Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ferm-Solutions Enzymes

Post by greggn »

Twisted Brick wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:50 pm
Those who have experience with the GA-150, are you mashing with it or following the directions to add it to the ferment along with your yeast?

First I hit the mash with some citric acid to lower the pH then I add the gluco when the mash cools down into the 150 - 145F range. Essentially, I use them the same way as I did with the SEB enzymes.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

greggn wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 am
Those who have experience with the GA-150, are you mashing with it or following the directions to add it to the ferment along with your yeast?

First I hit the mash with some citric acid to lower the pH then I add the gluco when the mash cools down into the 150 - 145F range. Essentially, I use them the same way as I did with the SEB enzymes.
Thanks, greggn. I suspected as much. I don't want to alter the processes I use to measure conversion and gravity so I planned to use them as usual. The Ferm-Solutions doesn't mention details such as enzyme source (ie: aspergillus niger) or ideal pH ranges. Maybe I just haven't look closely enough.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

HDNB wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:10 pm
still a bargain. 16 buck for a liter, some of the other places were/are charging 16 bucks for 4 oz plus shipping.
+1

The several times I bought the Enzymash HTL and SEBAmyl Gluco kits from Pint it cost me $25 (delivered) for the pair of 4oz bottles. At the recommended dosages this worked out to $1.50 for 16 x 12gal mashes.

The Ferm-Solutions require a higher dosage for each enzyme, but still, the Ferm-Solutions work out $.88/batch. This assumes (per Otis) doubling the product price to calculate shipping to the west coast.

Those who have experience with the GA-150, are you mashing with it or following the directions to add it to the ferment along with your yeast? I would think doing the latter might skew your SG numbers.
I added it at 140 and let it coast down on my last all corn mash. I got a better conversion with this 3rd mash by a few points on the OG. Still haven't lifted the lid to check FG since we're out of town until next Saturday.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I just did my first Honey Bear Bourbon ferment to finish at 10 00 using these enzymes. I have always used flaked corn, but still never had one finish that low. 10 04 was as low as I was getting. And the darn thing fermented in 3 days. :-). Love these enzymes. Did the corn first with the Alpha at 165F (bottom of recommended range), malts at 148F, then Gluco at 110F before pitching at 85F.

Now, if they would only develop a compound that will squeeze my grains. I would call it Mop-bucket Amylase. Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

OtisT wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:58 am
Now, if they would only develop a compound that will squeeze my grains. I would call it Mop-bucket Amylase. Otis
I'd be a buyer!
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

For anyone looking for the enzyme spec sheets for the AA-400 (AHA-400) and GA-150 enzymes, I filled in their 'contact us' form and got a quick response with the attached PDFs.
AA 400 spec sheet.pdf
(778.09 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
GA 150 Spec sheet.pdf
(883.78 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Figured posting them here might help others looking for them. I don't know why they wouldn't just post them on the product pages.
8Ball
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by 8Ball »

TwoSheds wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:50 am For anyone looking for the enzyme spec sheets for the AA-400 (AHA-400) and GA-150 enzymes, I filled in their 'contact us' form and got a quick response with the attached PDFs.

AA 400 spec sheet.pdf
GA 150 Spec sheet.pdf

Figured posting them here might help others looking for them. I don't know why they wouldn't just post them on the product pages.
Thanks, TwoSheds!
🎱 The struggle is real and this rabbit hole just got interesting.
Per a conversation I had with Mr. Jay Gibbs regarding white oak barrel staves: “…you gotta get it burning good.”
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Hmm that looks interesting. ph 5.5 to 7.0 so with hard water likely not need much if anything to adjust ph.
190F be great for corn.. with the high temp enzyme.. and then use the low temp.

With other enzymes and 2.4lb per gallon I got 1.070 and sometimes .1080 so up to just over 85% efficient.. that's pretty good.

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

bitter wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:35 am Hmm that looks interesting. ph 5.5 to 7.0 so with hard water likely not need much if anything to adjust ph.
190F be great for corn.. with the high temp enzyme.. and then use the low temp.

With other enzymes and 2.4lb per gallon I got 1.070 and sometimes .1080 so up to just over 85% efficient.. that's pretty good.

B
Exactly what I thought, nice wide range! I have some working on corn for a HBB right now in fact.

I'll post back with my results, but to be fair, I have nothing to compare it to given this is my first all-grain. Fingers crossed!!!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:22 pm
Exactly what I thought, nice wide range! I have some working on corn for a HBB right now in fact.

I'll post back with my results, but to be fair, I have nothing to compare it to given this is my first all-grain. Fingers crossed!!!
Get the corn as fine as you can cornmeal and you will likely be better than 1.080 Get the water hot like 190 and start adding corn mixing with a drill
Add some the high temp enzyemes to keep it from being a nasty mess. I liek to keep at 185F for 45 minute to an hour at that point insulate my pot and then let natually cool till temp for next temp range. I give it a stire every hour.

Ph is important check it.. Also some enzymes need calcium at a minimum PPM or the fange narrows. Temperature PH and time important. After putting second enzyme in I let naturally cool normally next day and pitch a good amount of yeast..

Getting the corn separated is a PITA unless you have a jacketed boiler with a mixer.

Good luck Corn once you get into the hearts has a reall nice sweet almost cream corn tast to it.. over time not long a few weeks that nice sweetness goes away.. and then it cna have depending on the corn and bach almost an earth tequila like quality.. On oak its turn out really nice!!!

B
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

Thanks Bitter, glad I'm not the only one who's looking at an overnight cool down before pitching!

The corn was flaked and holding temps up doesn't seem to be an issue.

Have some fresh corn in the freezer I need to figure out what to do with, but that's another project for another day.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:27 pm Thanks Bitter, glad I'm not the only one who's looking at an overnight cool down before pitching!

The corn was flaked and holding temps up doesn't seem to be an issue.

Have some fresh corn in the freezer I need to figure out what to do with, but that's another project for another day.
There is risk. I mash in basment so cooles faster than some.. an infection can set in but since boiled almost its pasturieze so most time ok.. and more traditional lower temp mash may not go as well and higher chance of infection occuring.

B
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

for what it's worth, I use those enzymes and add the alpha to my finely ground corn on the way up to boil. I let it bubble for 30 min or so while stirring, and it stays thin the whole time. It never thickens up. Boiling temp might break down some of them, but enough remains to do the job.

I'm on a double-wall kettle, so folks with an immersion heater won't be able to do that, but I'd say don't be afraid to get the high-temp enzymes too hot.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

So if I can hop in here for a moment....

I've been using the Enzymash for years.
Am I likely to see a vast improvement on my conversions by switching to these enzymes?
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:48 am So if I can hop in here for a moment....

Am I likely to see a vast improvement on my conversions by switching to these enzymes?
I didn't. The Ferm-Solutions are just easier to find nowadays. Mind the dosage and temperature differences and you'll be fine.
Hillbilly Popstar
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Hillbilly Popstar »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:24 am
Hillbilly Popstar wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:48 am So if I can hop in here for a moment....

I didn't. The Ferm-Solutions are just easier to find nowadays. Mind the dosage and temperature differences and you'll be fine.
Sorry, I misspoke...
I've been using the SEBstar enzymes. Which if I am not mistaken are the same ones that were offered on Enzymash.
"Making likker with a hydrometer and thermometer is like measuring the length of a 2x4 with a clock"
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I understood what you were saying. 😉
When my sebstar enzymes ran out, I switched to the Ferm-Solutions product. I've not noticed a difference in efficiency between the two.
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

FYI, I asked about when to add the GA 150. Many talk about adding gluco- with malts but their instructions say to add it with the yeast.

Their response was "we always recommend adding the GA with the yeast" so that's what I did. I suspect it would work either way, but that was their recommendation.

TwoSheds
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

That's interesting. I've always relied on gluco to 'finish' conversion so I could get an OG.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by greggn »

TwoSheds wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:20 am

Their response was "we always recommend adding the GA with the yeast" so that's what I did.

Time is money and a commercial distillery, with a solidly repeatable mashing protocol, needn't have their workers shoe-gaze for 90 minutes when, instead, the gluco and yeast can work in tandem.

I use the Ferm-Solutions enzymes exactly as I did with the SEB enzymes and have not noticed a difference in my product.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:03 am That's interesting. I've always relied on gluco to 'finish' conversion so I could get an OG.
Have you measured gravity before and after the GA? I am curious how much it changed.
Powder Monkey
Novice

Post by Powder Monkey »

jward wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:44 pm
Twisted Brick wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:03 am That's interesting. I've always relied on gluco to 'finish' conversion so I could get an OG.
Have you measured gravity before and after the GA? I am curious how much it changed.
In my past five or six bourbon type recipes I’ve had GA change FG readings anywhere from an immeasurable amount up to 0.01 measured with refractometer. There is some correlation when I use a larger percentage of home malt and I assume having less DP and poorer conversion.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

jward wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:44 pm
Sorry, I think my answer was confusing. After achieving complete conversion (with gluco) confirmed by a successful starch test, I measure OG. I feel that by adding the gluco at the beginning of the ferment, my post-conversion OG reading will be off. FWIW, I’ve done parallel (bourbon) tests with and without gluco and the gluco mashes have come in up to .03pts higher.

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
habaz
Novice

Post by habaz »

I used corn flour in the mash instead of flakes and fermenting now without seperating the corn. But it was not possible to measure the OG since the mash was so dense. Is there a way to measure the OG without seperating the corn? I am using hydrometer
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

Thanks Powder Monkey and Twisted Brick. I would expect that alpha would get complete conversion of the starch but leave some complex, unfermentable sugars that the gluco would cut up so the yeast could eat all simple sugars. I was wondering what the gravity would be after the alpha got done and then after the gluco got done.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

habaz wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 am I used corn flour in the mash instead of flakes and fermenting now without seperating the corn. But it was not possible to measure the OG since the mash was so dense. Is there a way to measure the OG without seperating the corn? I am using hydrometer
Usually within a couple of hours I have some larger bits of corn floating but most has settled down. I can insert a funnel and as I push it in, it goes through the floating corn and allows a fairly clear liquid to come up. Put that in a cylinder to get a SG reading. Worst is a have to filter from one cylinder to another if I still have too much sediment.
habaz
Novice

Post by habaz »

subbrew wrote:
habaz wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:19 am I used corn flour in the mash instead of flakes and fermenting now without seperating the corn. But it was not possible to measure the OG since the mash was so dense. Is there a way to measure the OG without seperating the corn? I am using hydrometer
Usually within a couple of hours I have some larger bits of corn floating but most has settled down. I can insert a funnel and as I push it in, it goes through the floating corn and allows a fairly clear liquid to come up. Put that in a cylinder to get a SG reading. Worst is a have to filter from one cylinder to another if I still have too much sediment.
Thanks for your reply. I think either i put too much corn flour or did not wait enough for enzimes to finish their job before starting fermentation. I will try it next time as you explained.
ddizzle22
Bootlegger

Post by ddizzle22 »

Definitely looking to get some stuff from them.