Red Star Brand Yeast Quick Reference List

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Red Star Brand Yeast Quick Reference List

Post by jetkrazee »

Just found this. "The ingredients in Red Star's bread machine yeast are yeast, ascorbic acid and sorbitan monostearate. Ascorbic acid is used as a conditioner for the dough, which can help increase the volume of the dough. Bread machine yeast is semi-dormant cake yeast that has had moisture removed, giving it a longer shelf life than cake yeast. It is a fast-acting yeast suitable for bread machines and can be mixed with other dry ingredients. No rehydration is required for use in bread machines, but the yeast can also be rehydrated and used for traditional baking. It should not be used in doughs that require refrigeration or freezing".
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Never noticed it before. My bad.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

No sweat Prairie.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I still wouldn't call it a turbo yeast. LOL
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

Agreed! LOLOL
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

Thinking it might be worth a try as in my area it is the same cost as the "standard dry active".
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If you have a sams or Costco and have a membership. Yeast is much cheaper there. Usually under $5 for 2 lbs.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
jetkrazee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jetkrazee »

Thanks for the tip. :)
HORAMY
Novice

Post by HORAMY »

I just went to the shop where I usually get the yeast and they have not distiller´s yeast anymore.

They offer me this one

Do you think it will work for the Uncle Jesse's Simple Sour Mash Method ?

Cheers
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

It will work. I don't use it. But others do. Many use a champagne yeast for many different washes. Usually because they have a higher alcohol content resistance. But have a cleaner ferment.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
Essayons
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Essayons »

Red Star® Côte des Blancs (Davis 750), a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, has been derived from a selection of the Geisenheim Institute in Germany. It is a relatively slow fermenter, identical to Geisenheim Epernay, but producing less foam. This yeast requires nutrient addition for most chardonnay fermentations. Côte des Blancs produces fine, fruity aromas and may be controlled by lowering temperature to finish with some residual sugar. It is recommended for reds, whites, sparkling cuvées and non-grape fruit wines (especially apple).. Ferments best between 17°-30°C (64°-86°F). Sensitive below 13°C (55°F).
___________________________________________________________________________________

By relatively slow fermenter they mean vs. ?

And would this yeast produce a decent end product?

And to what form/recipe would this yeast preferentially enjoy most?
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Having some issues with the Red Star Cote des Blancs Wine Yeast activating. Tried 2 packs. It just won't activate when I add 90f water to it. Any ideas? Is it ok to still add it to mash even though it's not bubbling or should I just add a pack to the mash dry?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Frosty36 wrote:Having some issues with the Red Star Cote des Blancs Wine Yeast activating. Tried 2 packs. It just won't activate when I add 90f water to it. Any ideas?
When you say, “activating”...what are you meaning?

When using dry yeast (of any variety), it is ALWAYS wise to rehydrate it. Because dry yeast removes all the water from the cell, the remaining structure (cell wall) is very brittle. Simply dumping it into a high gravity sugar wash will create tremendous osmotic pressures on the cell wall. That can/will cause the cells to implode. That “kills” viability.

So, you “rehydrate” in warm water (without sugar added) so that the cell structure is restored as the cell fills with water. This will balance the pressures inside the single cell structures to the solution into which the yeast is pitched. This significantly improves viability.

However, a warm water rehydrating solution does not contain fermentables or nutrients which will aid the yeast in “budding”, or reproduction, which is necessary for a ferment to “activate”. This will occur in the fermenter...not the rehydration jar.

And remember, oxygen is a vital need for the budding phase of the fermentation cycle. So, proper aeration is also a key component of the brewing process.
Frosty36 wrote:Is it ok to still add it to mash even though it's not bubbling or should I just add a pack to the mash dry?
Again, dry yeast should be rehydrated for success. And increasing the quantity of yeast may help overcome the loss of cells due to osmotic implosion. But, it is not the best brewing process to adopt. Treat the yeast properly..and it’ll treat you fairly in return.

Of course, there is always a possibility that the yeast you bought is simply too old to be viable. A long period of inactivation in improper storage conditions, such as a hot environment, can destroy yeast viability. Typically, dry yeast manufacturers stamp a “best if used by” date onto the packets. If you’ve long since passed that date, it probably is best to buy new yeast.

Good luck.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Frosty36
Novice

Post by Frosty36 »

Hey SS,
Thanks for the info. I typically add warm water to the yeast, around 90 to 100 degrees and give it about 20 minutes to work. No sugar is added. When I did this the yeast didnt really do anything. I tried the packs I had and basic bread yeast. Both were within there "best by" date. After letting the wine yeast sit for 20 minutes I pitched it and hoped for the best. It's actually working as we speak. Not sure why it didnt bloom or bubble like would be expected, but worked once pitched?