Fleischmann's Yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

corntornado

Fleischmann's Yeast?

Post by corntornado »

Hi i was just at a restauraunt supply house and they sell Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast #2133 . It comes in a 2lb. bag for less then 2 dollars. Anyone have any experience with this yeast? Should it work ok for a sugar wash? how about mollasses/sugar wash for rum? I bought it cause it was cheap. Think it will work ok? Thanks in advance.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Try using search feature on this sight
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Peachey
Novice

Post by Peachey »

I've never tried it, I normally stick with turbos. I'm now moving into the mashing world :? so will be using normal bakers yeast. I guess if it's a bakers yeast, it'll be just fine.
“Power intoxicates men. When a man is intoxicated by alcohol, he can recover, but when intoxicated by power, he seldom recovers.”
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

It will work great for rum only (generally speaking). like tater said do some research, expecially on the home distiller site in his sig... Also dont expect any turbo wash like ferments, it will take longer than most specialty yeasts, but the final product will taste good.... it also has limited alcohol tolerences, so read more and figure out your max sg before pitching the yeast.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

If I can add alittle to what the moron and peachey said... :P

Bakers yeast like Fleishmans works fine, but like everyother yeast it has limitations and specific characteristics. It has about a 10 to 12% alcohol tolerance. Thats low compared to some, but its also just right for some techniques. It has its own unique flavor profile. Turbos, in my opinion have a uniquely crappy flavor profile. Some really bad flavors come from turbos. Bakers yeast is pretty non offensive in my experience. Other yeasts have their own unique flavor profile. I think this is a HUGE topic... Try reading the websites of a few yeast suppliers...

Don't let the price fool you though, you can grow out a little 59 cent pack of ec 1118 or any other yeast into about any quantity you want.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

If it is anything like Red Star's active dry bakers yeast, it will work great for just about anything.
I use Red Star, and I usually get somewhere between 12%-14%, and the product taste great.
I use it for Rum, and Fruit, a couple experimental batches, and a couple sugar washes. All of them have turned out fine, and fermented out in 2 weeks or less.

~POT
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
corntornado

Post by corntornado »

Thanks, for you guys input. I also just picked up 2 gallons of mollasses, I guess ill give it a try and make my first rum wash. Ill let you know in a few weeks how it turns out.
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

I used Fleischmann's yeast before with an apple mash, it worked just fine. I used to use it for homemade wines all the time too. It really likes and works well with any fruit. Like the other said you won't get the high alcohol like you will with a turbo, but you'll probably get a better tasting product with less conjurers and esters and other nasties.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
TN.Frank
Swill Maker

Post by TN.Frank »

I've used Fleischmann's bakers yeast from the get go. Living in a small town I've got to use what I can get and that was it. Since you're going to distill out the alcohol anyway the yeast won't come into play as much for the flavor of the finished product as they do in beer or wine.
In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

you can use fleischmann's, or you can just let your container sit open for a few hours and harvest natural yeast from the air.

that's how the moonshiners did it, and they'd only add a packet of yeast in cold temps to jumpstart fermentation.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
Hillbilly Rebel
Swill Maker

Post by Hillbilly Rebel »

...and malt.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Re: yep

Post by Captin Moron »

Uncle Jesse wrote:you can use fleischmann's, or you can just let your container sit open for a few hours and harvest natural yeast from the air.

that's how the moonshiners did it, and they'd only add a packet of yeast in cold temps to jumpstart fermentation.
must of taken forever to ferment
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: yep

Post by golden pond »

Captin Moron wrote:
Uncle Jesse wrote:you can use fleischmann's, or you can just let your container sit open for a few hours and harvest natural yeast from the air.

must of taken forever to ferment
Six to seven days in hot weather without adding yeast. :P
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: yeast

Post by Bradster68 »

junkyard dawg wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:09 pm If I can add alittle to what the moron and peachey said... :P

Bakers yeast like Fleishmans works fine, but like everyother yeast it has limitations and specific characteristics. It has about a 10 to 12% alcohol tolerance. Thats low compared to some, but its also just right for some techniques. It has its own unique flavor profile. Turbos, in my opinion have a uniquely crappy flavor profile. Some really bad flavors come from turbos. Bakers yeast is pretty non offensive in my experience. Other yeasts have their own unique flavor profile. I think this is a HUGE topic... Try reading the websites of a few yeast suppliers...

Don't let the price fool you though, you can grow out a little 59 cent pack of ec 1118 or any other yeast into about any quantity you want.
That's awsome info. Thanks. I'm new here so forgive me if I'm not posting this properly. I'm interested in some education on yeast and the how toos. I can't find much info but you mentioned checking the suppliers sites. Any other directions you could point me for some reading would be helpful.
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Fleischmann's Yeast?

Post by Bradster68 »

Ps. The reason I'm asking is those sites offer info for baking mostly. And I'm not educated in this field enough to know if there is direct correlation between baking and fermenting corn mash. I'm guessing they are not the same.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: yeast

Post by still_stirrin »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:14 pm.. I'm new here… I'm interested in some education on yeast … Any other directions you could point me for some reading would be helpful … is (there a) direct correlation between baking and fermenting corn mash...
Bradster,

Do you realize this thread was active 15 years ago? I’m sure that some of the correspondents have “moved on”. In fact, I know a few have “passed”.

Anyway, here’s a link to a starting point for you: https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Yeast

Learn to use the search tool and spend some time “digging in”. There is a world of knowledge buried within the website. Have at it.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Oh. Dam. Sorry didn't realize. Still trying to figure out how things are laid out. My bad. Thanks for the info,and the link.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:10 pm Oh. Dam. Sorry didn't realize. Still trying to figure out how things are laid out. My bad. Thanks for the info,and the link.
Not the first time a zombie thread got resurrected, and won't be the last!

That search bar in the upper right is your friend! You can also googling: [insert question/topic here] + homedistiller
image.png
image.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

🤣🤣🤣"zombie thread resurrected ".