Grape pomace and corn?

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Grape pomace and corn?

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

I have some leftover muscat pomace ( fresh, not fermented yet). Not enough to do a whole batch of just that (I have a 5gal bucket full), but too much to freeze. I usually have way more grape pomace and I make grappa from it, but decided not to make as much wine this year, so not much pomace.
So looking for options. Anyone ever do a corn and grape spirit? I could get a 50lb bag of cracked corn and cook it, add some enzymes and the grapes, plus possibly sugar as needed depending on the SG.
Any thoughts? I'd just be running it through a pot still.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
contrahead
Trainee

Re: Grape pomace and corn?

Post by contrahead »

Man, I'd say go for it. Brandy or Grappa mixed with whiskey may not be an especially celebrated combination, but who cares. Ethanol is ethanol, right?. You may even get lucky. Don't let that pomace go to waste.
Omnia mea mecum porto
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

"Grape or grain, but never the twain."
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

Just guessing here, I would probably try wheat instead of corn.
I would think it would be smoother and there's less flavor from wheat to let the grape come through.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I wouldn't mix it. I use it for a lightly grape flavored sugar wash that gets double distilled to use for fortification, fruit steeps, liqueurs, gin base, Absinthe, Ouzo etc..
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Reminds me of the bacon moonshine thread. I tried it and it went straight to the feints containers.
GreenEnvy22
Swill Maker

Post by GreenEnvy22 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll holdoff a bit and try to use it with the leftovers from my apples/pears when I make cider from those.
---
I have a 50L pot still with dual Liebig condenser.
I typically make Whisky, grappa, and brandy.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Never done but I think it would be good. My advice is to insert the pomace (if possible) in the boiler or towards the end of fermentation because the aromas of the pomace are volatile.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I quite often mix leftovers of fruit ferments/distillations/feints etc. and haven't made something we didn't like yet. Likewise, I have mixed various grain leftovers and made good product. Rum and grains hasn't made me a bad product yet.

Today, I made a sample of UJSSM plus my grape brandy and it's very strange. It's not a sipper on it's own. Swamp it with Coke or Ginger Ale and it might be drinkable.

I just tried it with Ginger Ale and it's not something I would serve to guests.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

After giving me previous post and giving some thought it reminded me of a craft distillery in our state that used used red wine barrels he bought from a winery to store his whiskey and it wasn’t bad. Gave a light flavor, not sure for me I would want an overbearing fruit flavor in my whiskey.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

You're mixing two different materials that have different requirements to achieve the best results. It's probably better to do them separately then blend afterwards.