Peach Brandy ?s

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sailman
Swill Maker

Peach Brandy ?s

Post by Sailman »

I'm just getting started on my journey into distillation. My birdwatchers just came out of the fermenter (cleaning run) and I want to try a easy peach to get my feet wet. I looked around the form but I can't find a whole lot about this recipe has anybody used it if so what were your thoughts?
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=26560
I would like to start out with a gravity somewhere between 1070 to 1090. I will be doing around a 10-gallon Mash so I would have to double his recipe. I maybe even throw in an extra can of peaches and Up the sugar a bit and who knows maybe a box or two of raisins.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach Brandy ?s

Post by 8Ball »

🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Good link, Tater is our house expert on making drinks from peaches.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

8Ball wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:51 am viewtopic.php?f=96&t=47361

🎱
Yes I read that post and eventually I would like to try that as well. Right now I'm looking for something where I don't have to cut up all of the peaches eventually I will get there.
tombombadil
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tombombadil »

If you're looking for something easy to get your feet wet, rum is a good place to start. You can get blackstrap molasses or baking molasses from restaurant supply stores or amazon pretty easily and all you have to do is add water, nutrients and yeast. That was my first keeper run(s), so it's only 3 months old and keeps getting better.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I've been doing a little searching and a lot of reading about making Peach Brandy. Peaches won't come off in my neck of the woods for another month or two and I don't want to wait that long. I know there is mixed feelings about making Peach Brandy with canned peaches with the addition of sugar but that's all I've got to work with at the moment.

I was thinking about a 10 to 11 gallon must containing 5 large cans of sliced peaches mashed. To this I was going to add 3 lb of white sugar, 2 to 3 lb of brown sugar, the juice of a couple lemons and enough water to make up the rest of the volume. Dady yeast will be used because that what i have. How does this sound ? Would you do anything different?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

If the peaches are canned in syrup you won't need sugar!

Geoff
The Baker
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I might use the same fermenter, but that's about all.

If you stole the ingredients out of the jailhouse kitchen, it's a fantastic recipe and I say go for it, but if you want fantastic peach flavored brandy, you might be a wee bit disappointed.

Don't put lemon juice, or calcium carbonate, in a ferment without first checking the pH.
Are you sure you want molasses flavor in peach?
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

NZChris wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:07 pm I might use the same fermenter, but that's about all.

If you stole the ingredients out of the jailhouse kitchen, it's a fantastic recipe and I say go for it, but if you want fantastic peach flavored brandy, you might be a wee bit disappointed.

Don't put lemon juice, or calcium carbonate, in a ferment without first checking the pH.
Are you sure you want molasses flavor in peach?
My wife said the same thing about the molasses in the brown sugar but I thought it would be different. I saw it used in another peach recipe I guess I'll just leave it out. when I'm doing the proofing part our plan is to add some of the syrup from the canned peaches back into the spirit to give it a little flavor and sweetness.. I had even thought about adding some sliced peaches back to the finished product depending on the flavor that I get. If this whole run goes south on me it's okay. Mistakes are just opportunities to learn.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

This is what I did, may have messed it up but that's how you learn by your mistakes.

I did 6 cans of peaches when we run through the blender come out to four and a half gallons of peach slurry.
6 1/2 gallons of water and 9 pounds of sugar. It was real hard getting a starting gravity because of all the solids in the liquid but the best I could come up with is a 1.070. I'll be pitching the yeast late tonight or either sometime in the morning depending on the temperature.
IMG_20200529_152725.jpg
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

The cap finally fell yesterday and I got a gravity reading of .990. One thing I didn't realize what's how hard it was going to be to strain the pulp from the juice the first five gallons when easy peasy. The last half well let's just say it's got me rethinking making anything with fruit. I know the way I'm straining it isn't the best because I'm using just a brew bag not sure if I want to invest the money and all the proper equipment just to do a few fruit batches a year.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

I got around to doing the run yesterday and I was surprised that it took most of the day but everything come out looking pretty good. This is what I wound up with in the pictures you can see the last two jars 12 and 13 are cloudy, I was definitely into the tales. All of the liquid was collected in 12 oz increments except for the four shots that was 300 ml.
IMG_20200614_115425.jpg
IMG_20200614_115459.jpg
IMG_20200614_115513.jpg
IMG_20200614_115533.jpg
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I have 12 gallons of apricots and 16 gallons of peach to run this weekend.

Any suggestions?

10 gallon pot on propane....
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Make good cuts and let it air out a least 24 hr.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Look up the existing peach threads for distilling advice.

Be wary of letting the flavors escape out the door from excessive airing.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

I dont plan to let jars air out more than overnight.
I plan to fill 12 ounce jars to 10 ounces until roughly 30% being collected. I've read that lots of flavor hides at the end of the run.

This is my first time so I am reading MANY MANY posts and I see there is no one way to do it.

I know I will be buttering my copper pot and throwing in some copper pipe pieces to help prevent boiling or scorching (per tater).
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Some of the peach flavor is in the early take as well, so don't be too hasty chucking early jars out. The combined heads and tails from my first peach run tasted more like peach than my carefully selected heart cut. :roll:
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

This sounds like I need to take one big glass jug and let it all run in there from the beginning until 30%.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Slivovitz wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:06 am This sounds like I need to take one big glass jug and let it all run in there from the beginning until 30%.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but whatever it is, it sounds like a very bad idea.