Mash with ANGEL YEAST

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: Mash with ANGEL YEAST

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I found this today. Good grief that's a ton of work:

Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I did Sake and followed a traditional method and it came out great. It was fairly involved so I think there's a lot of room in the process for diversity in creating different profiles. Another rabbit hole lol... My cellar is nice and consistently cool in winters so the extended cool ferment works very well..

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

The ingredients of the Angel Starter of Liquor-Making are yeast, rhizopus, and food aditives(Alpha amylase, glucoamylase, phytase)

Myself, I do not understand chinese not I have anyone teaching me how to use this apart of the simple instructions in English of the package. It says starter is activated by 5-10 times hot water (35ºC)

The key here I think is that the main mold, rhizopus grows best at temperatures around 30ºC and it is recommended not to go beyond 35ºC

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Eff ... _221922673

The way to understand it is simple: this mold develops better in the hot temperatures of South Asia. This mold is not designed to mashing, just needs some incubation period, some few days at around tropical temperatures, around 30º C and it would help to create the necessary enzymes to convert the starches of the grain to fermentable sugars.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

There's a fairly extensive thread on this yeast in the Mashing section: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=76531

I've done several mashes with it: oats/honey/barley, CROW, and some rice. All are less than 3 months old, so I don't have any "aged" end product to comment on yet, but no complaints on skipping the heat/sparge steps. As with everything else we do, it's an exercise in patience... Takes about 4 weeks to complete, but if you have the time/space, no worries!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Distilling wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:49 am The ingredients of the Angel Starter of Liquor-Making are yeast, rhizopus, and food aditives(Alpha amylase, glucoamylase, phytase)

Myself, I do not understand chinese not I have anyone teaching me how to use this apart of the simple instructions in English of the package. It says starter is activated by 5-10 times hot water (35ºC)

The key here I think is that the main mold, rhizopus grows best at temperatures around 30ºC and it is recommended not to go beyond 35ºC

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Eff ... _221922673

The way to understand it is simple: this mold develops better in the hot temperatures of South Asia. This mold is not designed to mashing, just needs some incubation period, some few days at around tropical temperatures, around 30º C and it would help to create the necessary enzymes to convert the starches of the grain to fermentable sugars.
Clarification: I had opened the post because I used that yeast in an "alternative" way, that is, using only the enzymes contained in it in a traditional must. The usual use (according to the instructions) is to pour hot water over the material to be fermented, let the temperature cool down and then pour the yeast / mushroom mixture.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:46 am There's a fairly extensive thread on this yeast in the Mashing section: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=76531

I've done several mashes with it: oats/honey/barley, CROW, and some rice. All are less than 3 months old, so I don't have any "aged" end product to comment on yet, but no complaints on skipping the heat/sparge steps. As with everything else we do, it's an exercise in patience... Takes about 4 weeks to complete, but if you have the time/space, no worries!
The post was based on a different use of that yeast. When I first bought there many years ago (maybe there weren't even forum posts) I noticed that there were amylase enzymes in the ingredients so I decided to test that yeast in a traditional mash.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

rubberduck71 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:46 am Takes about 4 weeks to complete, but if you have the time/space, no worries!
Mine haven't shown any activity, or any change in SG and refractive index beyond 10 days. Instructions on the bag say 8-15 days.
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

I understand what Demy says very well. No need to worry about a experiment! :lol: :lol:

Otherwise the instructions specify some temperature incubation for the first 3 days: 26ºC - 38ºC, (32ºC optimal).

I think, it is the necessary time and temp for the mold to develop properly. A properly developed mold would release many more enzymes than the ones you used.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Distilling wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:53 pm I understand what Demy says very well. No need to worry about a experiment! :lol: :lol:

Otherwise the instructions specify some temperature incubation for the first 3 days: 26ºC - 38ºC, (32ºC optimal).

I think, it is the necessary time and temp for the mold to develop properly. A properly developed mold would release many more enzymes than the ones you used.
Yes, I add to all this that the instructions on the package I think are a commercial simplification, that is, I believe that for a good result (without going through a mash) it is necessary to make a gelatinization of the starches passing through a cooking so that there is a good yield. . and an easier job for enzymes and molds, at least that's my experience based on various evidence. In practice, this yeast is an alternative to mash as long as the starches are somehow "ready" to be attacked. In all the posts there is talk of excluding any cuisine but I think it is a mistake. This is not part of my experiment where I just show that it can be used as a source of "emergency" enzymes.
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

I think you are right about the convinience to some gelatinization/cooking of the substrate. I have been doing rice wine with another Angel product, Rice Leaven, that is pure mold, no enzymes, just Rhizopus Oryzae, and I have been soaking and cooking the rice each time. And it works!

They recommend that rice should be cooked until is easily squeezed with your fingers.

At the other end, the prospect of the Angel Leaven https://en.angelyeast.com/upload/files/ ... leaven.pdf does not point to this: "Angel leaven is a specially selected strain and complex nutrients for alcohol beverage fermentation under non-cooking process."

But I would take this with a pinch of salt. As you said, starches should be accessible, first days temps are important for a good fermentation with this mold, particle size and the type of grain are important. Not all the starches are equal :shock: :shock: :esmile:

In the prospect, afterwards, we got this warning: "The fermentation cycle is related to raw material type, raw material reduction degree, distiller’s yeast dosage and, fermentation temperature. The fermentation cycle of general raw materials shall be short when the reduction degree is small, and the distiller’s yeast consumption is high; contrarily, the fermentation cycle shall be be long."
Distilling
Novice

Post by Distilling »

And long fermentation, in a typical home with not much temp control, if you have not access to some controlled cool place, is just too risky :econfused:
danwbrews
Novice

Post by danwbrews »

You can get Angel Yeast on AMAZON and EBAY in the US. Just look at the packaging to make sure it is the one for Alcohol Starter they have for Baking also.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

danwbrews wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:26 am You can get Angel Yeast on AMAZON and EBAY in the US. Just look at the packaging to make sure it is the one for Alcohol Starter they have for Baking also.
They have a huge range including wine and whisk(e)y yeasts For Yellow Label I have found best results come with very hot water onto the grain then let it gradually cool to 35C before adding the yeast. Stir daily for 3 days and let it sit for 21 days.

For conventional use I also like the red label which is higher temperature tolerant and also works down to pH2.5.

Also bear in mind that there are other makers of very similar yeasts to the yellow label.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

I never gelatinize or heat. Seems to work fine. I am not in a cold climate though.