Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by MoonBreath »

Some stuff rumored to be pretty good.
https://ferm-solutions.net/product-category/enzymes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by BaxtersDad »

MoonBreath wrote:Some stuff rumored to be pretty good.
https://ferm-solutions.net/product-category/enzymes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Thanks, I looked at those before, and they do look like what I want. I hope they sell in the liter quantity retail to individuals, anybody know if they do or not? White Labs only sells to breweries, distilleries or home brew shops, no direct sales to individuals according to their web page. I am not ready to order yet, I will be out of operation basking in the sun at an RV park in Arizona until April.
HDNB
Site Mod

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by HDNB »

yes they sell liters to people pretty friggin reasonable too. about 16 bux IIRC

try their yeast too. goes off like a firecracker and makes some nice whiskey.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by BaxtersDad »

HDNB wrote:yes they sell liters to people pretty friggin reasonable too. about 16 bux IIRC

try their yeast too. goes off like a firecracker and makes some nice whiskey.
Thanks, I will definitely place an order when I get back from AZ!
acfixer69
Global moderator

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by acfixer69 »

Yup and there 917 yeast is a kick ass whiskey for 11 bucks.
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by Big Stogie »

I have both enzymes they work well, the 927 yeast made some good rum and whiskey, the 048 gives a more floral whiskey Dr Pat told me, I used it but have not run it. I also have the vodka yeast which I’m going to try with rice and distillers malt along with the enzymes for a gin base. Ferm Solutions has been good to me so far, he helped me create a process for doing the corn with enzymes that is easy and fast, the prices are also very fair in my opinion
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by fizzix »

Link is in My Favorites... thanks, MoonBreath.
And how did you get that flaming Topic icon?
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

:twisted:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

fizzix wrote: And how did you get that flaming Topic icon?
enter any number of sassy comments.... :moresarcasm:

now i drink for evil.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Lol, HDNB.

I split this topic from another one, to keep it from being locked and buried among an unneeded thread. Gave it an icon, as it is a great new source for our enzymes.

Moonbreath gets to be OP because he was the first off topic poster of the old thread :lol:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Have to confess I have always used malted grains, probably should give enzymes a go. Would like to do both and a side by side taste test.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I ordered from them after seeing a post on the thread about pinto's troubles. Enzymes and yeast are both fairly priced in quantities that make sense for our use and shipped fast. I use the 921 for both rum and whiskey ferments.

Their distillery side also makes a really fine kentucky straight bourbon and rye.
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

Bushman wrote:Have to confess I have always used malted grains, probably should give enzymes a go. Would like to do both and a side by side taste test.
Malted grains are what I use for conversion in the standard temperature range, 140-160 df. I have used White Labs Opti-Ferm along with the malted grains as sort of "insurance," just because I had it but I do not believe it is necessary at all. But what you cannot do with malted grains is what the the high temp enzyme does. The way it thins out the "corn stew" is nothing short of amazing to watch. I am really looking forward to giving the Ferm-Solutions high temp enzyme a try, since the Opti-Mash and Opti-Ferm I have were purchased in 2015 and are 2 years past their expiration dates!
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

I am currently using these and had a little info to add, in case someone else orders and don't receive any instruction as I did.

AHA optimum temp 150-190 and Ph 5.5-6.5
Gluco optimum temp 90-110 Ph 5.5-6.5

This was after a phone call requesting info after purchase. Is there anyone else that is using their products that have used them at the above guidelines and found they work better at another range?
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

That's around where I use them. I do start higher for the gluco at around 135, but it drops to there.

For what it's worth, I think these are the manufacturer instructions for the enzymes they repackage and sell. I don't know that for a fact, but the names match. I've gotten good results following the instructions here:

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/enzy ... a-400.html

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/enzy ... a-150.html
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

MtRainier wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm That's around where I use them. I do start higher for the gluco at around 135, but it drops to there.

For what it's worth, I think these are the manufacturer instructions for the enzymes they repackage and sell. I don't know that for a fact, but the names match. I've gotten good results following the instructions here:

https://en.angelyeast.com/products/enzy ... a-150.html
Thanks MtRainier
30xs
Swill Maker

Post by 30xs »

Reading through those instructions the gluco is WAY different than what I was told over the phone when I asked for instructions. These sound more realistic, but he did say that I was how they were doing it at their distillery.

Maybe they do it for simplicity since I did it as they said, didn't do any adjustment of Ph and the gluco went in at 5.8 and 6.1, if the cheapo Amazon meter was even close. I would have thought the corn should have brought it lower than that, but its bubbling away so I'm not complaining.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I hear ya. Here's how I use them in my 20 gallon batches.

I've mostly used these enzymes for mashes mostly made of 80% coarsely ground corn and 10% unmalted crushed rye with 10% malted barley. I bring the corn up to a boil with about 2lbs per gallon and cook it for around 30 minutes. I dump in their alpha-amylase at boiling temp while it's still bubbling away at the end of that boil time and it thins right out. I never check pH for the alpha, figuring it's at least a little acidic from the corn, but I don't really know. I also dump in the rye at that time and let it kind of cool naturally for another 30 min or so. The rye doesn't seem to need as much cooking and I've heard that anything over 180F increases bad flavors.

I cool the bunch down to 135 and then add the malted barley and gluco-amylase after checking the pH. I usually have to add a little bit of citric acid to drop it. I let that cool naturally for 90 minutes and then start cooling. When it gets to 80 I check pH and pitch yeast and let it go. I check pH a day later and add powdered calcium carbonate if it seems to be dropping too low.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

Just ordered a quart of each the enzymes and 917 yeast. Will see how it does. Excited to give it a whirl.
Don't let your meat loaf.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I'm almost out of my enzymes from Pintoshine, so I ordered a liter of each from them today.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 am I'm almost out of my enzymes from Pintoshine, so I ordered a liter of each from them today.
I'm sure you'll enjoy their products. I've been using them for a good while now. The yeasts are good too
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

dieselduo wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:14 pm
Deplorable wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:59 am I'm almost out of my enzymes from Pintoshine, so I ordered a liter of each from them today.
I'm sure you'll enjoy their products. I've been using them for a good while now. The yeasts are good too
Good. I'll be doing a lot of corn this winter, so I'm going to be using them a lot. I think I have about 2 more mashes worth of Pinto's two 4 ounce bottles.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

threw down 100 lbs of corn with 50 gallon of water and hit 1.055=7% with these enzymes this weekend. I really Like them. Awesome tool to have in the arsenal.
Don't let your meat loaf.
opus345
Novice

Post by opus345 »

Just ordered

FSI-917 - 500 grams × 1 $11.00
AHA-400 Enzyme - 1.2kg × 1 $16.00
GA-150 Enzyme - 1.2kg × 1 $14.00
Subtotal: $41.00
Shipping: $18.71 via Ground (UPS)
Freight Surcharge: $1.64

opus
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

I haven't ordered enzymes in a while. Is this the go to place for them?
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I sure hope so because I just ordered both types of enzymes from them yesterday. Was surprised that shipping to the west coast costs as much as the product. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

MtRainier wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm For what it's worth, I think these are the manufacturer instructions for the enzymes they repackage and sell. I don't know that for a fact, but the names match. I've gotten good results following the instructions here:
Thanks for that. Even though the temperatures listed are different between FERM Solutions and Angelyeast I'd be they are the same product too. My concern is if the enzyme denatures at boiling temp which both manufacturers seem to indicate it doesn't.
frunobulax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by frunobulax »

OtisT wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:47 am I sure hope so because I just ordered both types of enzymes from them yesterday. Was surprised that shipping to the west coast costs as much as the product. Otis
Yeah. I put an order together, and the shipping is almost as much as the order :(
(East coast)
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

frunobulax wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:51 pm
OtisT wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:47 am I sure hope so because I just ordered both types of enzymes from them yesterday. Was surprised that shipping to the west coast costs as much as the product. Otis
Yeah. I put an order together, and the shipping is almost as much as the order :(
(East coast)
still a bargain. 16 buck for a liter, some of the other places were/are charging 16 bucks for 4 oz plus shipping.

now i drink for evil.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

HDNB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 pm
still a bargain. 16 buck for a liter, some of the other places were/are charging 16 bucks for 4 oz plus shipping.
+1

The several times I bought the Enzymash HTL and SEBAmyl Gluco kits from Pint it cost me $25 (delivered) for the pair of 4oz bottles. At the recommended dosages this worked out to $1.50 for 16 x 12gal mashes.

The Ferm-Solutions require a higher dosage for each enzyme, but still, the Ferm-Solutions work out $.88/batch. This assumes (per Otis) doubling the product price to calculate shipping to the west coast.

Those who have experience with the GA-150, are you mashing with it or following the directions to add it to the ferment along with your yeast? I would think doing the latter might skew your SG numbers.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer