Peach Brandy from peach puree

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I have been home distilling about 12 years and have always wanted to try a peach brandy, I have been unable to find an affordable source of peaches for this project. I have recently found a source of peach (and other fruits) puree on the 'net (https://asepticfruitpurees.com) and are looking for input. I am looking at their 44 lb pouch for the project and the web page claims that the puree is pasteurized and contains asorbic acid but no p reservations. They list the Brix -16-18 ph at 3.40-4.10, acidity at .50-.90 and texture as thick. I have no experience with fruits and need some help. Do you guys think it will work. I would double run in a pot still and add some tails and late heads back and try to pick up peach favor (I do have have a thumber). I would try and not add favor. The 44 Lb pouch is $76 (ouch) and would need to maximize the out-put at that price. I don't have a handle on how much water to add/gal- /pound. and would love to end up with 30 ish gals of wash (must?) and do 2 stripping runs.

Any advice, experiences, suggestions, etc greatly appreciated. Thanking you guys in advance for any help.

Boda Getta
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I have been home distilling about 12 years and have always wanted to try a peach brandy, I have been unable to find an affordable source of peaches for this project. I have recently found a source of peach (and other fruits) puree on the 'net (https://asepticfruitpurees.com) and are looking for input. I am looking at their 44 lb pouch for the project and the web page claims that the puree is pasteurized and contains asorbic acid but no p reservations. They list the Brix -16-18 ph at 3.40-4.10, acidity at .50-.90 and texture as thick. I have no experience with fruits and need some help. Do you guys think it will work. I would double run in a pot still and add some tails and late heads back and try to pick up peach favor (I do have have a thumber). I would try and not add favor. The 44 Lb pouch is $76 (ouch) and would need to maximize the out-put at that price. I don't have a handle on how much water to add/gal- /pound. and would love to end up with 30 ish gals of wash (must?) and do 2 stripping runs.

Any advice, experiences, suggestions, etc greatly appreciated. Thanking you guys in advance for any help.

Boda Getta
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Peach Brandy from peach puree

Post by EricTheRed »

Hi
I've done a few peach brandys
You will pectolaze to covert the pectons to fermentable sugars.
Do that on the pure mash
Take an sg reading
Target 1.06 or less
Will likely need yo add some sugar and water to fill your fermenter
I'll dig up my recipe link
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

My recipe
viewtopic.php?t=85358#p7694476
You've a head start as you don't need to simmer the puree
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

At that Brix, there is no need to add water. If you want to dilute the flavor by adding water and sugar, go for it, but I wouldn't. You can always stretch it with some neutral later, but I bet you don't.

Don't try to decide your cuts by tasting individual jars. I tried that and the combined heads and tails tasted more of peach than my carefully selected heart cut. Make up a sample of the most tasteless middle hearts jars, then alternately add to it from the jars at each end until you identify the jars that are one too far.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

NZChris wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:26 pm Make up a sample of the most tasteless middle hearts jars, then alternately add to it from the jars at each end until you identify the jars that are one too far.
This viewtopic.php?f=15&t=68702#p7500097
GPBrewer
Novice

Post by GPBrewer »

Any update on this? My Aseptic Puree is arriving today and I'm curious what you'd do differently (if anything), the next time you did this?
squigglefunk
Trainee

Post by squigglefunk »

boda getta wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:59 pm I am looking at their 44 lb pouch for the project
not sure if it's concentrated but 44LBs of fruit is not a lot to make much of anything IMO.

forgive me if I am wrong with this as math and such are not my strength but wouldn't brix of 16 be approx 8% sugar so you basically have 3.8 lbs of sugar content?