Figs

Information about fruit/vegetable type washes.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PC1
Novice

Figs

Post by PC1 »

So I was given 15 jars, (lbs) of fig preserves. These figs are packed in an extremely heavy sugar syrup. Almost honey consistency. Wonderful flavor. Of course I’m going to do something with them, but I haven’t decided if I should try a mash with them on their own in a pot still, or possibly add other fruit to the mash, I have several quarts of home canned plums. Or possibly put them in a thumper with a sugar wash. Anyone ever use these, or anything similar?
Thanks!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Re: Figs

Post by Demy »

I use fruits, not jam ... I believe you should dilute, ferment and then distil. If you add plums they will likely cover up the (very subtle) flavor of the figs, the decision is up to you. If I had whole figs I could recommend other things.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi,
I see where you are coming from.
But what a pity to destroy those beautiful figs.
Give some to friends packed in smaller nice jars?
Make a fig liqueur by more or less adding some nice spirit??

Maybe...

Geoff
The Baker
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Demy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:55 pm I use fruits, not jam ... I believe you should dilute, ferment and then distil. If you add plums they will likely cover up the (very subtle) flavor of the figs, the decision is up to you. If I had whole figs I could recommend other things.
Demy, my fig tree is currently loaded for the first time. I don’t believe there will be enough (maybe 50 figs) to ferment and distill, but with more figs from my brother’s tree, maybe? Any advice would be appreciated.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:37 pm
Demy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:55 pm I use fruits, not jam ... I believe you should dilute, ferment and then distil. If you add plums they will likely cover up the (very subtle) flavor of the figs, the decision is up to you. If I had whole figs I could recommend other things.
Demy, my fig tree is currently loaded for the first time. I don’t believe there will be enough (maybe 50 figs) to ferment and distill, but with more figs from my brother’s tree, maybe? Any advice would be appreciated.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=84578
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Unless I already have a fair idea of how it will turn out, I ferment and distill fruit separately. You can always combine them later, (but I never have).

Sugar brings no flavor with it, so the fruit flavors will already be diluted. If you are looking to make cheap, drinkable, spirit out of what you've got, go for it, and add as much sugar as you think you can get away with. I suggest you don't aim for above 8% ABV. As long as you get the cuts right, you should be able to make ok product, but the flavor won't be as intense as a spirit made from fresh fruit.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Thanks Demy. I shoulda looked for your fig thread first, but alas, tested positive for Covid today, and a little distracted. The first fruit of the season was very sweet and tasted perfect to make some brandy out of. Definitely gonna give the maceration a try.
X
0570684D-1A40-497F-A088-7E62C97D75E7.jpeg
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:40 pm Thanks Demy. I shoulda looked for your fig thread first, but alas, tested positive for Covid today, and a little distracted. The first fruit of the season was very sweet and tasted perfect to make some brandy out of. Definitely gonna give the maceration a try.
X
0570684D-1A40-497F-A088-7E62C97D75E7.jpeg
No problem. If you want to make a simple maceration advice to "caramelize" the figs in the oven and to add them whole ... I discovered that exposing the pulp to alcohol creates a difficult cloudiness to filter, I think it is the fault of pectin and that melts from the fruit. Caramelization will give the product a unique flavor, even if your figs are different from mine I expect a similar result.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I macerated some figs in wine brandy following Demy's advice and it was excellent! I didn't caramelize them but will next time. I also cut them in half and did have some minor cloudiness but I drank it anyway :) it's all gone now until next brandy/grappa!

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:02 am I macerated some figs in wine brandy following Demy's advice and it was excellent! I did have some minor cloudiness but I drank it anyway :)

Cheers,
jonny
Way to power through Jonny! Can’t let any cloudiness get in the way!

Caramelizing in the oven is definitely on the schedule.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Hypatia
Novice

Post by Hypatia »

I dry my figs then macerate in 45% spirit or brandy. Drying them brings some smoky molasses flavours that really play well with brandy. I then use the macerated fruit to make a thick jammy paste. Great with cheese. Cheese, paste and fig brandy - an excellent winters night repast.
Wildcats
Distiller

Post by Wildcats »

We had a lot of fig trees when I lived in south Texas. Wish we had em here in Kentucky. Would love to make some likker with them. Maybe I can find another source for them here.