chemistry question? too much amylase

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

standstill

chemistry question? too much amylase

Post by standstill »

I found out that my glass mason jar will break if it hits my big stockpot too hard. :oops:

well, not knowing what to do, i went ahead and finished mashing. The pot has 6 gallons of water, corn, rye, and wheat in it and about 8 ounces of amylase. and a broken jar... now fermentation is done. fermented 7 days with ec-1118. smells best yet, but i have concerns about so much enzyme

anybody know if there are going to be any undesirable by products from such a huge overdose of enzyme during mashing. hate to toss it out for safety concerns it smells like a winner...
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Enzymes are biochemical catalysts--they are very specific in their action, so will not (usually, 99.99% of the time, though there are exceptions) cause side-reactions. If it smells good, go with it!! I would distill pretty quickly (mash to distill time, that is), if you're worried about all the "extra" protein, though.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
Pieterpost
Swill Maker

Post by Pieterpost »

indeed, wouldn't worry about it ! (I would worry more about the glass, be carefull that you don't cut yourself)

say it would happen again you could always:

heat the mash to inactivate the enzyme (downside is that you also inactivate the yeast). Then add some more yeast and the proper quantity of enzyme!
standstill

thanks for the advice

Post by standstill »

I went ahead and ran with it. My concerns came from reading somewhere that excess protiens could cause excess methanol and other nasties... didn't seem to be a problem this time tho. There were some strong heads, but after that the main cuts are great. Actually the calculated yield and my actual yield were right on. (anyone else do this?)