Boiling yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Boiling yeast

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I've been seeing more comments/recipes talking about boiling the yeast... I've never done it, don't know too much if anything about it... Does boiling it mean rehydrating it in a small bit of warm water? Does it make a difference in the recipe?
When I've pitched my yeast, I usually just let it warm up and then pour it in and swirl, or just sprinkle it on top and give it a swirl. Boiling? more info please...
GG
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Boiling yeast

Post by Deplorable »

They're talking about boiling it to make a nutrient for fresh yeast.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Deplorable: so boiling the yeast, to the point of boiling it (till it dies??) in order to feed the next fresh yeast, correct? Why not just add Nutrient or ??
Sorry...still a bit confused.
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Hello gringo, the boiling you are talking about is done to create a nutrient for the yeast, this in fact is literally boiled. Rehydration is another thing, we try to give water back to the yeast in order to "wake it up gently" and prepare it for fermentation.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Grappa-Gringo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 am Deplorable: so boiling the yeast, to the point of boiling it (till it dies??) in order to feed the next fresh yeast, correct? Why not just add Nutrient or ??
Google search "Yeast bomb" it is nutrient for the wash Pugi rum was the first place I read about it.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I usually have a ton of trub after a ferment and racking so I boil it (can it in mason jars) and add as nutrient when called for. Plenty to go around lol.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I have boiled yeast many times and if you don't pay attention it can foam and boil over VERY EASILY. Most recipes that call for boiled yeast should list the amount for the size of the wash. If it doesn't, I just use the amount recommended from another recipe. They're usually very similar.

I recently read to bring water to a boil, turn off heat, add yeast, whisk it well and leave it sit for 5 minutes. That's the easiest way.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NineInchNails wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:51 am I have boiled yeast many times and if you don't pay attention it can foam and boil over VERY EASILY. Most recipes that call for boiled yeast should list the amount for the size of the wash. If it doesn't, I just use the amount recommended from another recipe. They're usually very similar.

I recently read to bring water to a boil, turn off heat, add yeast, whisk it well and leave it sit for 5 minutes. That's the easiest way.
Right, I add if inserted directly to keep the flame very low and stir often because there is a risk of burning at the bottom of the pot.
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

If you haven't an exhaust fan then do make sure to open the windows. Boiled yeast stinks. Bad.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
bluedog
Novice

Post by bluedog »

Grappa-Gringo wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:54 am Deplorable: so boiling the yeast, to the point of boiling it (till it dies??) in order to feed the next fresh yeast, correct? Why not just add Nutrient or ??
I'm pretty sure yeast nutrient is also mostly yeast cells that have been murdered one way or another. Sorry to break it to you.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

jonnys_spirit wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:15 am I usually have a ton of trub after a ferment and racking so I boil it (can it in mason jars) and add as nutrient when called for. Plenty to go around lol.

Cheers,
jonny

Boiled trub makes a fairly good nutrient.
But I think, boiled fresh yeast is much better. :wink:
It's even better than the "yeast hulls" found in most store bought nutrient mixes
n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

Boiled yeast test

Post by n_plains_drifter »

I started a few fermenters with a fresh batch of UJSSM (new cracked corn, sugar, Calcium Carbonate, 9th gen backset) and I added about 300 ml of boiled yeast to each fermenter.

The fermenters were ROCKING and ROLLING 8 hours later. It was probably complete overkill, but it certainly worked. And since I've got 2 more liters of boiled yeast, I could afford to be generous. Anybody got info on desired pitching rates and /or whether I'll have any off flavors from using the quantity I did?

My method is to rack my wash into a vessel to let it clear, then siphon the clear wash off and leave the floculated yeast behind. I collect that up until I've got 4-5 liters, and then boil it up and put it in jars in the fridge.