Ferm Solutions 917 yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ferm Solutions 917 yeast

Post by ezlle71 »

I put down a 45 gallon corn mash sunday. Monday afternoon/evening grabbed a half quart of mash to set a starter. Holy Crap!! This yeast took like a rocket!! i bet it wasn't more than 5 mins and it was over flowing the jar. Very impressed with the activity on this yeast. I've never seen bakers take off like this. I will report back with results when i run this batch.
Don't let your meat loaf.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Ferm Solutions 917 yeast

Post by StillerBoy »

ezlle71 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am Monday afternoon/evening grabbed a half quart of mash to set a starter. Holy Crap!! This yeast took like a rocket!! i bet it wasn't more than 5 mins and it was over flowing the jar.
Very confusing statement.. the amount of mash is known, but not the amount of yeast used..

When doing a starter, considerably less yeast is used compared to sprinkling dry yeast on top of a mash/wash..
ezlle71 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am Very impressed with the activity on this yeast. I've never seen bakers take off like this.
Again comparing apples with oranges.. were the amounts and methods identical.. bread yeast will do the same if done in the same manner..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

The instructions said a gram per gallon of mash. so i started 45 grams of yeast. And i have started Bread yeast in the same manner and it didn't take off like this did. I've even done Dady yeast the same way and it reminded me of bakers.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

StillerBoy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:43 am
ezlle71 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am Monday afternoon/evening grabbed a half quart of mash to set a starter. Holy Crap!! This yeast took like a rocket!! i bet it wasn't more than 5 mins and it was over flowing the jar.
Very confusing statement.. the amount of mash is known, but not the amount of yeast used..

When doing a starter, considerably less yeast is used compared to sprinkling dry yeast on top of a mash/wash..
ezlle71 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:25 am Very impressed with the activity on this yeast. I've never seen bakers take off like this.
Again comparing apples with oranges.. were the amounts and methods identical.. bread yeast will do the same if done in the same manner..

Mars
I have seen people pitch from teaspoons to a pound of yeast in different recipes. I.e. yeast bombs and the like. I didn't think the amount was relevant. what i was getting at was the activity of this particular strain of yeast in the starter was impressive to me
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I'm a fan of farm solutions yeast. They bring a nice flavor profile to the ferment
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

dieselduo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:34 am I'm a fan of farm solutions yeast. They bring a nice flavor profile to the ferment
glad to hear! thank you!
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

I just ordered some 048 for a rye whiskey, I found their website a bit un-helpful, they have about 6 different "whisky" strains, not super clear if any lean more for one specific type or another. Would be nice to get more info on them, as far as flavors maybe?
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Hambone
Rumrunner

Post by Hambone »

For what it’s worth, I like to do several runs of a mash bill with something cheap (baker’s) until I’m comfortable that I’m doing it in a reproducible way. Maybe then I’ll experiment with yeast varieties to see any true impact.

Also FWIW, I find myself coming back to baker’s yeast most of the time….
Good judgement is the result of experience.

Experience is usually the result of bad judgement..
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

For what it's worth Ferm Solutions 917 yeast is a beasty yeasty. I've still got some that was bought 2+years ago and it still launches a rocket start.
PDBRadley
Novice

Post by PDBRadley »

I've been using their 921 with excellent results, even when fermentation temperature is higher than usual. It ferments very quickly and completely at higher temperatures with little negative effect on the flavor profile. Cooler and slower is better but there's not a huge drop off. I tried their ale yeast on a single malt. The jury is still out until aging progresses.
JAlan
Novice

Post by JAlan »

I just received my first shipment of FermSolutions yeast. 500 grams each of 921 and FP-1 as well as 500 grams of Nutrient. I have found nearly zero data or distillation experiences online. Really looking forward to future ferments as this company is located on the Bourbon trail and supplies many of the "big boy" distillers.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

I’ve used the FP921 for warmer ferments with my rum. The FP900 is suited for both warm and cooler ferments with whiskies. I like both of them. Very affordable and good results. I get good grain caps & a foamy krausen within 4 hours. You have to rehydrate them first though, I didn’t get good results just sprinkling them on top.
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

One thing i noticed guys on this 917 yeast, is after i squeeze the grains and run a sugarhead back on the grains it doesn't to seem to wanna fire back up. last few i've had to repitch Bakers. which is fine its cheap but i had the same problem with DADY. So i just plan repitching on any sugarhead now on.