Double Apple Pie

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Distillusioned
Novice

Double Apple Pie

Post by Distillusioned »

Nothing new, but I made some last week with generic neutral. It's much better starting with apple wine 'shine.

8 Cups of 63% 'shine made from homemade apple wine

1 Cup brown sugar
1 Cup white sugar
Apple juice mixed with the sugars to total 8 cups (about 7 cups)

1 Cinnamon stick (around 3.5 inches)
1 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Soak for a few days, taking out the cinnamon stick when it is cinnamony enough.

Sipping on some as I type this. I'm rather pleased with the results.
Last edited by Distillusioned on Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Double Apple Pie

Post by Deplorable »

I've had apple pie made from apple brandy, I can't say it was the best I've every had, but it was very tasty.
The best apple pie I've ever had was one that was unfiltered and left to sit for 3 years. Very complex.
I've got a case of pints I made back in June for this winter, and it's pretty delicious.
Apple pie made from your own shine is always better than pie made from everclear.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I have done my proofing in the past with apple juice as opposed to water.
Distillusioned
Novice

Post by Distillusioned »

Deplorable wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:00 pm I've had apple pie made from apple brandy, I can't say it was the best I've every had, but it was very tasty.
The best apple pie I've ever had was one that was unfiltered and left to sit for 3 years. Very complex.
I've got a case of pints I made back in June for this winter, and it's pretty delicious.
Apple pie made from your own shine is always better than pie made from everclear.
So do you mean actual brandy or just white distilled apple wine?

"Unfiltered" as in a blend of "unfiltered apple juice" and booze?

Never tried with actual Everclear (I meant generic neutral in the sense of whatever neutral-ish I happened to have on-hand, which was a mixture of grain and fruit based alcohol, all pot-stilled, so not truly neutral). I think having the apple-based spirit as the base was a pretty significant improvement.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Distilled hard cider, aged white, usually.
Unfiltered cider, apple juice, cinnamon and numeg.
Everclear is the common place high proof NGS used around here for making apple pie "mooonshine".
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.