BEER trub, possible nutrient for the yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Demy
Master of Distillation

BEER trub, possible nutrient for the yeast?

Post by Demy »

Generally when we produce the beer (all-grain) in the bottom of the kettle remains a certain amount of trub ... while we try to separate when we produce beer I am wondering if they could use as a nourishing for the yeast in sugar washing since they contain Many substances useful for yeast (except hops) .... have any of you ever think of this?
Last edited by Demy on Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
30xs
Swill Maker

Re: Post boiling trub, possible nutrient for the yeast?

Post by 30xs »

I think it’s been said in other threads that fresh yeast provides more nutrients than spent. I also think that I may be thinking in reference to making neutrals. Grain based spirits usually have enough nutes coming from the grains themselves. I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable will be along to provide a better answer, but from what I remember spent yeast is best tossed in the composite pile.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

30xs wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:54 am I think it’s been said in other threads that fresh yeast provides more nutrients than spent. I also think that I may be thinking in reference to making neutrals. Grain based spirits usually have enough nutes coming from the grains themselves. I’m sure some of the more knowledgeable will be along to provide a better answer, but from what I remember spent yeast is best tossed in the composite pile.
I know the subject but I am not talking about boiled yeast, I am talking about the solids that remain in the kettle after making beer, then use a waste of beer and reuse it in the distillation field.
Stonecutter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Stonecutter »

I think it’s definitely a viable resource Demy. Obviously the yeast had their way with the previous nutrients and how much was left and/or how much was available would be completely subjective. You’d also want to make sure it was a “clean” stress free ferment with a flavor profile you were looking for in a subsequent batch.
Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing.
-Thomas Paine
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I think I should further articulate, there is a misunderstanding in the answers ... perhaps the fault of my language.
With "Trub" I mean the clot of proteins, fatty acids, hops and other things that we generally get from the kettle in the "homebrewing" field, therefore before the beer enters the fermenter ... the stuff has not suffered any fermentation so no frustration of the yeast .... it is very different from the "slurry" that is obtained from fermentation.
Now I think that, except for hops, this "trub" could be a source of nutritious for the yeast in products that will be distilled, the trub in general is discarded in the homebrewing field but it could be useful for distillers.
I have not seen such topics on the forum for which I thought of a discussion about this .... thoughts?
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: BEER trub, possible nutrient for the yeast?

Post by Rrmuf »

I think you might be on to something if it hasn't been tried before: You should try a sugar wash recipe adding nothing but PH-balanced water and sugar to the trub. Possibly add oyster shells for PH buffers. Assuming the beer making process doesn't denature the yeast, it should kick up. You might need to add yeast otherwise.
-- Rrmuf
Rrmuf
Rumrunner

Re: BEER trub, possible nutrient for the yeast?

Post by Rrmuf »

... Do let us know how it goes if you do try. I have a beer-making son that I could enlist to make washes for me :-)
-- Rrmuf
Ben
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Ben »

When I do all grain for distillers beer and sparge I skip the whirlpool step I would normally do with hopped beer, just let it all in the ferment. Is the idea that you would whirlpool or settle the all grain, then use the sediment from the all grain batch to nourish a sugar wash? Or are you meaning to take the trub from an all grain batch after fermentation and use it?

Definitely don't want trub from a hopped beer batch, the bitter hop remnants are sure to ruin your distillate.
30xs wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:54 am I think it’s been said in other threads that fresh yeast provides more nutrients than spent.
I'm a little confused by this, what makes yeast "spent"? Yeast hulls make a fine nutrient... Yeast require a whole mess of different nutrients (like any other organism). As long as you aren't using yeast that are autolyzed it seems like it would make no difference. I guess it would if you're talking about yeast from something like a turbo, which has an ass-ton of nutrient included.
:)
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Ben wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:02 am When I do all grain for distillers beer and sparge I skip the whirlpool step I would normally do with hopped beer, just let it all in the ferment. Is the idea that you would whirlpool or settle the all grain, then use the sediment from the all grain batch to nourish a sugar wash? Or are you meaning to take the trub from an all grain batch after fermentation and use it?

Definitely don't want trub from a hopped beer batch, the bitter hop remnants are sure to ruin your distillate.
30xs wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:54 am I think it’s been said in other threads that fresh yeast provides more nutrients than spent.
I'm a little confused by this, what makes yeast "spent"? Yeast hulls make a fine nutrient... Yeast require a whole mess of different nutrients (like any other organism). As long as you aren't using yeast that are autolyzed it seems like it would make no difference. I guess it would if you're talking about yeast from something like a turbo, which has an ass-ton of nutrient included.
I generally use my hops in cones (no pellets), so I thought (at the end of boiling) to discard the hops and keep the trub that forms on the bottom of the kettle. I know that hops are not good in distillation but it should be poor since a lot of it is dissolved in beer.