Mango Brandy

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Mango Brandy

Post by 8Ball »

Was gifted a big box of ripe mangos. The flesh and skins went into a blender and then dumped into the 10 gallon fermenter, up to the 6G mark. I filled a pot with 1-1/2G of tap water, and to that added a tablespoon of gypsum and a teaspoon of citric acid. Added the water to the fermenter and this brought it up to 7.5G mark. Hydrated 20 grams of EC1118 and pitched it. The ferment temp was around 90F, high I know but you deal with what you have. The starting gravity I figured was around 1.049. Starting pH was 4.8. I stirred the cap back in to the wash gently for the first 3 days, then let it finish. It finished in 6 days at 1.010 and pH 3.7, I figure it was at around 5% abv. I wasn’t able to run it right away when the cap dropped and it picked up the mother infection. When I ran it in my pot, I wound up with almost a gallon of low wines at around 24%. I took careful foreshots during the strips and spirit run. I kept all the heads and collected until my taste buds told me to stop. The tails tasted like crud so I didn’t bother with chasing them. I wound up with 26 ounces at 65% that I will age white. The smell and taste of mango is very nice, hopefully it will get better and better. I’m pretty satisfied with what I have and I learned a lot from my first brandy effort.

8B
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Mango Brandy

Post by jog666 »

My free mangos turned to pure shit from the get go. Not sure if they were over/under ripe since I dont normally eat them but I wont waste my time on the again. Ended up stripping it along with a couple other bad wines.
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

Mangos are in the poison ivy family and you should never use the skins if someone has a allergy to them it could kill them trying to drink it.
csandviche
Novice

Post by csandviche »

Sunshineer wrote:Mangos are in the poison ivy family and you should never use the skins if someone has a allergy to them it could kill them trying to drink it.
Whoa, never knew that... ✍️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Sunshineer wrote:Mangos are in the poison ivy family and you should never use the skins if someone has a allergy to them it could kill them trying to drink it.
I’m highly allergic to poison ivy and have never had an issue with mangos. Been in the hospital twice for exposure to poison ivy!
I love a mangos, so clearly doesn’t affect everyone.

My personal experience with mango brandy, is you need to add sugar. I’m sure someone out there will disagree, but every time I use mangos alone I’ve had issues.

I also add a bit of mango juice just before proofing down.

Cheers and good luck!
Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've done many gins with mango peel in the basket and I'm not aware of anyone having a reaction. The toxin has a boiling point of around 390F, so I doubt it would be a problem unless you kept collecting so far into tails that most of us wouldn't consider including it anyway.
RidgeBack
Novice

Post by RidgeBack »

Back in 2012 I distilled some Mango fruit. Didn't keep any notes..but I still have a little left in a wine bottle. Think I got about 1/2 a normal wine bottle full of 42%. Don't know it I'd call it Brandy or Hooch. LOL

Working w/mangos was a lot of work, peeling and then scraping the fruit off the seeds. VERY juciy, big mess, haven't tried it again.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I wound up aging my mango brandy on toasted and lightly charred peach wood. 3 months in and the mango smell and taste is definitely there, but still has a long way to go to smooth out the bite due to all the heads in it. It is heading in the right direction so I’m okay with that.

🎱
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”