bakers yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bakers yeast

Post by Guest »

is it possible to make good whiskey or brandy with bakers yeast??? i heard bakers yeast is alright for rum washed why is that???

Post by Guest »

washes*
jbrew9999

Post by jbrew9999 »

different yeasts result in different flavors in the wash. Whisky producers prefer the flavors imparted by yeasts other than bakers yeast.
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

First post I ever made on Home Distillers Forms was about yeast. I have nerver added any yeast of any kind to my mash. In the summer months of ninety degree or plus temperture my mash will be worked off in seven days or less without it. You drink store bought whiskey and maybe burp or belch a few minutes later and you'll usally taste what you drinked agin. The way I make it don't give that result so I don't add any yeast to mine.
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
Bujapat
Swill Maker

Post by Bujapat »

Hi! I used baker yeast a few times to make pure corn wash. It works.
The bourbon I made so has quite a good taste.

I use baker yeast only when I haven't other... I prefer try some beer or wine yeast, but baker yeast is cheaper and easier to find around my city.

In regard with price and facility, baker yeast could be a good choice.

By the way, does anybody knows what's the difference between baker yeast called "Saccharomyces Cerevisiae var. Cerevisiae" and wine yeast with the same latin name?
I'm french speaking!

Boiler : 50 L (13 gal) beer keg, gas heated.
Reflux : 104 cm (41 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter withh SS scrubbers packing.
Potstill : 40 cm (15 inches) column 54 mm (2 inches) diameter without packing.
Nichevo
Novice

Post by Nichevo »

I have had very good luck with bakers yeast. From what I have read it will only get up to about %14 max, but many people say it tastes better than turbo yeasts. I like this KISS approach: sugar, tomato paste and bakers yeast. The caveat is that I plan on making flavorless spirits to mix and liquers like kahlua and baileys, if you want to make other stuff you may be better of with another yeast all together.
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

By the way, does anybody knows what's the difference between baker yeast called "Saccharomyces Cerevisiae var. Cerevisiae" and wine yeast with the same latin name?

they are the same speciese the way 2 cows are the same...example

cow 1 breed=holstien; black and white, comercial milk cow, gives lots of milk......speciese=Bovine

cow 2 breed=jersey; brown and white,personal cows for small family farm,gives smaller milk production,but with high butter fat...speciese=bovine

yeast can reproduce sexually, and asexually, and they can exchange genetics

I hope that this helps answer your question
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I use bakers yeast for just about everything with good results.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

I try to use ale yeasts, homebrew shop sells WhiteLabs products,and I try to keep a live culture of all of the strains I've bought($6.50US).
My favorite among these is #007 dry english ale yeast.
Currently, I am using a dry yeast from Crosby&Baker labled as super starter distillers yeast. $6 a pound I dont have to culture it at those prices. Acording to label, 1 lb should be enough for 2000 gallons.
I have to ferment at lower temp than I would like, so I re-pitch and overpitch.

I havent used bakers yeast (except for baking) since making hard cider in the late 80's in high school.
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

Bakers yeast is all that I've used and it works out ok. I think if it was for wine or beer where the yeast would remain in the drink it might not be as good but for something that's going to be distilled where you'll only have the alcohol that the yeast make it works just fine.
Using it in a sour mash is even better because only the stronger yeast survive the higher alcohol content of the wash so the next batch you make with a sour mash will be using the more alcohol tollerant yeast. At least that's my take on it.
In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.
Grayson_Stewart
retired

Post by Grayson_Stewart »

I don't think there is alot of yeast left in wine or beer for the most part. Wine for one is racked several times to allow the yeast to settle. Beer has a slight bit of yeast that is added to create the carbonation.

As for the stronger yeast surviving, a yeast strain finally chokes off at a given alcohol percentage in the wash. Its not that one yeast cell is more potent than the next.

In making sour mash, you return some of the mash from the boiler after a run, back to the next fermenter. I don't know of any yeast that can survive the boiler.
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

possum if thats the dady type distillers yeast ive been useing it a good while and have had very good results with it
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

Grayson_Stewart wrote: In making sour mash, you return some of the mash from the boiler after a run, back to the next fermenter. I don't know of any yeast that can survive the boiler.
True, boiling does kill the yeast in the backins but the mash in the fermentor is full of yeast that are still alive in the corn meal. As long as you cool the backins down before you put it back into the fermentor you won't kill the yeast that's there and you can get another ferment from em'.
In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.