First attempt at a Peach Brandy

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

estkjt1119
Novice

First attempt at a Peach Brandy

Post by estkjt1119 »

This is my first attempt at a brandy. I have done many successful runs of AG recipes, but fruit has recently sparked my interest. After a trip with the kiddos to the local orchard for a fun day, I stumbled across a deal on 50lb of peaches that was too good to pass up. Long story short, I only paid $20 for 50lb. So I felt obligated to make something tasty. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES] My wife enjoys wine more than spirits, but I am right opposite. So....half ended up as peach wine that is currently working right along side my brandy. In preparing for the mashing process, I got to thinking (which at times can be quite dangerous). How is a brandy going to be any different than a good peach wine, other than the fact that I'm taking it a step farther? So I mashed in as if I were making a wine. The peaches were juiced with care, removing all stones and any brown spots. Placing all of it into a nylon strainer bag. I pitched plenty of yeast nutrient to keep them nice and happy. I added the appropriate amount of pectic enzyme to help break the fruit down and reduce any haze (thinking this would help decrease chances of anything being scorched in the pot). Added sodium metabisulfite to kill off any wild yeast. The only steps I omitted was adding the acid blend and tannins. My SG read 1.100. I hydrated my yeast using red star dry active distillers yeast. After about 12 hours of pitching the yeast, it sounded like this thing was boiling. Each day, I gently squeezed the bag and stirred the contents. After 5 days, my SG read 1.040, so I racked it out of my primary fermenter and into a carboy with an air lock attached. After 8 days I am reading 0.990. Now I will continue to let it work and clear off. Possibly racking again to remove it from the lees and finish clearing before distillation. If anyone has any advice or sees something I'm doing wrong, please feel free to give me some pointers. I love learning all I can about this hobby, and hope to continue making good quality spirits.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: First attempt at a Peach Brandy

Post by 8Ball »

Did you read the tried and true? Plenty of pointers there.

8B
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
estkjt1119
Novice

Post by estkjt1119 »

8Ball wrote:Did you read the tried and true? Plenty of pointers there.

8B
I did, I was just sharing my progress. I meant anything not listed there, or something to be watchful for etc.. I have been here for about 5 years now. Have read hundreds of threads here.
Last edited by acfixer69 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertisement
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Read the one about not posting the crapatalk advertisement
estkjt1119
Novice

Post by estkjt1119 »

acfixer69 wrote:Read the one about not posting the crapatalk advertisement
I removed it. My apologies.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

estkjt1119 wrote:Added sodium metabisulfite to kill off any wild yeast.
Because of this, it might be best to put it all into wine. SO2 is difficult to keep out of distilled product, so be sure you have a method that works before you distill it.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

"Each day, I gently squeezed the bag and stirred the contents."

Squeezed the bag? No comprende, senor. Were you fermenting with solids inside a mesh bag?
estkjt1119
Novice

Post by estkjt1119 »

seamusm53 wrote:"Each day, I gently squeezed the bag and stirred the contents."

Squeezed the bag? No comprende, senor. Were you fermenting with solids inside a mesh bag?
Yes I was