"Calvados" recipe idea

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: "Calvados" recipe idea

Post by Expat »

Corsaire wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:25 pm I strongly disagree.
Those rules were made because lots of unscrupulous sellers made an inferior product and placed a well known name for quality on it.
How would you feel if you bought an iPhone at a premium price but discovered it was a cheap pos? Or your 12yo scotch turns out to be neutral spirit out of a South American still with a bunch of flavorings and colorings added?

Didn't the same thing happen with bourbon? We can make the exact same thing here yet aren't allowed to call it bourbon.

It's more about protecting cultural heritage. They don't forbid anyone from making apple brandy in the same way, just don't allow it to use their name.
They're less of an ass than some copyright holders.
It also protects the local farmers, since producers can't snap up bulk juice from who knows where.

And it's not like the US doesn't have its protectionistic sides. I'm all for that as well.
You've nothing to prove, you make some damn fine wines. Just come up with your own names.
In Europe we have Cava, Vinho verde, Prosecco and a few others that can give Champagne a run for its money.

And best of all, you're still free to call the product you make calvados if it's for your enjoyment, just don't sell it. The op can even call this apple skin ginlike concoction Calvados for all I care. As long as he doesn't try to sell it as such.

Getting off my soapbox now.
Just as response, but not to take the thread too far off topic; I disagree. As you yourself have identified, it has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with regional protectionism, which is as I said BS; frank-ly (ha ha) the french would have declared wine is only for france if they could have got away with it. Yes, the bourbon rules count the same, one side of a line Yes, the other No; BS, doesn't do anything to improve the product, only enrich a few. Bottom line, the idea that culture can be copyright is silly; cultures mingle, traditions emigrate.

lol, btw you seem to have incorrectly identified me as american; this would be similar to me identifying you as french.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Re: "Calvados" recipe idea

Post by Corsaire »

Haha yep sorry, for some reason I thought you were south of that border.

I get your stance on it. Just pisses me off how much counterfeit whisky and such gets trafficked here. So the good reputation of some names still gets used to sell crap to people.

I'm with you on that it's not a denomination of quality. I've had pretty bad Calvados recently. But at least I know who made it and where ;-)

I'll get my panties untwisted now.
And I laughed way too hard at the take on the French. You're right, they have an aoc for damn near everything.