Same Yeast 2 differnt manufactures???

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

W.S.C.beachman
Swill Maker

Same Yeast 2 differnt manufactures???

Post by W.S.C.beachman »

Lavlin is made by who??? Both of these places say they make it, unless I am just tripen!!!
Rite on top of page for lalvin yeast is a Lallemand tittle

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://www.lallemand.com/home/eng/index.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Then on the White labs page: At bottom!!
http://www.whitelabs.com/distilling/yeast.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Can some one please explain what is going on hear!!
rubber duck
retired

Re: Same Yeast 2 differnt manufactures???

Post by rubber duck »

If your talking about 1118 they both manufacture it. Many strains are produced by multiple company's, the chico strain is a good example. Wyeast, whitelabs, and safale all make the chico strain.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
W.S.C.beachman
Swill Maker

Post by W.S.C.beachman »

Ok, I was talking more about the 71B I picked up for my brandy, but I did not realize that different manufactures propagate the same yeasts. Does that mean that if you buy from the different company's that the yeast will behave the same way as far as smell, finishing times, starting times and such?
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Provided that you change nothing at all, the end result will be the same. Like using shell or bp fuel.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
W.S.C.beachman
Swill Maker

Post by W.S.C.beachman »

I'm gona check out a couple different critters from Lallemand. They have what appears to be some good yeast just for distillation. Yah I know most of the brands have yeasts that are supposed to be just for that, but after doing a bit of reading I am convinced to try them out. I really like the way the Lalvin ferments.
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by blanikdog »

Lalvin EC-1118 is my favourite wine yeast. A good product IMHO.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.
W.S.C.beachman
Swill Maker

Post by W.S.C.beachman »

I used the EC-1118 with the Gerber wash and thought it worked well. I will have to try it on the fruits as well. There is alot of good product out their. Now if I could convince my boss to pay me to mash and distill instead of machine I would be doing a hell of alot more trial and air runs...:)
Redfoot
Novice

Post by Redfoot »

EC1118 is a good choice,but IMHO K1V1116 is a better choice for fruits.
Fine minds like fine steels, are forged by hard knocks.
seravitae
Swill Maker

Post by seravitae »

With many companies producing the same yeast, are they paying royalties or have other licensing agreement present?
With such established genetics, surely someone has patented or secured IP on that particular strain...?
I'm unsure about copyright/royalties/patents on brewing yeasts, but I am certainly interested to learn about it if anyone has any experience.
W.S.C.beachman
Swill Maker

Post by W.S.C.beachman »

Hey I just picked up some of that K1V1116, Ill be tryin it out this weekend. Cant wait!!
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

most yeast comes from the wiled, from wine in France,beer in Belgian,rum from Jamaica etc. these are isolated and reproduced.
so you could have a patent on some proses or if you generic altered yeast.(like turbos) but most yeast start out wiled,so most are not patented.