
Ferment.
Double distill with a pot still.
PC1
Novice

Post by PC1 »

well, that would be the simplest way...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have a brandy recipe that is very similar :D
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

This is the best write up I've seen.

https://slivovice.org/
PC1
Novice

Post by PC1 »

Thank you for that NZ Chris, very interesting read.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

If they are the sort I think they are (the sort around here) they will yield about 2% ABV but will have an almost overpoweringly strong flavour. After years of messing with wild plums I'm of the opinion the best results are gained from adding water and some sugar.
This is my method, please note and read through that that ratio of plums to water and sugar are the maximum you would use for the sourest and dryest of fruit and for most prunus varieties you could easily halve that ratio.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
PC1
Novice

Post by PC1 »

Thank You!

Please keep the ideas coming!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i made a batch of slivovitz a few years ago. i went the wild yeast route, took about a month.

the spirit had an amazing flavour and aroma. i was really happy with it and put it into storage, so i could go back once and a while for a little sip, i only had 2 jars.

at about 2 years the flavour and aroma just disappeared, it is like vodka now.

my advise is to drink it when you make it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

I have mine in a stainless keg, don't proof it until I draw some off and I add to it each season so mine is still full flavoured. It gets no air and no sunlight and is at close to 90% ABV so it doesn't really age but it doesn't deteriorate either. I did initially age the first batch on plum wood for longer than was best but cutting it with while redeemed it just dandy, I have not yet felt the need to infuse it will more wood but I guess at some stage I likely will have to to retain this particular expression.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I made some plum brandy yesterday and collected in jars with charred sugar maple and aired over night. Gives a nice color too. Sort of a faux Lincoln county process. Makes a nice drop.