Yeasts for Ferminting Apples

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

Yeasts for Ferminting Apples

Post by Tater »

Ive use the Lalvin ec1118 yeast for fruits and like the results Ive gotten from it. Last time I replenished my yeast at winery I notice on a yeast chart they had.Lavin D47 was recommended for apples.Any one know anything about this yeast picking up some fresh cider tomorrow and gonna try it out unless I hear a reason not to.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
blind drunk
retired

Re: Yeasts for Ferminting Apples

Post by blind drunk »

No personal experience but you tweaked my curiosity and I found this description on a beer and wine site -
Dry Whites and blush wines
Alcohol tolerance 12-14%. D-47 For complex whites with citrus and floral notes
D47 is a Côtes du Rhône isolate for the production of full-bodied barrel fermented Chardonnay and other white varietals. Although ICV-D47 has an optimum temperature range of 18° to 28°C, the best results are obtained at around 20°C. When left on lees, ripe spicy aromas with tropical and citrus notes are developed. ICV-D47 is a high polysaccharide producer known for its accentuated fruit and great volume
Sounds quite good. Cheers, bd.
I do all my own stunts
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

read that also and also read it was good for mead.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
trimpy
Novice

Post by trimpy »

Ive made many gallons of hard cider and like EC-1118 the best overall. Ive used D-47, 71B, and bakers and like them in that order (best to worst). I use D-47 almost exclusively in my meads because of the nice fruitiness it lends, but I find that 1118 gives a better apple specific fruit character.
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Very old thread but I thought I would add to it. In fermenting ciders usually use eC-1118 but if it is particularly acid batch of apples I have found that EC-1118 will struggle. D-47 seems to take the acid in stride and keeps on fermenting. So if I am making a tart apple cider it is D-47/.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

When doing some research on making my own hard cider, the forums I read recommended Nottingham Ale Yeast. When I was up in the NY Finger Lakes last year, I found a cider that was fermented with Belle Saison.

Both made a fine tasting homebrew cider!

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

I like Nottingham for cider, mine is usually ~5% abv.
:)
TwoSheds
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TwoSheds »

I tend to let cider run with wild yeast but have used both D-47 and EC-1118 for both cider and mead. My experience was that the EC-1118 didn't bring enough flavor out in either so I prefer D-47 or wild (if you're the adventurous type.)