Fruit infusion and abv%

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aarons8181
Novice

Fruit infusion and abv%

Post by aarons8181 »

If make a spirit and then infuse ex: blueberrys will the infusion reduce the abv% same as if where diluting with water?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Fruit infusion and abv%

Post by NZChris »

It will be diluted by the amount of water present in the fruit.
aarons8181
Novice

Post by aarons8181 »

Thanks,so the sugar in the fruit will have no change on the abv%?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I hadn't thought of that :D

How accurate do you want? I calculate using averages for the fruit that I get off the net. Near enough is good enough in my shed.
aarons8181
Novice

Post by aarons8181 »

Sounds good to me am like you not looking for perfect just ex: if have 80 proof after fruit infusion would not want to lose say more 5 or 10 proof off it.hope understand what I mean thanks so much for your time and help..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't bothered since my parents passed on because now none of us drink liqueurs, but I when I did, I used to calculate how much sugar and water was in the fruit, then calculate how much alcohol and sugar I had to use to arrive at %s they liked in the final product. They got the liqueur and we ate the fruit on ice cream.
aarons8181
Novice

Post by aarons8181 »

Awesome and sorry for your loss.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

aarons8181 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:27 pm Thanks,so the sugar in the fruit will have no change on the abv%?
Not in the way you might think. You aren't fermenting so the sugar won't become more alcohol. It's just more volume same as water.

Obviously you can't use a proof and traille hydrometer to measure infusions so you have to use math. Just measure the ABV/proof of the alcohol you use for the infusion and your volume of alcohol used.

So for example if you were making a limoncello and used 1000 Ml of 150 proof (75 ABV) spirit, marinated your lemon skins, added a couple of cups of simple sugar syrup (heated water and sugar mixed) then after tasting added a bit of lemon juice and some distilled water to tone the alcohol content down as well as boost the lemon flavor you would have no idea what your proof is anymore, BUT...

You know you started with 1000 ML of 150 proof alcohol and you know what your final concoction volume is. So lets assume you end up with 2500 ML of finished product. 1000 ML of 2500 ML was 150 proof while 1500 ML of the 2500 ML had zero proof. So:
1000*150/2500=60 Proof (30%).

That will always put you in the ballpark assuming your jars are airtight and the angels don't get a share. :) It obviously assumes your fruit isn't sucking up your alcohol either which isn't a problem with citrus zest. If you soak whole apples or other fruits that absorb your alcohol (stop doing that) or just note how much you have left after removing the fruit and adjust your starting alcohol volume.

Softer fruits like cherry, pears, stawberry, apple, etc can be recycled once you remove the fruits from the infusion using a table spoon or so of table sugar to create a fruit syrup. See any of the "panty dropper" recipes for learning how to do that. You won't loose any alcohol that way (in the end) to absorption and will get a great syrup in the process to use as well for flavoring assuming you would add sugar to the recipe anyway.

Carlo
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.
cayars
Distiller

Post by cayars »

NZChris wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:05 pm I haven't bothered since my parents passed on because now none of us drink liqueurs
Sorry for your loss. Is this recent or a while ago?

I lost my mom to cancer about 10 years ago but my dad is still kicking but has two cancers himself (for 10+ years). He's been getting the bug himself and has been making some exotic type wines like Mango (very tasty). He's never really been a drinker but likes to be creative and play with stuff. My son, daughter and I help him with "volume management" but I see some brandies on the near horizon. :)
Programmer specializing in process control for ExxonMobil (ethanol refinery control), WT, Omron, Bosch, Honeywell & Boeing.
More than a decade working for NASA & FAA Tech with computer code used on Space Shuttles and some airline flight recorders.