Cut apples in gin basket

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mymarmot
Novice

Cut apples in gin basket

Post by Mymarmot »

Has anyone added cut apples or apple peels to their gin basket while making apple brandy?
Not macerated, not infusions with neutral- just has anyone personally used their gin basket in the column to get more apple essence?
If you’ve personally done this, did it impart more apple flavor or make it bitter?
Thanks
Butch27
Swill Maker

Re: Cut apples in gin basket

Post by Butch27 »

Why not try it and report back? What do you really have to lose?
Mymarmot
Novice

Post by Mymarmot »

Well I reckon that’s why this site exists. If someone has done it then I can save the time. If not, well then I’ll do just that
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

I've used apple peels in both gin and apple brandy in the vapour path.

It added some subtle tannin and flavour. Beware that fresh pieces/peel will brown long before the vapour gets to it. This can be avoided with a quick dip into a dilute solution of water and ascorbic acid.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I have a gin basket, but not 'in the column', because that doesn't allow much volume for the botanicals and could mean high vapor speed through the basket.

Whatever I put in the basket flavors the final spirit. I haven't done apple on apple because I get enough apple already, so try a side by side yourself to find out if it makes a significant difference. I doubt it will unless you have been adding sugar to your wash.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

I do something like this, and it has made a noticeable difference in my blueberry and peach brandy. I don’t have a gin basket set up yet. I place a large stainless mesh container in the still, half in low wines and the other half sticking out in the vapor path. I have tried fresh fruit, dehydrated, and freeze dried. Fresh seems to give off the most noticeable improvement, freeze dried second and dehydrated last. This is my protocol now and I don’t see it changing anytime soon.
Let us know what you end up with and your procedure.
Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

For a different take on scale i’ve heard of shooting the thumper and waiting to shoot it till when you’re in hearts so it doesn’t get stripped out in the heads.

Cheers,
J
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Another trick is to put some of the hearts through a gin basket packed with the desired botanical to make an essence. A mini still is handy for that trick.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm and waiting to shoot it till when you’re in hearts so it doesn’t get stripped out in the heads.
Makes sense to me to do it that way.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

It depends a lot on the type of apple, for what you want to do you have to have very fragrant apples, and you should insert when you start extracting hearts. I tried the maceration of dried skins (post-distillation) and will give you more aroma.
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

SaltyStaves wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:40 pm I've used apple peels in both gin and apple brandy in the vapour path.

It added some subtle tannin and flavour. Beware that fresh pieces/peel will brown long before the vapour gets to it. This can be avoided with a quick dip into a dilute solution of water and ascorbic acid.
You can dip apple slices in lemon juice. Also a good way to avoid apple oxidation.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

Timothy_W wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:27 am You can dip apple slices in lemon juice. Also a good way to avoid apple oxidation.
The lemon flavour will carry through distillation though. Ascorbic acid won't.
Timothy_W
Novice

Post by Timothy_W »

SaltyStaves wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:37 pm
Timothy_W wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:27 am You can dip apple slices in lemon juice. Also a good way to avoid apple oxidation.
The lemon flavour will carry through distillation though. Ascorbic acid won't.
Depends on personal preference. Someone will like the citrus note. That's why I wrote about lemon juice. Everyone has different tastes, we can experiment with the taste of drinks.
Mymarmot
Novice

Post by Mymarmot »

Good info everyone, thank you!