My fig distillate

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

My fig distillate

Post by Demy »

Every year I distill a small batch of figs, this year is very little but I am satisfied, I drink little alcohol so it's ok.
20210831_122350.jpg
Puree
20210831_123635.jpg
start fermentation
20210831_131133.jpg
finish fermentation
20210911_140112.jpg
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Re: My fig distillate

Post by Rum Agol »

Very interesting Demy, ive never tried Boukha ( too cold here in Scotland for figs to ripen well.) what would you compare it to?
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Rum Agol wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm Very interesting Demy, ive never tried Boukha ( too cold here in Scotland for figs to ripen well.) what would you compare it to?
The white spirit has a specific aroma, perhaps one could compare to a very aromatic rum .... I will not leave it so but I will make a maceration with dried figs (after distillation), I will update the post as soon as possible ... today I did Only a stripping.
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Look forward to reading your update.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Nice Demy! No sugar added I’d imagine. Do you macerate low wines in dried figs before spirit? Interested in what your quantities are and all that.

I love a fig baguette with some tomato, strong hard shaved cheese olive oil & honey drizzle and fresh cracker black pepper! A dram of fig brandy after lunch would be awesome!
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Rum Agol wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:05 pm Look forward to reading your update.
+1 me too.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

That sounds intriguing.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Every year where I live people we know have hundreds of pounds of big that go uneaten. I don't like them myself but I could get a barrel full of free ones and make liquor for free.

What are your secrets to getting it to ferment?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Demy wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:56 pm
Rum Agol wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:44 pm Very interesting Demy, ive never tried Boukha ( too cold here in Scotland for figs to ripen well.) what would you compare it to?
The white spirit has a specific aroma, perhaps one could compare to a very aromatic rum .... I will not leave it so but I will make a maceration with dried figs (after distillation), I will update the post as soon as possible ... today I did Only a stripping.
Hi, Demy.
There is an interesting idea.
I have some apple brandy that doesn't have much apple aroma or taste.
I will try macerating dried apple in some of it.

Thanks.

Geoff
The Baker
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Thank you all, I didn't think there would be interested. The procedure was very simple: collected, washed briefly, chopped in puree, added little water, added yeast bayanus strain (from sparkling wine). No enzyme, no sugar. I always have some problems measuring the OG with this fruit, because it makes the juice a little gelatinous then "brake" the descent of the densimeter in the test tube, in fact my OG was only 1047 but I think it was more.
First I run a stripping with the steam jacket, distilling the whole fruit, then today I made the Spirit run leaving the distillate white, then I added the whole dried figs, they are dried in the sun naturally, you can see the fruit sugar which covers the entire fruit. I did some pictures, I hope I answered everyone .....
Bass wines + added part of the ferment
20210912_093052.jpg
Dried figs, then briefly baked, you notice the caramellization
20210912_190838.jpg
20210912_191054.jpg
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Update
1631647572244.jpg
Rum Agol
Swill Maker

Post by Rum Agol »

Looks good Demy thanks for the update
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

Thanks Demy
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Today I added a couple of additional figs, and then the final touch with a piece of slightly toasted cherry wood.
20210920_191649.jpg
20210920_191706.jpg
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

We have 8 fig trees and have been meaning to get around to this. A refractometer will help with gravity before fermentation.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

bluc wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:20 am We have 8 fig trees and have been meaning to get around to this. A refractometer will help with gravity before fermentation.
I also have a refractometer, I have not checked side by side but maybe even on the refractometer you will have the same problem if the juice is not clarified but you are right the problem maybe it would be less. We should try side by side ... devil, I didn't think about it!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

My problem would be keeping that jug from ending up as yet another “empty statistic” in a long line of empty statistics…
————
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:02 am My problem would be keeping that jug from ending up as yet another “empty statistic” in a long line of empty statistics…
I understand, :lol: :lol: this in particular is a product that really liked to all those who tasted it ...
Prole
Novice

Post by Prole »

I too make an annual fig distillate. I use raw Central American sugar with the figs. I freeze the figs -- several gallon bags worth and then, as they defrost, mush them up. After the second distillation I age it with sherry soaked charred French Oak chips for at least 3 months. Makes a nice holiday treat come X-mas -- and beyond.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Prole wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:14 am I too make an annual fig distillate. I use raw Central American sugar with the figs. I freeze the figs -- several gallon bags worth and then, as they defrost, mush them up. After the second distillation I age it with sherry soaked charred French Oak chips for at least 3 months. Makes a nice holiday treat come X-mas -- and beyond.
I am pleased that others have tried.I replaced the wood with dried figs, makes an inic product and much appreciated by friends!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

B432B196-BD15-470F-BBDB-5E4F2F25F6EA.jpeg
609DA179-A18B-43E9-8944-A7B8B49563F4.jpeg
Thank you for this Demy! Slight variation in the spirit of your fig distillate :)

I’m adding dried fig to a blanco brandy @ 101 proof - “a good’ish amount”. My buddy dropped me by a nice chunky calf sized piece of apple wood that’s been downed for a good 18 months. Think i’ll cut a tiny little pinky out of the heartwood for this - un-toasted.

Cheers!
-j
————
————
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:22 pm B432B196-BD15-470F-BBDB-5E4F2F25F6EA.jpeg
609DA179-A18B-43E9-8944-A7B8B49563F4.jpeg

Thank you for this Demy! Slight variation in the spirit of your fig distillate :)

I’m adding dried fig to a blanco brandy @ 101 proof - “a good’ish amount”. My buddy dropped me by a nice chunky calf sized piece of apple wood that’s been downed for a good 18 months. Think i’ll cut a tiny little pinky out of the heartwood for this - un-toasted.

Cheers!
-j
I'm sure you will get a good product, it will surely have a special flavor than classics distilled.I left to macerate about 15 days, it is likely (if you cut the fruits) that you need to filter your distillate.Cheers!!