Nectarine spirit

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ryno1234
Novice

Nectarine spirit

Post by ryno1234 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19 am

Just purchased a house and turns out I have a nectarine tree. They were ripe and there was no way we'd be able to eat them all, so I sliced them in half, threw away the pit and tossed the fruit in gallon freezer bags until I can figure out how to best turn these into something drinkable.

So, is there a good recipe that can be followed for nectarines? I imagine it would be similar to peaches.

I have roughly 10 lbs of nectarines and from what I understand they are roughly 8% sugar (I Googled nectarine nutrition information). Given this, that means I have less than 1lbs of sugar. How much sugar can be added to this before I've hidden the nectarine's flavor and qualities too much?

This also brings up a good question that I'm not familiar with: How much of the flavor is from the actual sugars of the source fermenting and how much is from the favor of the source in general (not due to fermentation) that comes over as liquid content?

My plan is to puree everything (skins included), throw it in a pot and bring it up to 160 degrees for 10 minutes or so, add cold water, (should I strain it here?), pitch extra sugar and bakers yeast.

Any other tips? Is this an OK plan?

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Re: Nectarine spirit

Post by Saltbush Bill » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:50 am

There are other fruit recipes around that should be able to be adapted to Nectarines.
Taters peach recipe speings to mind.

The Baker
Master Distiller

Post by The Baker » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:26 pm

I didn't puree the peaches, I smashed them (whole) with the end of a big 4 x 4, in the fermenter.
No problems.
Added a very little water to make it manageable, and a tad of sugar to make it nearly as sweet as a sugar wash.
Which is really not sweet.
Then strained the stones out in a VERY coarse sieve, forced the flesh through.
Smashed the stones when dry and threw the (crushed) kernels in the wash or saved them for liqueur.

Geoff
The Baker

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:31 pm

I used very ripe nectarines, I got a bit of a production line happening with myself. I stacked all the trays of nectarines up in front of me and put a 220 L fermenter beside me. Just went through ripping them in half to remove the seed and threw the flesh in the fermenter.

You can get away with using next to no water because of all the juice. Think I still added about 10 or 15 L of water.

I added pectinase And blitzed it every day for about a week with a power drill and mixer and electric hand help food processor.

During that time they started bubbling away for from the wild yeast. I still added a good champagne yeast.

About a month later i potstilled it... happy days!

The nectarine taste didn’t come across as bold as some other brandies I have done such as pear or peaches.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....

NZChris
Master Distiller

Post by NZChris » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:37 pm

Search the peach threads for advice. I suspect peach type flavor mainly exits the still in early and late take, so it's easy to toss out some of the important flavors if using stripping and spirit run advice from other distilled products.

If I do peach again, to try to intensify the flavor, I will make up a prospective heart cut sample with a couple of the most flavorless middle jars left out before I make my final choice of blend for the heart cut.

The most flavorless middle jars should make very nice gin base spirit.

Copperhead road
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copperhead road » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 am

ryno1234 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19 am
pitch extra sugar and bakers yeast.

I would not be using bakers yeast on a fruit fermentation.
Never mistake kindness for weakness....

Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:56 am

I made a blueberry nectarine brandy about five months ago. I boiled the necturines and blueberries together to kill off any mold that I didn’t catch.
Used EC 1118.
Ran dry in five to six days, I knocked the cap down every night just to stop bacteria from growing. Left this on the lees for three weeks for extra ester development.
Late heads had some great aromas and genuinely nice blueberry on the palate. Early to mid-tails held the nectarine flavors. Aging white, after a month and the fruity notes started to disappear. Three-month sample seemed to bring back the flavors. Maybe my taste buds were shit on the month tasting.
Still quite a bit of heat at this point. My basement had the aroma of fruit roll ups as this fermented!

Best of luck with your batch!

Cheers,
Irish
IMG_3335.jpg
Fruit getting cooked
IMG_3340.jpg
Ferment on day three.
Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker. - Ogden Nash
"if at first you don't succeed, try try try again"

The Baker
Master Distiller

Post by The Baker » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:33 am

Copperhead road wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:57 am
ryno1234 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:19 am
pitch extra sugar and bakers yeast.

I would not be using bakers yeast on a fruit fermentation.
I have let the natural yeast on the skins of the fruit ferment it.

Geoff
The Baker

ryno1234
Novice

Post by ryno1234 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:48 am

The Baker wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:33 am
I have let the natural yeast on the skins of the fruit ferment it.

Geoff
Interesting. I like the idea. Do you have any good recommended reading for this? Maybe a tried-and-true example? I will search the site, but if you have something you recommend, I'd love to read up on it.

Karooboy
Novice

Post by Karooboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:52 pm

Need some assistance. I have 10 litres of fresh nectarine fresh juice I added 15 L of boiled water and I dissolve 4 kg of sugar into it until my gravity reading came to 1.060, then pitched 50 g yeast distiller Max high heat tolerance I waited for the Wash to drop to 30 degrees Celsius and then added my yeast and 10g nutrients insured it was aerated correctly close it up and put the airlock on it is now about 8 hours later and there is not one bubble yet coming through I checked the temperature which is 31 and the pH is in the region of 4.5 if the pH is too low what can I use to bring it up I heard of baking soda being you but not sure how much of it I guess I do not have the other ingredients for the pH readily available right now
Last edited by Karooboy on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NZChris
Master Distiller

Post by NZChris » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Are you waiting for a bubble through an airlock?

Karooboy
Novice

Post by Karooboy » Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:09 pm

Well it's a grommet on the lid with pipe into glass jar of water. I also make sure that the lid is closed greatly and that the grommet is inserted correctly so there is no leaks

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:15 am

Your 100% sure there are no leaks?

Karooboy
Novice

Post by Karooboy » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:25 am

Ill check again, the only thing I did different was that the yeast was rehydrating for a couple of hours in the jar as I needed to go out and when I came back the temp was correct on tje wash and then I pitched the yeast could it be that for some reason it was rehydrating for too long in the HR open on the counter