beano

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

beano

Post by Guest »

can you use beano as malt??? if so is there a down side to using beano???
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

No, this was covered just the other day on here. Beano only converts the stage of a sugar. It does not convert starch to sugar.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post by Guest »

is there any other way of turning starch into sugar besides malting???
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Ginger root contains the enzime to convert starch to sugar. Gert Strand whiskey yeast also contains the amalyse enzime.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
Watershed
Swill Maker

Post by Watershed »

You can also buy amylase or complete enzyme mixes ( prestige do some ) or get an active malt extract from the home brew shop.

Or use saliva - a traditional way of converting is to chew the material and spit it out into a fermenting vessle. It's a method used for chicha and poi.

Post by Guest »

lol are you serious about using salvia???
Watershed
Swill Maker

Post by Watershed »

It would work and it's been used by many cultures to make beer from a wide variety of plants but I'm not sure I'd try a beer made that way.
One Feisty Old Lady

Post by One Feisty Old Lady »

Geez! :shock:
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

I was using Beano for just that reason, to convert startches to sugars and now I"m told that it doesn't work. Other then malted corn or spit(yuck!) is there anything that you can pick up at the local Wal-Mart that'll work?
The Chemist
Trainee

Post by The Chemist »

Not really at Walmart, but some malted barley from your local homebrew supply (or online), not DME (dried malt extract), will do the trick. You only need, say, 10% of you mashbill.
Purposeful motion, for one so insane...
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

The one guy locally that did sell brewing supplies went out of business so online would be my only other option. I really do like to try and find stuff locally so I can get what I need at the drop of a hat and not have to wait for UPS to deliver stuff. What exactly was/is the Beano doing in our mash when we put it in? Is there any benifit to using it or is it just a waste of money? Also, if I picked up some feed corn at the local Co-Op and cracked it could I malt it or is it treated or something so it'll last longer and not sprout and malt? So many questions, so little time, LOL.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

You got a microbrewery in your area? That's where I buy my malt by the sack.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

The only thing close to a Microbrewry is a Winery a couple miles away. Other then that there's pretty much no place to get brewing supplies. I guess I can go to Knoxville or Nashville and look around but that's a heck of a drive. I may just keep on doing like I've been doing, seemed to have good results in the past, I'd just like to try and use more corn meal and less sugar but if a sugar wash will get me some 'shine then I guess that's what I'll have to use.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

The guy at your local winery may be able to order you some amylase in powder form, I've seen it in my local brew shop before and I know you could order it online and keep a supply of it at home. I'm not sure of the potency or if it works as malted barley would and be effective in the step conversion process. Anyone here ever tried it? It was cheaper than cracked malted barley at the brew store, seems like it was $2 a bottle.

Maybe that won't work afterall, here's a link from Gert Strand that says it converts starches to dextrins...unfermentable sugars. http://www.distillery-yeast.com/amylase.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.