Maceration!

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JayDim
Novice

Maceration!

Post by JayDim »

Hi all,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you all for welcoming me to Home Distiller. This site is a dream for novice distillers like myself, and it's refreshing to know that so many experienced and knowledgable distillers are willing to share their thoughts and ideas!

That being said, I have a question about maceration, in particular, macerating fruits such as grapefruits, oranges, lemons and finger limes.

What is the best way to go about doing so?

Am I better off vapour infusing the skins of a grapefruit for example? Or would I simply produce a more intense flavour by macerating them?

Will I extract more flavour cutting up and macerating/vapour infusing a whole fruit? Or should I just stick to the skin without the pith?

What are your experiences/suggestions!

Once again thank you for the advice, I'm loving the amount of content on these forums! It's very helpful.

Regards,

James
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Re: Maceration!

Post by SassyFrass »

You should check out many of the recipes in tried and true. Panty droppers and limoncello are the first 2 that come to mind.
I would be very very careful with the pith... it can be bitter.
And too many orange peels for too long isnt to my taste, but it may be to yours. It was just a little (a lot) too cloying and perfumey for me.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
WithOrWithoutU2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WithOrWithoutU2 »

"What is best" is really subjective. It depends on what type of a product you are after and personal preference.

Limoncello is a very popular macerated product. Lot's of articles here on how to and process.

Geist is German product that often uses citrus fruits in the vapor path. Here is a link that I think you may find helpful. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=60563

I might suggest you pick a fruit and try both processes and see which you prefer.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It depends on what you want to do with the fruit (liqueur, flavored distillate, etc.) and the type of fruit. For example, citrus fruits have their own fragrant essential oil in the peel so you could only use that part macerated in alcohol. There is a video of mine here on the limoncello forum. Which drink would you like to get?
JayDim
Novice

Post by JayDim »

Thank you all for the helpful advice!

Appreciate it.

Jay
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dancing4dan »

Maceration! :oops:

Make you go blind! :wink:
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Lots of ways to successfully skin this cat.

Anything that exposes a lot of pith should be avoided.

I have:
Cut fruit in half and stacked them, cut side up, in a gin basket.
Put zest only in the gin basket.
Put zest only in the boiler.
Suspended whole fruit over high proof liquor for a week.
Done a limoncello type maceration, steeping for weeks.
Done a limoncello type maceration and nuking it once. https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38991
They all worked and I don't have an opinion on which is the best method.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Ready for a lafff...

I'm always looking for the easiest, fastest way to do...about anything.

for citrus fruit, your trying to keep the pith out and get all the oil out of the skin.
Also, I hate to waste the fruit just for the ZEST!

Wash the fruit well, and put the whole lemon, lime, grapefruit in a vessel and cover with 60% alcohol! Watch it macerate for a few days. Lemon cello takes about three to four days. NO PITH EXPOSURE. Dilute and done.

Hardest part is a proper vessel.
Lemons r.jpg
I think it takes less fruit, takes no more or less alcohol than you are going to make anyway, no cutting and the fruit is not ruined! The fruit will dry out faster than usual, but is good for days.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

But that’s way too easy lol!

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred