yeast rehydration

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Captin Moron
Bootlegger

yeast rehydration

Post by Captin Moron »

http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-l ... rehyd.html

Here the lalvin site says to use 40 deg C water to rehydrate the EC-1118 yeast for 15 minuits.

On Tonys site there is numerous claims to never put yeast in water above 34 deg C because the yeast will die instantly ?????

Who is right lol. Im thinking about listening to the mfg of the yeast since they use it every day.

Also Lalvin has nothing to say about "yeast starters" They seem kind of pointless considering all the extra work involved.

Any comments on this?
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

I've always followed the directions on the back of the EC-1118 package for rehydration. It hasn't harmed the yeast.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

KatoFong wrote:I've always followed the directions on the back of the EC-1118 package for rehydration. It hasn't harmed the yeast.

how much do you pitch? I usually only pitch a 5 gram package, but it ferments pretty slow with my sugar washes. My wine kits finish in 7 days flat with the same yeast....

On tonys site many people say to pitch 100grams of the EC1118 with lots of nutrient to act as a turbo. This amount sounds outrageous to me, as well as expensive! 100 grams compared to 5 is a huge difference. That would be 20 packages. my wine shop sells them for $2.50 each! That would cost me 50 bucks!!!!!!

Am I being to cheap and under pitching my washes?
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

You are underpitching your yeasts--I usually drop in five or six packets for a five-gallon batch, and even that's low. But you're not being cheap. 2.50 per packet of Lalvin EC-1118 is outrageous. You should be able to get it for less than a dollar a packet. If you can't find it for that in your area, check online. http://www.piwine.com sells it for 66 cents a packet. Buy in bulk and it's plenty cheap.
OldStormy
Novice

Post by OldStormy »

Hi All,
As I understand it, Yeast multiplies faster than rabbits if the temperature is in the germinating range and there is sufficient nutrients to nourish it.
Starting with a little will take a little longer than starting with a lot but should still get the job done.
Cheers,
OldStormy
If at first you don't succeed - try something different,
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

give it air it reproduces seal it off n it makes alcohol. just as u say it will take longer to get a big colony going,, im currently using the last of my cylinder of yeast to start farmin my own out :P
Plastics n stillin sucks
alluminium n stillin sucks
Dont go there
NUFF SAID
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

KatoFong wrote:You are underpitching your yeasts--I usually drop in five or six packets for a five-gallon batch, and even that's low. But you're not being cheap. 2.50 per packet of Lalvin EC-1118 is outrageous. You should be able to get it for less than a dollar a packet. If you can't find it for that in your area, check online. http://www.piwine.com sells it for 66 cents a packet. Buy in bulk and it's plenty cheap.
wow it is outrageous. thanks for that site, the yeast is so cheap there! only problem is border taxes and ihsit. Ill start ordering in bulk from there if I cant find a source here in canada.

Anyone know of a good cheap online source in canada? Brewhaus.ca only sells turbos and such.
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

Yeah. The yeast will multiply and will ferment out if you underpitch it. I always end up with a lot more sediment on the bottom of my fermentor than could be accounted for by the measly five packets I pitched. But that does take longer. In my experience--and I'm not massively overpitching--EC-1118 is a fairly slow ferment. I've had a five-gallon batch take a month to ferment out, even at optimal temperatures.

On the other hand, I've been told it can do the same job in a week.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

Brett wrote:give it air it reproduces seal it off n it makes alcohol. just as u say it will take longer to get a big colony going,, im currently using the last of my cylinder of yeast to start farmin my own out :P

This is true. But my wine kits always hit the .9's during the primary fermentation ( lid on loosely open to air) and in 7 days at that! Then I transfer to my carboy with an airlock and it hits .990 in the next week. I wonder whats in those juices that make it so efficient. This is with the EC 1118 5gram pack.
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Can allways use 1 pk of yeast as a starter and grow your own.Works for sourdough users
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

KatoFong wrote:Yeah. The yeast will multiply and will ferment out if you underpitch it. I always end up with a lot more sediment on the bottom of my fermentor than could be accounted for by the measly five packets I pitched. But that does take longer. In my experience--and I'm not massively overpitching--EC-1118 is a fairly slow ferment. I've had a five-gallon batch take a month to ferment out, even at optimal temperatures.

On the other hand, I've been told it can do the same job in a week.

exactly! Im going on 3 weeks with optimum nutrients and a low starting sg, spring water, yeast hydration and 21 deg C fermenting temp. Only thing I could of done better is areate the must more before pitching. Its now at 1.025 sg. Theres so many variables involved like temperature and water which is different to everyone where each of us live. I guess everyone finds there magic formula after many washes.

Im documenting everything as I go in search of my perfect wash.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

tater wrote:Can allways use 1 pk of yeast as a starter and grow your own.Works for sourdough users
I thought this was pointless extra work till I realised Im under pitching. Maybe this is my answer. Its allot cheaper than pitching 20x the amount of dehydrated yeast.

I need more fermenters to experiment with different washes!
KatoFong
Swill Maker

Post by KatoFong »

How exactly does that work?
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

Captin Moron wrote:
Brett wrote:give it air it reproduces seal it off n it makes alcohol. just as u say it will take longer to get a big colony going,, im currently using the last of my cylinder of yeast to start farmin my own out :P

This is true. But my wine kits always hit the .9's during the primary fermentation ( lid on loosely open to air) and in 7 days at that! Then I transfer to my carboy with an airlock and it hits .990 in the next week. I wonder whats in those juices that make it so efficient. This is with the EC 1118 5gram pack.
Thats cause the lids on loose n the lack of inward air flow creates a CO2 barrier from the normal air
Plastics n stillin sucks
Dont go there
NUFF SAID
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

Get in touch with this guy to find a local outlet that sells Lalvin yeasts:
Specht, Gordon <gspecht@lallemand.com>

I sent him an email and he got back to me really quickly.

I used 20g Lalvin EC-1118 in a 20L molasses/sugar wash and it fermented out (14%) in about 5 days. I just rehydrated it per the instructions on Lalvin's site, no starter, added some Dap and kept the temp up.

Cheers,
J
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

Big J wrote:Get in touch with this guy to find a local outlet that sells Lalvin yeasts:

I used 20g Lalvin EC-1118 in a 20L molasses/sugar wash and it fermented out (14%) in about 5 days. I just rehydrated it per the instructions on Lalvin's site, no starter, added some Dap and kept the temp up.

Cheers,
J
That's about what I get with 3 7gr packets of bakers yeast
14% in 5-7 days.

~POT
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
Thorin
Novice

Post by Thorin »

how do you actually grow yeast?
can i just buy a really good yeast and grow it so i dont have to buy more?
how do i feed it? sugarwater or something?

Thorin...
Brett
Swill Maker

Post by Brett »

yup with sugar water, there was a post on the forum about it somewhere if u try a search, but the basic thing to remember is if it has oxygen it multiplys if there is no oxygen it makes alcohol.
Plastics n stillin sucks
Dont go there
NUFF SAID
golden pond
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by golden pond »

Thorin wrote:how do you actually grow yeast?
can i just buy a really good yeast and grow it so i dont have to buy more?
how do i feed it? sugarwater or something?

Thorin...
As you've probley read on here before, I don't add any yeast to my mash, I get it from the air. It does need to warm weather for this way to work well. Sometimes you can hear my mash popping and cracking 10-12 feet away. As I've been told and Uncle Jesse said also the other day, the only time yeast was added by some old moonshiners was in cooler weather to get the very first ferment started, after it got started the backset kept it going.
Never follow good whiskey with water, unless you're out of good whiskey!!!
Thorin
Novice

Post by Thorin »

du you think my old fishtank with airpump would be up tp te job?
its about 40 litres

Just put in yeast and sugarwater, put in the hose from the airpump and let it sit, just adding sugar once in a while?

wouldnt this be REALLY smelly?
TEC
Bootlegger

Post by TEC »

Thorin,

I believe that you need to keep the air sterile that you are pumping into the yeast mixture. Otherwise you will get other kinds of yeast growing in there also, not to mention other nasties.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

here

Post by Uncle Jesse »

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16604

they sell pharmaceutical grade oxygen cannisters also, or did last i looked.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

The fish tank pump can work... you can get small inline airfilters to clean the air you bubble through the yeast mix... the local stpats.com has 'em.
Captin Moron
Bootlegger

Post by Captin Moron »

Big J wrote:Get in touch with this guy to find a local outlet that sells Lalvin yeasts:

Cheers,
J

Thanks man, I found it for 75 cents a pack! woohoo
Big J
Swill Maker

Post by Big J »

Captin Moron wrote: Thanks man, I found it for 75 cents a pack! woohoo
:D