Riesling wine smells great. Run smells ammonia

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Graw
Novice

Riesling wine smells great. Run smells ammonia

Post by Graw »

Made 12 gallons of Riesling wine. Turned out great smells and looks normal. Running it thru the pot still w thumper right now and it smells like ammonia. I’m on the 3rd quart jar and smell still there. It’s coming out at 142 proof which is right at what my still produces.
What could be the cause of the smell? Is this batch ruined? It is perfectly clear.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Riesling wine smells great. Run smells ammonia

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Not too sure about ammonia but has the Riesling been treated with SO2 (aka potassium metabisulfite / KMETA / campden / sulphur)?

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

I’ll look up the ingredients for the wine kit. What would SO2 make it smell like?
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

Looks like potassium metabisulfite is in wine kits. Wasn’t thinking this thru I suppose. Should have left all that out huh? What will that do to the distillate??
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It smells like rotten eggs.

How much copper have you got in your still?
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

Stainless pot with 2” of copper tube about 4’ in length. 2 rolls of copper scrubbers. Copper tube into the thumper and copper Liebig condenser.
Think you’re right. Doesn’t smell like sulphur so much but it’s violent to the nose. About 6 jars in I can’t smell it anymore. Would the stuff that doesn’t smell be worth keeping or is it harmful?
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

Make your cuts like you would anything else. You can recycle the heads into another run. Let those jars breathe overnight before you make the cuts.
:)
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Graw wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:38 pm… Doesn’t smell like sulphur so much but it’s violent to the nose. About 6 jars in I can’t smell it anymore.

Would the stuff that doesn’t smell be worth keeping or is it harmful?
It’s the “heads”.

In a fruit must, I would believe you’ll get a lot of ethyl acetate, the kind of stuff that smells like fingernail polish remover. Also, acetone and other ketones may be present, giving you a “solvent-like” sharp aroma when smelled. These volatile compounds may have a “spicy” character, but they will evaporate if you allow the collected spirit to “breathe” a day or 2.

When collecting on the spirit run, collect into a dozen or two of appropriately sized jars so you can make good cuts to eliminate the heads from your “keeper” jars. Have a good review of Kiwistiller’s Guide to Cuts to understand better.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

And no big deal if you have made an error. Just water the mess back down to 20 or 30% and run it again :)
:)