Super-filtration of fruit

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

Super-filtration of fruit

Post by Demy »

I wanted to call the DSF method (demy super filtration) but maybe it's too much.
I used this method successfully for some time but before posting a video I wanted to be sure that it worked for our uses. I hope it's useful to the whole forum, thank you for your time.
Dancing4dan
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Super-filtration of fruit

Post by Dancing4dan »

Hey Demy, good timing. My daughter has sour cherries and apples. Will be exploring some cider options at harvest time this year and this might be just the trick we are looking for!

Thanks for sharing
"What harms us is to persist in self deceit and ignorance"
Marcus Aurelius
I’m not an alcoholic! I’m a drunk. Alcoholics go to meetings!
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Did you squeeze the waste dry or just let it thaw and filter 100% on its own?
MereCashmere
Novice

Post by MereCashmere »

This is incredible. Thank you!

How long does filtration take?

Does it lose any sweetness?

Do you defrost in the fridge?
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I've been playing with freeze jacking for years, with much success, but haven't tried using gelatin or agar agar.

A couple of days ago I freeze jacked some juiced feijoas and am experimenting with using it in a liqueur. I wouldn't call it a success, just OK.

Today, I've added gelatin to some feijoa pulp and put it in the freezer to see how much difference it makes.

A Brix refractometer is handy for deciding the çut when freeze jacking juice.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:42 am Did you squeeze the waste dry or just let it thaw and filter 100% on its own?
Hi, you simply have to leave thaw but in the refrigerator, it is important that it happens at low temperatures, don't squeeze but leave to drop simply
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

MereCashmere wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:47 pm This is incredible. Thank you!

How long does filtration take?

Does it lose any sweetness?

Do you defrost in the fridge?
No, it does not lose sweetness, you will leave all the solid parts back, you will have the whole aroma of the fruit, get a super-aromatic but without solid juice. Generally it takes a lot time because it must thaw at low temperature (in the fridge) so we say one day.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:59 pm I've been playing with freeze jacking for years, with much success, but haven't tried using gelatin or agar agar.

A couple of days ago I freeze jacked some juiced feijoas and am experimenting with using it in a liqueur. I wouldn't call it a success, just OK.

Today, I've added gelatin to some feijoa pulp and put it in the freezer to see how much difference it makes.

A Brix refractometer is handy for deciding the çut when freeze jacking juice.
Yes, freezing with a gelling agent helps maintain solid parts "trapped" more effectively than the simple freezing method.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Dancing4dan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:53 am Hey Demy, good timing. My daughter has sour cherries and apples. Will be exploring some cider options at harvest time this year and this might be just the trick we are looking for!

Thanks for sharing
I also tried with cherries with excellent result, it generally works even with vegetables ... thank you so many.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Similar topic I designed a vacuum filtration system I use:
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=25090
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Bushman wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:37 am Similar topic I designed a vacuum filtration system I use:
It is now I remember seeing that project, very nice. My system is very simple but very effective so anyone can do it without equipment.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Demy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:50 am
Bushman wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:37 am Similar topic I designed a vacuum filtration system I use:
It is now I remember seeing that project, very nice. My system is very simple but very effective so anyone can do it without equipment.
:thumbup:
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

Hi Demy, how long does the filtration process take? Do you get any oxidation of the juice that comes out?

I did some freeze distillation of cider (applejack) many years ago, and the time it took for thawing, the product coming out seemed to degrade a bit from exposure to air.

Anyway, looks great, thank you for sharing!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

tommysb wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:29 am Hi Demy, how long does the filtration process take? Do you get any oxidation of the juice that comes out?

I did some freeze distillation of cider (applejack) many years ago, and the time it took for thawing, the product coming out seemed to degrade a bit from exposure to air.

Anyway, looks great, thank you for sharing!
Hi, sorry for the late reply but I haven't really seen the question. I didn't notice oxidation because I only made small batches for flavored liqueurs or things like that, on a large batch you could probably feel it. You could use an antioxidant in the mixer, I know the industries use vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and metabisulfite.
For the time it took, the day before I froze then it takes at least 5 hours to defrost, this is because it must be done in the refrigerator. At room temperature it takes less time but you may have a less clear juice, it depends on the use.
Ratbastrd
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ratbastrd »

I'm not sure I understand the application here? Is this a method to extract more juice vs pressing? If simply to clarify, why not just use pectic enzymes in the ferment? Or is this simply for infusions?

I'm extracting Blackberry juice as we speak and have frozen the berries.

Thanks!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Ratbastrd wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 am I'm not sure I understand the application here? Is this a method to extract more juice vs pressing? If simply to clarify, why not just use pectic enzymes in the ferment? Or is this simply for infusions?

Thanks!
None of the above. It concentrates flavor, sugar, etc., by removing water.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

NZChris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 am
Ratbastrd wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 am I'm not sure I understand the application here? Is this a method to extract more juice vs pressing? If simply to clarify, why not just use pectic enzymes in the ferment? Or is this simply for infusions?

Thanks!
Well if Demy suggests it and NZ Chris endorses it I am sold.

Geoff
The Baker
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

This is a very useful method in our field ... What happens is: concentration of flavor, clarification .. it removes all the solid parts that a pressing fails to do, reduces the volume so it is a suitable method for flavoring our distillates. Try it out and let us know.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The Baker wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:13 am Well if Demy suggests it and NZ Chris endorses it I am sold.

Geoff
If you read what I said, I didn't call my one and only experiment a success. I will be trying it again, next time with the agar agar that I bought this week.
EricTheRed
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by EricTheRed »

Try it without any thickener - agar adds a certain flavour - there is enough pectin in the fruit to hold onto solids
we do the same method for consume - let it drip through 5 layers of cheesecloth - comes out crystal clear
do not try force it in any way - let it naturally melt
My fekking eyes are bleeding! Installed BS Filters - better! :D
Life has gotten interesting!
Ratbastrd
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ratbastrd »

NZChris wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:15 am

Thanks!
Got it! Will have to try next time, everything is frozen already.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

EricTheRed wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:45 am Try it without any thickener - agar adds a certain flavour - there is enough pectin in the fruit to hold onto solids
we do the same method for consume - let it drip through 5 layers of cheesecloth - comes out crystal clear
do not try force it in any way - let it naturally melt
I've had pectin precipitate out of freeze jacked juice after adding spirit to get 35% abv.