Apple/pear/grape ferment

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Apple/pear/grape ferment

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Hi all
Last week I crushed about 250lbs of grapes, red dornfelder, but made it as a rose so the pomace is not fermented yet. I put in fridge on Thursday.
Today I crushed 85 lb of apples from our tree, and 15 lb of pears from one of our trees.
I pressed it and collected the juice, and was left with several pounds of pulp.
I decided to mix that with the grape pomace from the fridge, so I did that and added 5 gallons of water. Tomorrow I will add sugar and yeast.

Anyone here ever distill anything from a similar Mash bill? Wondering if what comes out is likely to be any good, or just end up in my hand sanitizer jar.

Also is there a name for a mixed fruit distilled beverage like this? it's not grappa and not brandy.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
CikCikCikPogodi
Novice

Re: Apple/pear/grape ferment

Post by CikCikCikPogodi »

You are doing grapes a wrong way. It can be done cheaper. You just need leftovers from wine production. That's how winery's and we at home make it here. Probably winery's in your area don't use leftovers for grape moonshine (Loza/Lozovača). In Italy it's called Grappe.
CikCikCikPogodi
Novice

Over the weekend we handpicked around 100 kg of pears and grinded them. Yesterday after a storm, picked 100 kg. Right now we have probably over 700 kg of pears. If more of them falls there is not going to be any place left to ferment them, so probably going to make some juice or jam out of the rest, because two barrels are going to be reserved for apples.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

CikCikCikPogodi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:17 am You are doing grapes a wrong way. It can be done cheaper. You just need leftovers from wine production. That's how winery's and we at home make it here. Probably winery's in your area don't use leftovers for grape moonshine (Loza/Lozovača). In Italy it's called Grappe.
The grapes I got for free from a relative who is a commercial grower, and the apples and pears came from my tree, so I don't think I can get any cheaper than free. :)
I made some grappa a couple weeks ago, from The leftovers of my own grapes, also for free.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
CikCikCikPogodi
Novice

GreenEnvy22 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:31 am
CikCikCikPogodi wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:17 am You are doing grapes a wrong way. It can be done cheaper. You just need leftovers from wine production. That's how winery's and we at home make it here. Probably winery's in your area don't use leftovers for grape moonshine (Loza/Lozovača). In Italy it's called Grappe.
The grapes I got for free from a relative who is a commercial grower, and the apples and pears came from my tree, so I don't think I can get any cheaper than free. :)
I made some grappa a couple weeks ago, from The leftovers of my own grapes, also for free.
If you make grape moonshine, you can make herbal brandy from it by adding specific herbs and leaving it for 20 days, it's called Travarica translated basically in eng. grass brandy.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

There is nothing wrong with what you did, I would avoid adding sugar but if it is a small amount (therefore little product) do it, otherwise better without. I don't think you will get a bad product. I make small quantities of grappa (from marc) and various fruit distillates but I have never tried that combination, but I have successfully mixed fruit (especially when you don't have large quantities). Make sure fermentation is complete. A greeting!