alcotec whisky yeast packet

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Craisogaenus
Novice
Location: In the place where the sun doesn't shine... West England.

Re: alcotec whisky yeast packet

Post by Craisogaenus »

There are plenty of websites that give good instructions on how to make sake just follow the same, over in the orient they use koji-kin with pretty much everything to make alcohol; potatoes, grains (rice, barley, wheat, sorghum), there is even styles of beer called third beers which are done by fermenting beans (I might might try distill some bean alcohol). There are two websites that sell it in the UK; the home brew shop and another one which I cannot remember to hand. I am currently trying to find a wholesaler in the UK (they must get their stocks from somewhere) so if I do want to use it on mass in the future then it would would be cheaper. Good sake is a difficult and tedious process to start with to do it properly but just stick at it and I believe it will be a boon.
One day we'll all look back through our bleary drunkenness and wonder ''Why was hobby distilling ever made illegal?''
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

Thanks for the reply, I will look into it, but koji seems like an expensive and perhaps infection-prone beast, compared to malted grains, which are still relatively cheap at £20 odd for 25kg. The koji is around £10 for 10g, was it? Seems like it might be fiddly to propagate, too. I will be interested to see your progress and process.
Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Yes, and I can't complain. But You have 2 kinds of whisky yeast from alcotec:

1- 23g pack http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alcotec-WHIS ... 62c84.html
2 - 73g pack http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Yeast/Spirit ... 63c83.html

But try to use Whisky Yeast & Amyloglucosidase from Coobra http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Whisky-Yeast ... 62c84.html
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

Bread yeast is very cheap and works fine for me :-)
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Mikey-moo wrote:Bread yeast is very cheap and works fine for me :-)
On whiskey and rum. Amen!

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Hi there.
Alcotec has new whisky yeast.
Old pack has a 23g, the new one has 72g - http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alcotec-WHIS ... 62c84.html
I've used both, the new one is better.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I'll save my money and stick to bread yeast. Thanks anyway.

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Radek wrote:Hi there.
Alcotec has new whisky yeast.
Old pack has a 23g, the new one has 72g - http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alcotec-WHIS ... 62c84.html
I've used both, the new one is better.
Says right on the package that it's turbo yeast... No thank you... Just say "No!" to turbo yeast...
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

Why, maybe some people have a taste that is different to yours and actually quite like the taste of turbo?

I mean if everyone had the same tastes the world would be pretty boring huh?

I have not searched specifically, but I do not remember reading anything about turbos being unsafe or impinging on any safety issues, perhaps there may have been something I could of missed although?
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

You won't find anything about safety issues with turbos.

What you will find though is a ton of posts from people wondering why their turbo yeast wash tastes like crap. That in itself is enough reason to not recommend them. We're here to make the best spirits possible, not fuel.
Radek
Novice

Post by Radek »

Dan P. wrote:Has anybody here used Alcotec whisky yeast? Any good?
-Dan
Yes - They are ok http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Alcotec-WHIS ... 62c84.html
Use also coobra whisky yeast http://alcofermbrew.com/en/Whisky-Yeast ... 62c84.html
SilverBullet
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by SilverBullet »

Radek is really promoting these Alco products, must have shares in the company lol
Spreading links everywhere
A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

rad14701 wrote:Says right on the package that it's turbo yeast... No thank you... Just say "No!" to turbo yeast...
...and it's not turbo yeast in the sense that's it's filled with all kinds of nutrition. It's pure whisky yeast with glucoamylase, to be used together with their alpha amylase enzyme. If you say don't use this then you must disapprove of all amylase products for all grain as well...
The 23g single strain whisky is actually the exact same product as their 73g Whisky Turbo Yeast.

I do agree that the name is stupid.

Ma.
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Ma Flodder wrote:If you say don't use this then you must disapprove of all amylase products for all grain as well...
Correct. You don't need any of this crap for all grain. All the enzymes needed are produced naturally by the malted grains.

This is nothing more than another marketing scam to fleece money from the uninformed.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

BayouShine wrote:You won't find anything about safety issues with turbos.

What you will find though is a ton of posts from people wondering why their turbo yeast wash tastes like crap. That in itself is enough reason to not recommend them. We're here to make the best spirits possible, not fuel.
Ok, I know a bunch of people that use turbos and they all really like the taste.

They use the HBS flavourings as well.

I might say that because these people recommend them that that in itself is reason enough to try.

From what I understand from what I have read on here the issue of safety is paramount.

Turbos are not inherently unsafe, but it seems they are frowned upon.

I would say that this is only opinion. It is 'so and so said so' and so it is.

But if peoples opinion is that turbo washes taste good to them, then, by that fact they are making what they enjoy, which is what I thought the aim of the place was, to get together to talk about ways to make something that YOU enjoy.

So why cant people discuss turbos without every man and his dog jumping in and saying they are crap?
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

xyz123 wrote:So why cant people discuss turbos without every man and his dog jumping in and saying they are crap?
:roll:

Discuss all you want. Just realize you're trying to convince the membership (with centuries worth of collective experience) that what's been proven to be a substandard product is worth their time to respond.
xyz123 wrote:
Ok, I know a bunch of people that use turbos and they all really like the taste.

They use the HBS flavourings as well.

I might say that because these people recommend them that that in itself is reason enough to try.
^^^This doesn't help your argument much either.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

I used to love Remy Martin VS cognac, until I tried the VSOP... I used to love the VSOP until I tried the XO. Now I still like the lower marques but the bar has been raised.

If you've never tried better, Turbo Yeast might make a yummy product for you, but its job is to cut corners by making the highest ABV in the shortest time with little or no regard to flavour. It's also very expensive, especially when you need the special carbon in the wash, the special finings in the wash and the carbon filter at the end... This goes against the whole point of home distilling - which, in my opinion, is to make a 'better-than-commercial' product at a reasonable price.

At the end of the day, it's your still - put whatever you like in it - but don't complain that you got shit out, when you put shit in in the first place.

rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

I'm reading some "alternative truths" here... :lolno:

Use whatever yeast you want but stop promoting Turbo Yeast, regardless of the brand...!!! Your promotion of turbo yeast is starting to appear fanatical... :problem:
Ma Flodder
Novice

Post by Ma Flodder »

BayouShine wrote:
Ma Flodder wrote:If you say don't use this then you must disapprove of all amylase products for all grain as well...
Correct. You don't need any of this crap for all grain. All the enzymes needed are produced naturally by the malted grains.

This is nothing more than another marketing scam to fleece money from the uninformed.
Well, quite a few people on this forum disagree - amylase can be quite handy when making all grain based drinks. For example when you use unmalted grains!

And for the record, yes I agree most "turbo yeasts" made to produce 16-22%ABV from a sugar wash produce crap results. It's just that this is a totally different (but oddly named) product made to make 6-8% ABV for whisky and in my humble experience it does that just fine - great conversion, no off taste. And I've brought some homemade single malts made from these yeasts to whisky tastings where they where valued as belonging in the U$D 70+ category...

Ma.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK so reluctantly but for the sake of truth I'll throw my hat in. The new alcotec whiskey yeast in not related to the strain of turbo yeasts regardless of the affiliation or the marketing name. It is a recognized whiskey strain with some fermentation enzymes added (I use this same enzyme). I've not used this yeast but have drank the resulting product and I got to say it was ok, not mind blowing but quite drinkable. Value for money hard to say, probably not. I'm not induced to buy it but plenty do
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

Ma Flodder wrote: Well, quite a few people on this forum disagree - amylase can be quite handy when making all grain based drinks. For example when you use unmalted grains!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=48126
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=47488

Here's 2 all grains from the Tried and True forum. Both use unmalted corn. Please show us where powdered amylase and whiskey yeasts with gluco are necessary for all grain.

The fact that they market this as a "whiskey" yeast and throw in some gluco (which is so slow to convert at fermenting temps that it's almost pointless) goes to show what they're all about.

Separating money from the uninformed.
xyz123
Novice

Post by xyz123 »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =35&t=5090

Nothing about the promotion of turbos in there, but it does say, and I will quote it, 'We've all got our strengths and limitations which is why we share information with each other in the first place. Remember that we're all different and nothing is going to change that fact."

I am not trying to promote the yeast, as I say, I know plenty of people who use it and are more than happy. What I am saying is that it seems that there are an amount of people on here who will shut down any conversation about it, because, in their opinion it is not a good product. It is a very subjective opinion at best.

If people want to use turbos, why not let them talk about it in a way that will enhance their forum experience rather than telling them what they are making is shit and that they can't discuss it.

?
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

We've had the discussion many many times before you registered so the information is here... Who are these "plenty of people" and how much experience do they really have in the grand scheme of things...??? As I stated, members can use what you want but stop promoting it here in these forums... The facts speak for themselves should you choose to search them out...
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

OK having not personally used the product I don't want to comment further on it but I would like to address the erroneous comment on amyloglucosidase being pointless at fermentation temperatures. That is in fact not correct, this enzyme is used by a lot of beer brewers to make low carb beer. These type of enzymes further break down long chain unfermentable saccharides into simple fermentable sugars and can do this durring the fermentation at those temps and will be completed in a normal time frame. I have used this enzyme many times and don't believe it adds any more than perhaps one day (temp dependant). The reason for the inclusion is it burns up residual sugars and dries the mash out. The extra 1 or 2% abv is not the aim here but the elimination of carry over sugars resulting in a drier smoother whiskey IMO. How good the strain of yeast coupled with it in this product is I have not a clue but it is claimed that it was sourced from scotch whiskey distillers so not the turbo high speed high abv we all know and love to hate.
So what is a whiskey yeast? Its a bit like saying what brand is a red car. There are dozens of yeasts used for this purpose, right at the moment I have two identical ferments ready to go, one with a bread yeast ( not fleischmans but and Aussie/French) strain and one with Nottingham ale yeast just to satisfy my curiosity, I have used safmalt pale ale yeast (coopers) and several others with varying opinions. Would I use these ones discussed? Well one I would not but the new one I might consider for a smallish test mash and therefore be better able to give an informed response rather than rely on tasting results with unknown protocols.if this was a typical "turbo" top loader strain I would be lacing up the jack boots with the rest of yaz but it appears to be a completely different strain of yeast altogether so I feel it needs to be peer reviewed before condemning it. Price? Oh sure there are much cheaper (and more expensive) options.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

Re Yeast discussion, the link below may prove interesting. The main story concerns Jim Rutledge's retirement from Four Roses and linked story on the importance of yeast in distilling bourbon. I wonder why Four Roses just don't buy Fleischmann's yeast in bulk. Having said that I will disclose that 99% of my ferments have been using Fleischmann's Bread yeast with, I think, good results. The story on Four Roses yeast is thought provoking and I will keep an open mind on trying a more specialized "whiskey yeast" in the future.

http://www.fredminnick.com/2015/07/01/g ... d-whiskey/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

BG