Lemoncello, first attempt

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: In the garage, either stilling or working on a dragster

Lemoncello, first attempt

Post by goinbroke2 »

So I was on YouTube watching “still it” (great channel by the way) and saw that he made lemoncello and it looked really easy. (And I love likker and lemons)

So, I got a bag of lemons and thought I’d give it a shot. Came on here and hit the search function.. holy poo, been reading for an hour!

Anyway, this is what I got so far.
Zested 7 lemons (seems the ration is 1 per 100ml)
Put them in a quart jar and added 42% neutral to just cover them. Put the jar in warm water after shaking the shit out of it.

Of course, The pics;
0FF94FEC-4264-49B1-8BC4-7C871715918E.jpeg
2A90C199-8E68-4B81-9727-8E60D6E272C1.jpeg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lemoncello, first attempt

Post by goinbroke2 »

Not sure if you can see, but, after sitting in hot water for an hour the likker looks like squeezed lemon juice.
8B9C5464-75AB-4094-BEAE-BEEF82A8C463.jpeg
DA6E6432-CBCC-4FAD-A3F1-3854E04245A0.jpeg
Numerous 57L kegs, some propane, one 220v electric with stilldragon controller. Keggle for all-Grain, two pot still tops for whisky, a 3" reflux with deflag for vodka. Coming up, a 4" perf plate column. Life is short, make whisky and drag race!
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

The fog is louching because the alcohol % isn't sufficient to keep the lemon oils in solution.

Given the lemon ratio you're using, its going to be a concentrate; Why not start with azeo so you have room to proof later.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I just topped above the level of lemon. When a month has gone by I’ll strain it into a bigger pot, add the simple syrup and proof it to 35% or so. Then I’ll bottle it.
This is just the “soak” stage.

Normally people use 95% and then it louches when they proof it down. I’m just starting with 42% and fully expect the louching.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: I should of asked, what would Azeo be?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

goinbroke2 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm I just topped above the level of lemon. When a month has gone by I’ll strain it into a bigger pot, add the simple syrup and proof it to 35% or so. Then I’ll bottle it.
This is just the “soak” stage.

Normally people use 95% and then it louches when they proof it down. I’m just starting with 42% and fully expect the louching.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: I should of asked, what would Azeo be?
Azeotrope 95.6% was my meaning. I've done various fruit a lot in this style, my skins were crispy, white and depleted in less than a week.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Expat wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:07 pm my skins were crispy, white and depleted in less than a week.
Thats the way I do it now, all flavour and colour extracted from the skins in 4-5 days.
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

I’ve already diluted about 14gal and don’t have anything higher. I normally age on oak at 72-74% because that’s as high as I get with my pot still.

I’m ok letting it sit longer though. No rush.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Might like to buy one of these, its a thing called a corn plane, used for removing dead skin, callouses, and corns from peoples feet. Available in most chemist shops for around $12.00.....they usually come with a box of very sharp spare blades , if not you can buy the blades separately. Using one of these is the best way Ive found to get the skin off of a lemon without any of the white pith. My notes say the best I made was using Eureka Lemons ..don't know if you can get that variety in Merica.
ci20110.jpg
ci20110.jpg (6.42 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

There is a video of a very good forum member on limoncello ..... already .... it's me ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 05&t=80196
goinbroke2
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by goinbroke2 »

Thanks for the link demy, great video!

So, it’s been 6 days and if been heating the bottle in a pot of warm/hot water at least once a day and shaking the living sheit out of it.
Figured today was enough time because I’m very impatient, lol.
I used some hot water and stevia instead of sugar(wife hates sugar because it’s unhealthy)
And made the simple syrup.
After straining the liquid with a colander (not a muslin bag or filter of any sort) I added the juice of one hand squeezed lemon then filled a quart jar.
Looking at the peels, they weren’t white or whatever and being cheep I thought “wonder if I can extract any more”?

So, refilled the jar with more neutral.
3912DA41-37B8-4E7B-90BD-49F65E2D3757.jpeg
783FB125-DEE1-4729-823A-9F06262FD429.jpeg
69E3A294-4FA1-4BD1-902A-8E66309F7B49.jpeg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

goinbroke2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:56 am Thanks for the link demy, great video!

So, it’s been 6 days and if been heating the bottle in a pot of warm/hot water at least once a day and shaking the living sheit out of it.
Figured today was enough time because I’m very impatient, lol.
I used some hot water and stevia instead of sugar(wife hates sugar because it’s unhealthy)
And made the simple syrup.
After straining the liquid with a colander (not a muslin bag or filter of any sort) I added the juice of one hand squeezed lemon then filled a quart jar.
Looking at the peels, they weren’t white or whatever and being cheep I thought “wonder if I can extract any more”?

So, refilled the jar with more neutral.

3912DA41-37B8-4E7B-90BD-49F65E2D3757.jpeg783FB125-DEE1-4729-823A-9F06262FD429.jpeg69E3A294-4FA1-4BD1-902A-8E66309F7B49.jpeg
Personally I would not use lemon juice. It is not necessary to heat the container, keep the process explained in the video and ensure success. To extract the maximum aroma that are sufficient 5 days. Also here in Italy I find recipes that make 40 days macerations but don't make sense, I tried myself and the result is just a "astringent limoncello". Moreover, there is a scholar dealing with food science that confirmed it in an article.
P.S. I only read now that you used 42% alcohol ... it is not optimal for extraction, next time use 90% +
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Agree with demi......i would not have added the juice.
Pretty sure hes right about the second use of the skins to.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The worst Limoncello I ever made was after watching a TV Chef making a recipe with juice in it. I had to drink the whole batch myself so as not to ruin my reputation of being of a distiller of quality products.

My quicky method is to do one nuke with the peel in 70-80% double pot stilled neutral or grape spirit, let it cool, then sugar, proof and bottle. Nobody has ever noticed a difference between one nuke and steeped for weeks.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38991
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:23 pm The worst Limoncello I ever made was after watching a TV Chef making a recipe with juice in it. I had to drink the whole batch myself so as not to ruin my reputation of being of a distiller of quality products.

My quicky method is to do one nuke with the peel in 70-80% double pot stilled neutral or grape spirit, let it cool, then sugar, proof and bottle. Nobody has ever noticed a difference between one nuke and steeped for weeks.
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38991
Even if it is an alternative method there is really no need for all this .... alcohol at 95 abv, 3-5 days and everything you need, the fundamental thing on which many do not pay attention is the quality of lemons: lemons Collected for a long time compared to freshly picked lemons will make a huge difference. But I realize that this is not always possible for which it must be adapted. you do well not to add the juice ... I don't know who invented it this thing but it's a bad idea ... here in Italy it is a quite typical liqueur but there are also crap (of very popular brands) that are obviously Made with chemical essences, when you do it at home as you need to feel the difference right away.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I piss under the lemon tree beside my distillery, so freshness has never been an issue.

The TV chef reckoned her juice method was Italian. I doubted that, but tried a small batch to see how it turned out. It was awful.

I don't think I've ever used 95%. Many have been made on pot stilled grape spirit and sugar washes from 65% to 80% and they all made good product.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Your wife says sugar is unhealthy??? But she's ok with ethanol? Shaking my head.
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

Tummydoc wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:27 pm Your wife says sugar is unhealthy??? But she's ok with ethanol? Shaking my head.
By the way, this amused the most.

But I have a question for goinbroke2: is the liquor delicious? How does it correspond to what we can buy in the store?
HiroP
Novice

Post by HiroP »

I have only tried lemoncello once - lemon peels and 80 % neutral. After straining, proofing to about 47% (just before louching) and a hint of sweetening the result was disappointing at first. Then about 6 months later someone brought a store bought bottle and I did a taste test with some friends, mine vs commercial. After 6 months my aged -disappointing (harsh, a bit bitter, not lemon dominant) product had become fantastic - everyone agreed mine was much better than the store bought.

The waiting is the hardest part.
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

f10ada7b1b8e96ac318cc0955d0462.jpg
Bought a Zester for this project as well as general zest dehydration.

Used 3 lemon zests in 250ml neutral at 96%. 5 days maceration and added 375ml water and sugar
caca090ff1d79babc8f3e6b4ced4b6.jpg
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

The aging time of the alcoholic beverage only improves the taste. But this applies to high-quality drinks made in compliance with technology.
Windy City
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Windy City »

Hey richard1
That zester looks badass :thumbup:
Where did you get it and how much was that?
In your pic that lemon is pretty uniformly round, how well does it work with a standard gnarly oblong lemon?
The liver is evil and must be punished
Cranky"s spoon feeding for new and novice distillers
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I also think that zester is badass. This thread reminds me I haven’t made lemoncello in a few years and with spring upon us it is time to make some summer drinks. Goinbroke2 Iam surprised as long as you have been around you never made lemoncello. My wife loves it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Did a google search for that zester and even did an image search with no luck. Found a commercial one for just under $2000.00, do you have a brand that I can search for that zester. Also would it work on peeling apples?
richard1
Novice

Post by richard1 »

All shapes and sizes. Google pelamatic. About $174. Works great..... but not for industrial use.... home use.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Found this on amazon, probably not as good but a lot cheaper at $37.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

If you add about 20% raspberry liquer you end up with pink limoncello which is awesome.
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

How about this

But I just suspend my lemons over the 90ish abv for a couple months and get a great Lemomcello

Stay safe
OVZ