Absent minded professor

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

twoartistic
Novice

Absent minded professor

Post by twoartistic » Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:15 am

I've come by the nickname, "the absent minded professor," over my career. This time I've carried this trait over to the brew craft portion of my life.

I have a simple apple wine/cider recipe that I use. I've created it enough times that I just make it, and don't do a hydrometer test. It's bottled apple juice, apple juice concentrate, raw sugar and champagne yeast. I like to heat up the apple juice concentrate to melt the sugar before I pour it into the apple juice. I use 4 lb of sugar in a 5-gallon batch.

I had purchased several 4 pound bags of raw sugar. Everything was going to plan, but I noticed that the bag of sugar was sitting on the counter, not remembering it was an extra bag of sugar. Completely forgetting that I had already added sugar I added this extra 4 pounds :oops: and put it in my closet to ferment. Fermentation was vigorous and faster than expected.

Once fermentation slowed down, I put the whole thing in the fridge to cold shock it, and stop fermentation. After a week or so to clear as much as it's going to, I went ahead and bottled it. I pulled a sample out of the partially filled last bottle, and it is way too sweet.

Now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do with it. What would you do with it?

NZChris
Master Distiller

Re: Absent minded professor

Post by NZChris » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:20 am

I would add more ingredients to get the ratios back to the original and re-ferment it.

pope
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Absent minded professor

Post by pope » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:40 am

+1 to Chris's advice.
"A little learning is a dang'rous thing; Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, And drinking largely sobers us again." - Alexander Pope