What is the recommended temp for fleischmann's yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

haeffnkr
Novice

What is the recommended temp for fleischmann's yeast

Post by haeffnkr »

Hi,
What is the best temp to ferment at to get the cleanest results from fleischmans yeast?

I am wanting to use bread yeast for my sugar based neutral wash.

thanks haeffnkr
hpby98
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What is the recommended temp for fleischmann's yeast

Post by hpby98 »

I’ve used between 27-30°C with no problem
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

I've used Fleischmann's bread yeast exclusively for the last three years. An Inkbird controller manages a brew-belt heater ... with a set point of 85F, and a 1 degree deviation, my ferments finish quickly and end clean.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

From my own experimentation I've pushed up as high as 95f without any off flavours. Very active ferments down to completely dry.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by jb-texshine »

83-85°f is where I keep it.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

77-80 only because I have an insulated cart and use an aquarium temp controller with a lightbulb heat source. When I used a heater it was between 77-85. Really haven't noticed a difference in flavor but I am sure I use much less electricity with a light bulb.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

haeffnkr wrote:....cleanest results from fleischmans yeast...for my sugar based neutral wash.
Just be sure to add nutrients in the sugar wash, and also some pH buffering once started.

For nutrients, a multi-vitamin (B-complex works great), some nitrogen (I use 10-10-10 fertilizer), and a little epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) will get you started. Diamonium phosphate (DAP) works good too in lieu of the fertilizer. Phosphorous is very good for yeast health, especially during budding, so the fertilizer or DAP help this a lot.

But as the sugar wash is fermented, the process will produce acids, so a pH buffer like calcium carbonate (crushed oyster shells or powder) will help. I would add the buffer solution (usually best hydrated in a little water first) once the yeast starts percolating good (12 hours after pitching the yeast is fine).

Keep the ferment in the recommended temperature range and it’ll drive to termination for you.

Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
haeffnkr
Novice

Post by haeffnkr »

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
I hope my new aquarium heater can keep the wash in the mid 80's range.

Much appreciated information on the yeast nutrients as well.

thanks haeffnkr
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

haeffnkr wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
I hope my new aquarium heater can keep the wash in the mid 80's range.

Much appreciated information on the yeast nutrients as well.

thanks haeffnkr
I have never had a problem with the temp control with my aquarium controller. Do you have an aquarium heater or controller? I live in a pretty mild climate but last summer it was unusually hot and while fermenting a rum wash I needed to actually add a fan to the controller.
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

ExpatLad wrote:From my own experimentation I've pushed up as high as 95f without any off flavours. Very active ferments down to completely dry.
Totally agree. Bread yeast works well into the 90's. Just keep your temps steady and use nutrients as others have stated and the yeast
will be happy.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Ditto. I keep my distilling buckets off the cold floor, use heater belts, and wrap blankets around them.
Distillations are done within 3 or 4, maybe 5 days too! But I can run them only on weekends so they sit for 7.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

haeffnkr wrote:Hi,
What is the best temp to ferment at to get the cleanest results from fleischmans yeast?
I am wanting to use bread yeast for my sugar based neutral wash.
thanks haeffnkr
JMHO :lol:
Bakers yeast likes a balanced diet of nutrients
CONSTANT temp of 29 - 32c
OG 1.07 - 1.05
Starting pH around 6.0 ish
Final pH of 3.5 - 4.0 ish
Ferment fast, clean, almost complete and cold crash for a day or 3 before distilling
soul_gelatin
Novice

Post by soul_gelatin »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 am For nutrients, a multi-vitamin (B-complex works great), some nitrogen (I use 10-10-10 fertilizer)
Just going through this old thread and probs it should be noted that there's some debate about the safety of using urea based fertilisers. See:
https://brewhaus.com/blog/what-is-urea- ... rbo-yeast/
http://www.essencia.co.nz/Bulletins/Ure ... Market.pdf
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

My 90F+ garage ferments with it to dry with no off flavors. Many, many, many times.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Smokee
Swill Maker

Post by Smokee »

I found this thread while searching for feedback on temps using Fleischmann's, very interesting to read about how much higher temps ppl are using with this yeast. I'm a die-hard Fleischmann's user, been making whiskey for almost 7 years with it. Shortly after the Covid lock-down this yeast disappeared from the shelves here where I'm at. I bought a big pack of DADY but didn't really like it. I'm chalking that up to just being used to Fleish's yeast and never using DADY. I typically start Fleish's at 80*F (27*C) and bring it up to 84*F (29*C), I'm def going to start out higher next time. My prob (which really isn't a prob) is that I work Monday thru Thursday afternoon then head to the mountains til Sunday late afternoon. I'd love to shave a day or so off my ferments.
Merle
Novice

Post by Merle »

Iv got a high gravity cider going strong using fleischmann in my basement sitting at 14C it think that's about 58f so it doesn't seem to mind the cold at all
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Smokee wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:42 am I typically start Fleish's at 80*F (27*C) and bring it up to 84*F (29*C), I'm def going to start out higher next time. My prob (which really isn't a prob) is that I work Monday thru Thursday afternoon then head to the mountains til Sunday late afternoon. I'd love to shave a day or so off my ferments.
You are right in the ball park for pitching the bread yeast at, but don't above 82 - 83*.. or any other of the bread yeast brands.. yeah you can push then to go faster by increasing the temp into the 87 - 93* range, but you will get a yeasty smell and flavor to the wash..

If you are looking for a ferment that finishes in 4 days (990), then check out your ingredients list.. the wrong combination of ingredients or not the right amount, or to much will effect the fermentation time.. as will as an unstable fermenting temp..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein